• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it just me?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely no stats to back this up, just based purely on observation.

But it seems to me that appeals on checked swings are being ruled no swing at a far higher rate than in years past.

Seems like not that long ago that the vast majority of appeals were called a swing. This year it seems the overwhelming majority is being ruled no swing.

Am I crazy?
Do batters have stronger wrists now and are better able to stop their swing?
Are first and third base umpires not really paying attention and giving the benefit of the doubt to the batter?
Did the umpires get word from the commish to lean towards no swing?

Discuss

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that every check swing by Gary Sanchez has been called a strike....I've never seen someone K so much on check swings.....

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that every check swing by Gary Sanchez has been called a strike....I've never seen someone K so much on check swings.....

He's a Yankee, so fuck him.

But seriously, the Braves and their opponents have gotten away with a lot of swings when they were saved by the first/third base umpire.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed this a bit as well, though, in my memory recollection, it was always fairly uncommon for a check swing to be ruled a strike. Definitely not the "vast majority" as you term it, at least as far as my memory.

But it's gone from "fairly uncommon" to "a complete aberration" in my eyes. Apparently, there is no official rule on what is and is not a check swing. A lot of guys think it's when the batter "breaks" his wrists, but (if what I've heard is right) that's just a popular sentiment, and not rule.

Maybe Manfred doesn't think strikeouts are good for baseball and is doing his best to limit them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I observe as well without stats. But my opinion is that the plate umps have lost all concept of the strike zone. Pitches up around the armpits are not strikes because it's nearly impossible to hit that pitch. Lately, I have seen plate umps just call it on checked swings and the hitter wondering why the base ump wasn't consulted.

Strike zones shift from inning to inning and that's partly a reason why hitters are striking out so much. They take checked swings because they have no idea what is or isn't a strike. Maybe the umps are compensating for that by not calling so many of them swings.

Seems like a real strike zone could give the game back to the players and the fans instead of making "FoxTrax" the go-to tool.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed this a bit as well, though, in my memory recollection, it was always fairly uncommon for a check swing to be ruled a strike. Definitely not the "vast majority" as you term it, at least as far as my memory.

But it's gone from "fairly uncommon" to "a complete aberration" in my eyes. Apparently, there is no official rule on what is and is not a check swing. A lot of guys think it's when the batter "breaks" his wrists, but (if what I've heard is right) that's just a popular sentiment, and not rule.

Maybe Manfred doesn't think strikeouts are good for baseball and is doing his best to limit them.

Like I said, I have no statistics to back me up, just going purely from memory and observation. But I remember being surprised when the batter didn't get rung up on a checked swing. Now I'm shocked when they do.

But I might be misremembering too.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I have no statistics to back me up, just going purely from memory and observation. But I remember being surprised when the batter didn't get rung up on a checked swing. Now I'm shocked when they do.

But I might be misremembering too.

I think you might be right ... I would like to see in called on intent, which is subjective, but I think they call it a strike too much in the past!!!!

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be right ... I would like to see in called on intent, which is subjective, but I think they call it a strike too much in the past!!!!

I'm not complaining. I won't lie, the Braves got saved in a couple of games on checked swings not being called this season.

Just something I've noticed, and mildly interesting to me.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not complaining. I won't lie, the Braves got saved in a couple of games on checked swings not being called this season.

Just something I've noticed, and mildly interesting to me.

It never sounded like complaining ... I never realized it until you said something ... just thinking back, I think your right!!!

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Umps are checking out chicks in the stands, and when there is a check swing appeal, they are like "Oh Shit, No Swing"