• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Ben Gamel legit?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought about making a thread like this regarding Mitch Haniger, but figured it would be redundant and considering how much Mariners management was in love with Haniger, the odds are higher that he is legit.

But Ben Gamel has been hitting the cover off the ball. Right now as it stands he is hitting .344/.408/.462. Obviously a such performance is likely to regress to the mean, but he has had a fantastic run that makes you wonder if he will continue hitting at a .300 level. His BABIP suggests that eventually he will regress a bit, but even adjusting for that, he looks like he could be a sustainable .300 hitter for a while.

What does everyone think? Is Gamel for real? I believe the sample size warrants bringing this question up.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also thought about making a thread like this regarding Mitch Haniger, but figured it would be redundant and considering how much Mariners management was in love with Haniger, the odds are higher that he is legit.

But Ben Gamel has been hitting the cover off the ball. Right now as it stands he is hitting .344/.408/.462. Obviously a such performance is likely to regress to the mean, but he has had a fantastic run that makes you wonder if he will continue hitting at a .300 level. His BABIP suggests that eventually he will regress a bit, but even adjusting for that, he looks like he could be a sustainable .300 hitter for a while.

What does everyone think? Is Gamel for real? I believe the sample size warrants bringing this question up.
Gamel hit well at every level of the minors, so, why wouldn't he be legit? Mariners could have three guys in the race for the batting crown and possibly five .300 hitters.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But more reasonably, his BABIP is unreasonably high. Generally, a BABIP that's absurdly high as his is (.459) indicates a level of luck to a certain extent. I do expect he will regress to the norm, it's just he was never considered an elite prospect and his K rate is a bit high. If anything, this is reassuring that he could be a plus player in the outfield. I just hope he keeps it up.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But more reasonably, his BABIP is unreasonably high. Generally, a BABIP that's absurdly high as his is (.459) indicates a level of luck to a certain extent. I do expect he will regress to the norm, it's just he was never considered an elite prospect and his K rate is a bit high. If anything, this is reassuring that he could be a plus player in the outfield. I just hope he keeps it up.
When Segura comes back, Gamel will be hitting 7th in the lineup. If he hits .285, scores 70-75 runs, and drives in 50-55, that would be nice production from a #7 hitter and better than what we have been getting from outfielders the last few years. Over time, I think he needs to work on his swing, and maybe shorten it a little bit. But I don't think he should mess with anything right now.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Segura comes back, Gamel will be hitting 7th in the lineup. If he hits .285, scores 70-75 runs, and drives in 50-55, that would be nice production from a #7 hitter and better than what we have been getting from outfielders the last few years. Over time, I think he needs to work on his swing, and maybe shorten it a little bit. But I don't think he should mess with anything right now.
It's crazy to think that someone with his production will be forced to move into the #7 spot. Then again, it's crazy to think Zunino is at the bottom of the order with the production he's been having as well; though both moves obviously necessary.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's crazy to think that someone with his production will be forced to move into the #7 spot. Then again, it's crazy to think Zunino is at the bottom of the order with the production he's been having as well; though both moves obviously necessary.

But it will help with the lower 1/3 of the lineup to produce when the middle of the order goes into one of their funks.....

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it will help with the lower 1/3 of the lineup to produce when the middle of the order goes into one of their funks.....
Dyson, batting 9th, is second in the league in steals and on pace to score 88 runs. 88 runs from your #9 hitter. Damn.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson, batting 9th, is second in the league in steals and on pace to score 88 runs. 88 runs from your #9 hitter. Damn.

Yeah, Mikey Z stays some what on the path he's been doing in the month of June add in Gambel and 7,8 and 9 could be rolling over to the top of the order on base or scoring by themselves....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him as a Ellsbury (.285 career avg) type player over his career. Maybe I am selling him short, but that is what I see. I would actually be quite happy if he had those career numbers (won't have the SB's Ells has) but not the career injuries.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dyson's production on the bases have been especially impressive considering that he was hitting .217 coming into June. I expect as he continues getting on base more frequently, those numbers will go up. That man can really fly. I liked the stuff Karns had but I'm still a huge fan of the Dyson acquisition. Great speed and plays a great centerfield.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him as a Ellsbury (.285 career avg) type player over his career. Maybe I am selling him short, but that is what I see. I would actually be quite happy if he had those career numbers (won't have the SB's Ells has) but not the career injuries.

Ellsbury is also a much better fielder, but I can see the comparison.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury is also a much better fielder, but I can see the comparison.

Have you seen some of Gamel's catches? I would question that thought. I think Ells may be better defensively on regular plays (Gamel sometimes takes eye of ball), but as far as extreme plays go I will put my money on Gamel.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Yanks have a pretty good outfield now, but giving this guy away for nothing isn't looking so good right now.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Yanks have a pretty good outfield now, but giving this guy away for nothing isn't looking so good right now.

He was 13th on the Yankees organizational OF depth chart, if he was still here he'd still be in AAA.

The Yankees will be fine, and Gamel is definitely legit.