• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Harbaugh's khaki's getting hot now??

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Michigan State seems to have figured out their QB position for 2018 and 2019 and the games in 2018 are in East Lansing and Columbus, so Harbaugh could realistically be looking at a 1-7 start against Ohio State and Michigan State. And Michigan plays ND next year, but we'll probably suck, because we can't put together back to back competent years, and it looks like we're somewhat good this year, so I doubt ND will beat Michigan next year.

If he goes 1-7 against his rivals, (or even 2-6, but can't beat Ohio State), Jim's support will begin to fade. It's not really fair when a coach is putting up 10 wins a year, but the rule is if you want to stay at Michigan, you have to beat Ohio State. I don't think that is an unfair rule. If he can't beat them this year (which is looking bad right now), then IMO he has to win in 2018 (on the road), or his rear will be on fire in the 2019 season...if he doesn't jump ship to the NFL before then.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mission-accomplished.jpg

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not calling for Harbaugh's firing. I'm simply asking, when do you start to question whether Harbaugh can get you some big wins that you need? How much time do you give him?

So far, in three seasons, he is likely to post a 1-5 record against his rivals, and not have won the B10 East or a B10 title. On top of that, he will come into the 2018 season with QB who hasn't done very well (Speight), or a QB with no experience (Mac or Peters). That's not exactly the recipe for beating your rivals and winning a B10 title in 2018.

I like Harbaugh, and wouldn't mind seeing him stay, as he wins 10 games a year, but you only get so long in big programs these days. 4-5 seasons is plenty of time to win a conference title IMO. Right now, I just don't see that happening unless he can develop a QB.

The seasons well from over yet. We got flat out destroyed at home.. think we're happy? Besides, you were close to getting into the playoffs last year. It'll happen, just gotta be patient.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The seasons well from over yet. We got flat out destroyed at home.. think we're happy? Besides, you were close to getting into the playoffs last year. It'll happen, just gotta be patient.

I'll watch every game, and hope for the best, but if you were a betting man, how many games would you bet that Michigan wins against Penn St, Wisconsin, and Ohio St the remainder of this season?

I think Michigan will still win 9 games, but that will likely put the in the middle of the pack in the B10 East.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popovich is the best coach in sports, and took a team with only 1 all star to the western conference finals.

Imagine how far he'd have taken them if he was actually focused on basketball instead of letting President Trump live in his head rent free 24/7.

Same problem w Harbaugh. Focused on the wrong stuff.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll watch every game, and hope for the best, but if you were a betting man, how many games would you bet that Michigan wins against Penn St, Wisconsin, and Ohio St the remainder of this season?

I think Michigan will still win 9 games, but that will likely put the in the middle of the pack in the B10 East.

1-2

No way we beat tOSU - rival game.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you drop another game until Wisconsin. O'korn only has 1 full game under his belt and Harbaugh doesn't like to lose. UM will get better as the offense develops. Not sure about the OSU game because I don't know how good we are. We've been thumping teams that can't throw the ball, so PSU will be our first real test. I expect a close game against you guys just like last year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you drop another game until Wisconsin. O'korn only has 1 full game under his belt and Harbaugh doesn't like to lose. UM will get better as the offense develops. Not sure about the OSU game because I don't know how good we are. We've been thumping teams that can't throw the ball, so PSU will be our first real test. I expect a close game against you guys just like last year.

You think Michigan beats Penn St on the road in a night game?

I hope you're right, because I'd love to see it!

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've officially turned on him. Just like Popovich, Harbaugh has been completely distracted with politics and our President, instead of his job. I don't hear Diantonio talking about politics?

Harbaugh is a victim of his own hype, believing too much in himself. His goofy gimmick doesn't work when your rivals beat your ass. Go back to the NFL. I'm done with him.

Completely distracted? Huh?

Just because Harbaugh appeared at a Hillary rally last year, and made a couple criticisms of Trump does not make him completely distracted with politics.

Celebrities and others folks in the limelight are allowed to share their political views.... that's one of the perks of being in the limelight. Now.....that being said, if during the middle of a game, a coach grabs a mic and starts to preach his political views...then that would be crossing the line. At many, if not most other times however, a person should be able to use their celebrity status to their advantage....again, that's one of the perks of being in the limelight.

Suppression is bad, mkay?

Sure, Harbaugh is a bit weird/flaky.... but most folks knew that before he took the Michigan job.

I must say, I did quite enjoy watching Dantonio beat Harbaugh again...hehe.

Last edited:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
through 5 games in year 3 at Michigan:

Brady Hoke: 2-2 vs MSU and OSU, 1 BCS bowl win, 24-7 overall record

Jim Harbaugh: 1-4 vs MSU and OSU, 0 BCS/CFP wins, 24-7 overall record"

What about number of sleepovers at children's houses? How do those compare thus far?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem I see for Harbaugh. He is quickly starting to look like John Cooper (wins 10 games a year, but loses his rivalry games). The defense with Michigan has been amazing, and will likely keep Michigan close in big games, but if you don't have a play maker at QB, it is highly unlikely you will win many of those big games. John is in his 3rd year at Michigan, and hasn't developed much of a player at QB...even though he has some highly rated recruits on the sideline. McCaffery and Peters were both highly rated 4* recruits from the last two recruiting classes.

So, let's pretend Michigan loses another close one to Ohio State this season (I hope not, but for the sake of argument), and our QB play still looks average to bad at times with O'Korn. You are going into next season with either Speight or another QB that has pretty much no experience. Football has become a QB lead sport, with all the protections they give WR's and QB's now. If you don't have a guy who can deliver some big plays, and score some points, you aren't going to win very often in the big games. So, if Michigan loses at the end of the season again, Harbaugh would be 1-5 against his two biggest rivals and would come into the 2018 with a HUGE question mark at QB.

My solution...it's time to sink or swim with Brandon Peters. He was a highly regarded recruit, and already has had a year in Ann Arbor. O'Korn is gone next year, so no need to invest much time in him... and really, Michigan doesn't have a whole lot to play for if the offense doesn't get fixed soon. So they might as well see what they got in Peters.

I should point out -- John Cooper was at Ohio state for 12 or 13 seasons. So it's no where near Cooper levels yet.

As for the QB thing, we just don't know. I agree, it's concerning that O'Korn is somehow better than both of our QB recruits behind him that were actually ranked well. But we don't know what happens in practice. I'm not a QB coach. So I trust that Harbaugh is doing what he thinks is best at the moment. You also don't want to ruin a QB prospect by putting him behind a line that isn't developed yet and immediately lets defenders through. We ruined both Morris and Gardner by doing that. Ultimately, he's still a redshirt freshman. Playing Redshirt freshman QB's is rare for a reason. The last thing we want to do is set the team back 2-3 years because we broke a QB prospect by throwing him behind a line that can't block.

The sad reality is, if you do that to O'Korn or Speight -- it doesn't matter much. But I'm pretty confident in saying that a new QB is not our problem. You could put some of the best college QB's back behind that line and it wouldn't go well. That needs to get fixed before anything else.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone was saying that except Michigan fans. Harbaugh did this new thing by "rotating" in players so they would get more experience and they were just. Going to reload because that top 10 senior class was complete trash based solely on the fact that Hoke recruited it.
To be fair, the defense is still elite despite losing the talent -- and that's where everyone was saying we'd drop off the most. All we needed was an average offense and this would be a good team. Unfortunately, our offense is one of the worst P5 offenses. That was unexpected, even for losing as many players as we did.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should point out -- John Cooper was at Ohio state for 12 or 13 seasons. So it's no where near Cooper levels yet.

As for the QB thing, we just don't know. I agree, it's concerning that O'Korn is somehow better than both of our QB recruits behind him that were actually ranked well. But we don't know what happens in practice. I'm not a QB coach. So I trust that Harbaugh is doing what he thinks is best at the moment. You also don't want to ruin a QB prospect by putting him behind a line that isn't developed yet and immediately lets defenders through. We ruined both Morris and Gardner by doing that. Ultimately, he's still a redshirt freshman. Playing Redshirt freshman QB's is rare for a reason. The last thing we want to do is set the team back 2-3 years because we broke a QB prospect by throwing him behind a line that can't block.

The sad reality is, if you do that to O'Korn or Speight -- it doesn't matter much. But I'm pretty confident in saying that a new QB is not our problem. You could put some of the best college QB's back behind that line and it wouldn't go well. That needs to get fixed before anything else.

Well Cooper wasn't losing to two rivals just about every year too. Michigan was pretty much Cooper's only problem.

Again QB is definitely a problem. You don't need to be a QB coach to see this. Of course the Oline shares in this problem, but unless Michigan has a miracle turnaround, they are likely to lose at least 3 games this year....all in the B10. So if Michigan rides O'Korn this year, their only option for an experienced QB in 2018 is Spieght. That turns a "rebuilding" year into two years...at least at the QB position (unless you think Speight is the future QB of Michigan and is going to greatly improve)

IMO, if you have a QB who already has a full year in your system, and your current starting QB options are pretty poor, and you are worried about "breaking" him by playing him, you probably need to find a new prospect.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There have been a ton of RS Freshman/Freshman to start in the last 4 seasons or so. Manziel, Winston, Barrett, Kizer, Hurts, Darnold, Browning, Rosen, Watson, Francois, Lamar Jackson, Josh Jackson, Daniel Jones, Hornibrook, Herbert, Frohm, Bentley to name a few. Playing early happens a lot these days.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Cooper wasn't losing to two rivals just about every year too. Michigan was pretty much Cooper's only problem.

Again QB is definitely a problem. You don't need to be a QB coach to see this. Of course the Oline shares in this problem, but unless Michigan has a miracle turnaround, they are likely to lose at least 3 games this year....all in the B10. So if Michigan rides O'Korn this year, their only option for an experienced QB in 2018 is Spieght. That turns a "rebuilding" year into two years...at least at the QB position (unless you think Speight is the future QB of Michigan and is going to greatly improve)

IMO, if you have a QB who already has a full year in your system, and your current starting QB options are pretty poor, and you are worried about "breaking" him by playing him, you probably need to find a new prospect.
Everyone was predicting an 8 win season for us, I predicted a 10 win season....so losing 3 games wouldn't be that far off.

I still don't think our QB's are as bad as this offense makes them look. If they don't think Peters is ready, then so be it. I won't be really worried about it until next season. Again, our running backs are iffy, our WR's can't get open and drop passes and our line allows instant pressure so our QB's are running for their lives. There's no reason to rush a redshirt freshman into that mess. If Peters isn't our starter next year, then it's safe to label it a problem. Again, you don't want to ruin a QB just because you want to see something different. He's only been in the system for a year.