• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is ANYONE surprised by this???

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm glad to say I played my part when I was there

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to be a bit Hoops like and say I am not thrilled with this, I do not think it is a good thing...I would guess Sally Mason is not happy right now nor any of the professors or athletic dept heads etc...sure it's ok to have some partying, it's going to happen at most schools, but to be #1? I would rather be 4-8 in partying and own a bowl win than be known for partying too much and no good athletics...Iowa is the worst athletic school in the Big Ten, we know that. No idea what their academic standards are anymore, but really hard to rip on the SEC for their academics if the Big Ten has 2 out of the top 5, and a whole bunch of the Big Ten is in the top 25...I have no problem with a few beers, but don't want to be known as #1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going to be a bit Hoops like and say I am not thrilled with this, I do not think it is a good thing...I would guess Sally Mason is not happy right now nor any of the professors or athletic dept heads etc...sure it's ok to have some partying, it's going to happen at most schools, but to be #1? I would rather be 4-8 in partying and own a bowl win than be known for partying too much and no good athletics...Iowa is the worst athletic school in the Big Ten, we know that. No idea what their academic standards are anymore, but really hard to rip on the SEC for their academics if the Big Ten has 2 out of the top 5, and a whole bunch of the Big Ten is in the top 25...I have no problem with a few beers, but don't want to be known as #1

The good thing is that Iowa or other B1G schools are also towards the top of all academic rankings...

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really Aaron...Iowa is not up as far as I would have though, we are actually around 8th or 9th in the B10 standings for academics and around 60-70 wise overall for the NCAA schools as far as total academic standing

athletic wise, Iowa does pretty decent with the football team compared to other schools though, but it seems the overall education is dropping in the last 10 years

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd rather be #1 than #350. We aren't recruiting Mormons to play football so I guess any buzz about the school like this should be more of a positive vs. a negative.

In the end, those rankings are stupid anyway. #1 party school - how in the world would they determine that? I went to a smaller private school in Iowa and I was legitimately partying an average of 3-4 nights per week for 4 straight years. Tons of booze, tons of girls, tons of trouble. I'm sure Drake is nowhere on that list and never has been but to me that was the center of the Universe for partying in the early to mid 90s.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Iowa was ranked #1 hottest girls in the Big 10...that's 2 #1's...

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Hawkeye, Iowa does have a pretty solid golf program

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very true, and used to have a very very good wrestling team and women's field hockey won the only other national championship other than wrestling, but overall if you follow the standings, Iowa is the worst in the B10 at sports overall...we have also fallen in academic rankings, but not in certain fields, I think the medical field still ranks very high, especially eye stuff if I recall correctly. You won't go to Iowa to get an Ag degree or really if you are looking at a top journalism school no, but there are certain degrees where Iowa is still a good place to be...just not sure they need to be #1 party school...put us at 30 there, as Clem says, how did they rank it...well the story says
The rankings are based on surveys in which an average of 333 students per campus are asked 80 questions about a range of subjects in the last three school years. Its methodology uses a five-point scale, allowing for school-to-school comparisons.

so the whole thing is decided when they gave a survey to the Alpha Beta's instead of the Tri Lambs so Iowa comes out on top...kind of crazy to say 333 people out of 31,500 students decide when 1% of the student population decides it

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get me wrong, I am ready to have a few beers just like most, just think we need to temper this a bit since it is blown out of proportion

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rankings

For 2012, out of 2,774 4-year institutions in the U.S., University of Iowa was nationally ranked #72 overall and #28 among public universities by U.S. News & World Report and, #113 by Washington Monthly, and #183 by Forbes. Globally for 2012, the university was ranked #169 by Times and #199 by both QS and U.S. News & World Report.

In departmental rankings for 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked Iowa's Carver College of Medicine #16 in the country for primary care and #28 in the country for research, its College of Law #29, its College of Pharmacy #17, and its School of Art & Art History's Fine Arts #22.

Departmental Rankings by U.S. News & World Report
CollegeNational Rank Public School Rank
Carver College of Medicine 16 (Primary Care) 28 (Research) 13 (Primary Care)10 (Research)College of Nursing 11 7
College of Public Health 16 9
College of Pharmacy 17 16
College of Law 26 9
College of Education 32 22
Tippie College of Business 44 20
College of Engineering 61 34

Last edited by a moderator:

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've partied at ASU, and if I'm a guy, I'm at ASU all the way. My buddies kid wrestles for ASU and he is all in at the girls there. I've seen pics and I'm all in as well!!