• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Harbaugh's khaki's getting hot now??

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
through 5 games in year 3 at Michigan:

Brady Hoke: 2-2 vs MSU and OSU, 1 BCS bowl win, 24-7 overall record

Jim Harbaugh: 1-4 vs MSU and OSU, 0 BCS/CFP wins, 24-7 overall record"

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to give up on Harbaugh yet, but I really don't see them beating OSU now. On top of that, they still don't have a QB going into next season that carries any kind of real optimism at QB next year.

The defense needs to physically abuse the offense this week in practice. All week long!
That defense will continue to keep them games, but holy hell they don't have a decent QB to get them anywhere. How many turnovers yesterday and yet they were still in the game.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You didn't expect Harbaugh to go undefeated?

Undefeated? He has only won 1 rivalry game against his two biggest rivals, why would anyone expect him to go undefeated against his rivals?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Look, Michigan is never hiring a coach better than Harbaugh. This is what we have and what we're going to have to deal with. Harbaugh is still a good coach who will win a good number of games, it just isn't happening against our rivals as soon as we'd like. I have confidence that Harbaugh will get this rolling in the next few years, we just have to wait. Put it this way, remember what it was like under Rich Rod and just be thankful we finally put a competent team on the field.

And let's be honest here, if Harbaugh beats OSU then no one will remember this MSU loss. The defense is good enough to keep us in any game we play. We all knew this offense was going to lose us some games this year.

Here is the problem I see for Harbaugh. He is quickly starting to look like John Cooper (wins 10 games a year, but loses his rivalry games). The defense with Michigan has been amazing, and will likely keep Michigan close in big games, but if you don't have a play maker at QB, it is highly unlikely you will win many of those big games. John is in his 3rd year at Michigan, and hasn't developed much of a player at QB...even though he has some highly rated recruits on the sideline. McCaffery and Peters were both highly rated 4* recruits from the last two recruiting classes.

So, let's pretend Michigan loses another close one to Ohio State this season (I hope not, but for the sake of argument), and our QB play still looks average to bad at times with O'Korn. You are going into next season with either Speight or another QB that has pretty much no experience. Football has become a QB lead sport, with all the protections they give WR's and QB's now. If you don't have a guy who can deliver some big plays, and score some points, you aren't going to win very often in the big games. So, if Michigan loses at the end of the season again, Harbaugh would be 1-5 against his two biggest rivals and would come into the 2018 with a HUGE question mark at QB.

My solution...it's time to sink or swim with Brandon Peters. He was a highly regarded recruit, and already has had a year in Ann Arbor. O'Korn is gone next year, so no need to invest much time in him... and really, Michigan doesn't have a whole lot to play for if the offense doesn't get fixed soon. So they might as well see what they got in Peters.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the problem I see for Harbaugh. He is quickly starting to look like John Cooper (wins 10 games a year, but loses his rivalry games). The defense with Michigan has been amazing, and will likely keep Michigan close in big games, but if you don't have a play maker at QB, it is highly unlikely you will win many of those big games. John is in his 3rd year at Michigan, and hasn't developed much of a player at QB...even though he has some highly rated recruits on the sideline. McCaffery and Peters were both highly rated 4* recruits from the last two recruiting classes.

So, let's pretend Michigan loses another close one to Ohio State this season (I hope not, but for the sake of argument), and our QB play still looks average to bad at times with O'Korn. You are going into next season with either Speight or another QB that has pretty much no experience. Football has become a QB lead sport, with all the protections they give WR's and QB's now. If you don't have a guy who can deliver some big plays, and score some points, you aren't going to win very often in the big games. So, if Michigan loses at the end of the season again, Harbaugh would be 1-5 against his two biggest rivals and would come into the 2018 with a HUGE question mark at QB.

My solution...it's time to sink or swim with Brandon Peters. He was a highly regarded recruit, and already has had a year in Ann Arbor. O'Korn is gone next year, so no need to invest much time in him... and really, Michigan doesn't have a whole lot to play for if the offense doesn't get fixed soon. So they might as well see what they got in Peters.
I was wondering about Peters red shirt status. No point in wasting time since the season is at worst a waste but you will see what you got and know whether to focus more on him or McCaffrey.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've officially turned on him. Just like Popovich, Harbaugh has been completely distracted with politics and our President, instead of his job. I don't hear Diantonio talking about politics?

Harbaugh is a victim of his own hype, believing too much in himself. His goofy gimmick doesn't work when your rivals beat your ass. Go back to the NFL. I'm done with him.

Popovich is the best coach in sports, and took a team with only 1 all star to the western conference finals.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering about Peters red shirt status. No point in wasting time since the season is at worst a waste but you will see what you got and know whether to focus more on him or McCaffrey.

I don't care how good our defense is, Michigan isn't beating Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State with this offense IMO. They may win one of those games, but I think they are more likely to lose them all.

Maybe Peters and McCaffery are just AWFUL, and Harbaugh is trying to further develop them, but at this point, I can't imagine it hurts to give them a try. Our defense will keep us in the game, no matter who is playing QB (I mean we gave up two pick sixes already in one game and the defense still shut them down).

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Undefeated? He has only won 1 rivalry game against his two biggest rivals, why would anyone expect him to go undefeated against his rivals?

You're the 3rd UM fan to post something about Harbaugh and I don't get it. Do you remember life under hoke and rich rod? His seat should feel pretty good right now after taking a sub 500 team to a great season and big bowl win in first year, then barely losing out on a conf title and just losing to a tough FSU team. He's doing fine.... plus MSU wrecks shit for a lot of teams and OSU fans know all about it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how good our defense is, Michigan isn't beating Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State with this offense IMO. They may win one of those games, but I think they are more likely to lose them all.

Maybe Peters and McCaffery are just AWFUL, and Harbaugh is trying to further develop them, but at this point, I can't imagine it hurts to give them a try. Our defense will keep us in the game, no matter who is playing QB (I mean we gave up two pick sixes already in one game and the defense still shut them down).
You don't want to Shane Morris anyone. Scared to be in the pocket because the OLine sucks and they never recover.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the 3rd UM fan to post something about Harbaugh and I don't get it. Do you remember life under hoke and rich rod? His seat should feel pretty good right now after taking a sub 500 team to a great season and big bowl win in first year, then barely losing out on a conf title and just losing to a tough FSU team. He's doing fine.... plus MSU wrecks shit for a lot of teams and OSU fans know all about it.

Not only that, I believe Michigan was suppose to have a "down year" with the mass exit of the defense graduating..

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, Michigan State seems to have figured out their QB position for 2018 and 2019 and the games in 2018 are in East Lansing and Columbus, so Harbaugh could realistically be looking at a 1-7 start against Ohio State and Michigan State. And Michigan plays ND next year, but we'll probably suck, because we can't put together back to back competent years, and it looks like we're somewhat good this year, so I doubt ND will beat Michigan next year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not calling for Harbaugh's firing. I'm simply asking, when do you start to question whether Harbaugh can get you some big wins that you need? How much time do you give him?

So far, in three seasons, he is likely to post a 1-5 record against his rivals, and not have won the B10 East or a B10 title. On top of that, he will come into the 2018 season with QB who hasn't done very well (Speight), or a QB with no experience (Mac or Peters). That's not exactly the recipe for beating your rivals and winning a B10 title in 2018.

I like Harbaugh, and wouldn't mind seeing him stay, as he wins 10 games a year, but you only get so long in big programs these days. 4-5 seasons is plenty of time to win a conference title IMO. Right now, I just don't see that happening unless he can develop a QB.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time anyone feared Va Tech... an asian guy was shooting the place up.
Pretty sure we would spank that ass now and that's all that matters, oh and with a QB that grew up as a Michigan fan....
U_Mad2.jpg

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add Kirby Smart, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Chris Peterson, Chip Kelly, Gary Patterson

all have won much more than him

Year 3 and Jimmah still hasn't produced a QB or offense. Has one win over rivals.

A little too soon for Kirby Smart. He's only halfway through his second ever season as a head coach.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't want to Shane Morris anyone. Scared to be in the pocket because the OLine sucks and they never recover.

That is true. Michigan has really only had two good recruiting years over this current group of players (the past 4 recruiting classes). I think the O-line will eventually get consistent, but without a decent QB, this team will be stalled out.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, I believe Michigan was suppose to have a "down year" with the mass exit of the defense graduating..
Everyone was saying that except Michigan fans. Harbaugh did this new thing by "rotating" in players so they would get more experience and they were just. Going to reload because that top 10 senior class was complete trash based solely on the fact that Hoke recruited it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. I like to crack on Harbaugh, but the guy is a good HC. Those first two season had UM fans thinking back to the glory days a little too quickly.