• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time to sell my car?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In February I bought a $3k(well someone bought it and I'm paying $100 month) Nissan Sentra, 2005 Special 1.8 S, black. It had over 199k miles at the time and now has just over 204k. Since February, the car has been driven less than 5k miles. I drive this car three days a week 50 mins to my gym and when school starts back to there as well.

However, with my situation dire in hopes of getting a nicer newer car with no job, I will need to sell it. Here's the thing, this car is only worth $1800 in private party according to Edmunds and KBB. Dealership retail value is over $3k. This car was advertised in Craigslist and yet it was at a used car dealership, and a BHPH, at that. Thankfully, the car was bought as is and I am only paying $100/mo to my cousin(minimum cc payment is less than $80 atm so paying over the minimum).

My cousin went out of his way for me and last thing I want to do is keep paying him if I eventually have no car to drive. It will be five months since I got this car yesterday. I feel that before it is too late I need to strike while the car is still running smoothly.......

The car runs good, except it often has trouble cranking on first attempt. This is usually due to being on pavement at gym or school under the sunlight. However it's done it at home a few times but not often. It just recently had a new battery put in but that's the only issue so far as far as runnability. Also, when getting a oil change one time a report came back about minor power steering leak and minor oil gasket. Here's the rest...

It has a few scratches here and there. There are some rust on the handles inside(such as seat lever to pull up or push back) and under the hood, and a few rust paint chips on the outer surface of the car.

The glove compartment is broke, not the lock or anything, but it comes apart sometimes and it has to be adjusted to fit right without falling. The cup holders in the back don't have the secure handles to keep anything in place.

The windows are a mess. They have a hard time rolling up when rolled too far down, you have to pull while pushing down the lever. One might be broken or not adjusted right.

And there's a hole in the carpet in the drivers side and it may be in the floor board as well, I am not sure.

Also, on the drivers side of the car, the part you pull to close the door with, that can easily come off. And there may be something that broke off in the car.

It seems the car was maintained well but the previous driver of this car must have been a drug addict or something. It does not appear to have been in a accident. Motosnoop came back clean as did Vehicle History(some free version of Carfax).

With all that described is selling this car for $1800 really the right choice? Most people today are selling cars like this that run well for much more and even cars that need repairs to run are being sold for over $2500(which is a joke if you ask me).

I am not sure I want to sell this to a private party because I could get sued in the future, so I am thinking of selling it to a dealership, not trading it as it's too cheap to do that. But can I in anyway sell this car for $2500-$3k to a dealership? I would need that much to get another good running car.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dealership retail value is over $3k.

But can I in anyway sell this car for $2500-$3k to a dealership?

I think you just answered your own question.
Of course a Dealer isn't going to give you retail for the car.

I would clean it up, and I mean clean it up like a Dealer would, make it shine, advertise it at a reasonable price like $3,900 and see who bites. Whatever KBB says it's worth retail, up by $500 and go with it.

Again??? How much do you owe on this car??

@rmilia1 will have the answer.

But we need more input.

@ktg8trgrl
@Rex Racer
@TemptressToo
@Winged_Wheel88
@moxie
@Shelby
@bonham
@outofyourmind
@B_dub
@romeo212000
@tnapucco
@KansasSooner
@Jtrain80
@BoomerNTX
@Wishbone
@MarkOU
@sooner78wakeboard
@Scapegoat
@Proud_Okie
@Wheat
@Goldbug
@Pariah
@BusSport
@8085sooner
@Nosferatu
@thunderc
@Kevin12773
@PhilSimms11
@packerzrule
@SteelersPride
@Used 2 B Hu
@tabascojet
@TigerBait1971
@puckhead
@craigk217
@Inimical
@Manster7588
@Ewa PGH Fan
@pitman
@BoiseMike19
@BTHOtu
@Psych-Ward
@BritishDolfan
@popeyecv64
@BigRedMoe
@gobigred
@gohusk
@Brasky
@huskers1217
@Tomhusker
@Skerpokes
@Stinky56
@Carnzo
@Peter Gozintite
@KingKoolKat75
@Payton
@58crash
@Eugene Baker III
@AlaskaGuy
@Guns N Guitars
@fordman84
@TheRangerDude
@beardown07
@omarsrevenge
@thedddd
@TheDayMan
@lilchi721
@USCDoom
@Battlelyon
@darken65
@mcnabb7542
@Debbie Does
@ill
@Wild Turkey
@nathans8823
@7Samurai13
@Bayou Tiger
@RobToxin
@RobBase
@Inquisitor95
@Codaxx
@Texas Jefe
@TexasExes98
@ElTexan
@bamabear82
@Bamabino
@Bandwagonbo2
@theSabanator20
@GoldRusher
@There is A Moose at 3rd
@Cowboyinexile
@Wedgie
@potzer25
@Harry Seaword
@MISKO
@fordman84
@JuiceTheGator
@douggie
@fullxtension
@FaCe-LeE-uS
@NEhomer
@obxyankeefan
@LambeauLegs
@handicappers
@Balljim55
@DetroitDevil
@Tin Man
@Nasty_Magician
@bocomo007
@Guy Incognito
@OregonDucks
@Think McFly Think
@Darrell Green Fan
@Ritzarmy
@UK Cowboy
@wlk3
@MilkSpiller22
@Shanemansj13
@jeffro151
@mr.hockey4242
@Mebert
@Godstree
@steveringo
@Wamu
@VFL1995
@trojanfan12
@BigKen
@TheRobotDevil
@Clayton
@ATL96Steeler
@Tubbs1518
@IndyAndy
@The Crimson King
@gandydancer
@SJ76
@Wings
@wildturkey
@DrewScott
@TrustMeIamRight
@MAIZEandBLUE09
@Wingingit
@mall3013
@Airraidtech
@clemtheslowson
@Judge Fudge
@Macho Grande
@Dolgevillefootballfan
@seahawksfan234
@DutchBird
@PEOPLESCHICKEN
@megalodon30
@batchaps4me
@BigAppleBadger
@Bojack_Horseman
@Sharkonabicycle
@Full Potato
@Shower Fart
@Chris p Bacon
@God

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wBPR_I.gif

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, if you're in no rush to sell, list it for $2,500 and lower over the weeks... Delete and create a new ad so it refreshes the time listed. If people see something that has been listed for 30+ days, even if you're slowly lowering the price, chances are they'll move on...

The threat of 'suing' you in selling by owner is completely harmless, assuming the car is not stolen and registered in your name. They are buying the car as is. If someone threatens to sue you later, just reply, "Go ahead." and in the < 1% chance someone follows through with it, chalk it up as a learning experience and go to Court and enjoy watching it get thrown out.

Make sure you record a bill of sale and DATE the bill of sale, that's VERY important as any damage or issues they cause afterwards could cause issues. As long as you have a bill of sale and state you are selling the car 'as is' it's completely up to the owner. If the engine falls out of the car 2 days later, not your problem.

Also it sounds like a lot of the issues are somewhat cosmetic, you can probably bust out some tools and handy fix some of the items. You can also easily remove some rust from the car yourself and paint over it with some touch up paint for cosmetic purposes.

It doesn't sound like you have any major structural damage to the car which is key.

I once sold an old Montero with a blown head gasket for $800. The car was over 200K miles with a rebuilt engine with 35K miles (which was obviously a shit rebuild considering the head gasket went). Exterior was in great shape no accident and interior controls worked. Guy even towed it for me. He was a mechanic and was just going to rebuild the engine himself. That said, repairing a busted head gasket is prob. going to cost $4-5K at a min (at a shop, at least $1K DIY). and the car obviously wont even start... so what does that tell you?

That said, a Nissan Sentra 05 is a good model. It's EXTREMELY easy to find parts or sub parts for, and as long as it runs, whatever. With any luck you'll find some stupid chick who thinks it's a great find. Clean it up nice on the outside and take pics from good angles... chicks just want something that looks cute/nice.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get 20 friends to take turns jumping a ramp with that mofo at $100 a ride !

That will bring in at least $2000.

Then claim the damage on Insurance and voila! Problem solved !

If you build the ramp correctly, the car should last at least 40 to 50 jumps.

maxresdefault1.jpg

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to be careful when looking at what other similar cars are selling for . People can ask whatever they want , doesn't mean the car is actually selling for that . That car ( as you described it ) is probably , at most , a 2 Grand rig at a dealership. My guess is that if you private seller it it'll get 1200-1500. Of course different markets bring different values but a 200k mile rig with some issues is not going to be in demand. The other issue is you're never going to be able to secure financing without a job so you're going to need a qualified cosigner . You could always ask 2500 and hope some idiot bites but it's highly unlikely . Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But can I in anyway sell this car for $2500-$3k to a dealership?

Dealerships don't "buy" cars son...they sell them !

They have no use for a car with that much mileage or that old. Whatever they claim they are giving you is what someone at an auction may pay for it...because that is where its headed. May then go to Mexico. LOL.

Let's be honest. You have a POS car. Drive it like you stole it. Get whatever fun you can out of it and move on.

If you can't afford to buy another car after this one craps out....

... then oil the chain on your bicycle ! :nod:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry but just because kbb or edmunds says it, doesnt mean u will get it. that car with 200k isnt worth 3k. not even trade in. Heck i had a 2005 chrysler 300 in mint condition with 100k, showroom model, DECKED out..and trade in value was 3k. THats if you buy a brand new 35k dollar car,

id clean ur car up, and run it till it blows

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dealerships don't "buy" cars son...they sell them !

They have no use for a car with that much mileage or that old. Whatever they claim they are giving you is what someone at an auction may pay for it...because that is where its headed. May then go to Mexico. LOL.

Let's be honest. You have a POS car. Drive it like you stole it. Get whatever fun you can out of it and move on.

If you can't afford to buy another car after this one craps out....

... then oil the chain on your bicycle ! :nod:
this basically, dealership is taking your car to auction, whatever local auction values of cars similar to yours are going for, your gonna get a few hundred less than that

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That gives me a great idea. The dude is near NOLA, I think. Why not just drive it downtown and leave the keys in it with the windows open?

Actually I don't.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are you saying the car is worth private party or to dealership? Btw I was talking about a buy here pay here dealership not a new car dealership. They have plenty of 200k mile cars. A few hundred less than $2500 or $3k is fine by me. Maybe I need to have that car inspected.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what are you saying the car is worth private party or to dealership? Btw I was talking about a buy here pay here dealership not a new car dealership. They have plenty of 200k mile cars. A few hundred less than $2500 or $3k is fine by me. Maybe I need to have that car inspected.
Those are trade in cars. Are you looking to trade it in? Dealership don't just normally buy cars unless they they can sell them for a good profit.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to be careful when looking at what other similar cars are selling for . People can ask whatever they want , doesn't mean the car is actually selling for that . That car ( as you described it ) is probably , at most , a 2 Grand rig at a dealership. My guess is that if you private seller it it'll get 1200-1500. Of course different markets bring different values but a 200k mile rig with some issues is not going to be in demand. The other issue is you're never going to be able to secure financing without a job so you're going to need a qualified cosigner . You could always ask 2500 and hope some idiot bites but it's highly unlikely . Sorry I know that is not what you want to hear

Where do you get financing from? I never said I would be going that route if I sold that car, i would buy another used. So far, that car has lasted me five months, and if that car can just last me a little while until I am able to find a job, I'm golden. I need to be able to attend 5k events, get my muscles growing for attractive selfies on Linked In and Instagram so that I will appeal more to businesses and have that job I want.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where do you get financing from? I never said I would be going that route if I sold that car, i would buy another used. So far, that car has lasted me five months, and if that car can just last me a little while until I am able to find a job, I'm golden. I need to be able to attend 5k events, get my muscles growing for attractive selfies on Linked In and Instagram so that I will appeal more to businesses and have that job I want.
You're financing now so I just assumed you'd be financing again ( paying your cousin is the same as financing since you didn't pay cash yourself ). If you've got that kind of cash laying around you should just sell your car for what you can , pay your cousin the difference and then take what's left and buy a newer car. If you have the capital it yiesjt really matter what you get out of your car so you can take your time selling it which should make you a better price

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This here.

I can ask anything that I want for a car, doesn't mean that is what it is worth. What it is worth is what someone else is willing to pay for it.

A car with 200k ain't worth didly. Throw in a "problem" and .........