• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Anyone Alive Out There: Ongoing Mets Thread

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when they were bad,......., but still loveable.

It was on this date back in 1965 that Mets' outfielder Ron Swoboda takes up his position wearing a batting helmet - on his foot. After kicking the protective head gear it got stuck on his spikes, and manager Casey Stengel ordered the young player to go out to the field.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope he keeps it up tonight! :hope:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always fun beating the Yankees. Had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't losing my mind when I saw they were the away team lastnight. So I guess with the change in interleague play they now split home/away in a 4 game series with the Yanks instead of 2 series.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the 2home/2away is just for subway series. maybe the other close city(LA) teams do it too but not sure? nice sweep of the yankees though. Collins removing Gee after 5 straight Ks is questionable.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Yankee Stadium all it takes is one fatigued pitch, deep fly to turn things around. The dimensions are a joke there so I'm ok with pulling a pitcher earlier than later in that situation. Great 4 game sweep. Pitching held up and made up for multiple defensive blunders. Hopefully they can keep some momentum going and make this season respectable after all.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Sweep It Is !!!

Break up the Mets !!!

:whoo::whoo::whoo:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so how do you follow up a sweep of the yankees.....get swept by the marlins. I so called this to my met fan friend. only game i said they might not lose would be harveys start but i did say harvey would get a ND. And sure enough they found a way to blow his 5 inning 2 run lead too.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets should look into signing Grady Sizemore. He's a free agent that should be a low risk, high reward signing. If he pans out, great. If not, he probably won't cost much. If he can be half the player he was he'll be better than what we have now.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets should look into signing Grady Sizemore. He's a free agent that should be a low risk, high reward signing. If he pans out, great. If not, he probably won't cost much. If he can be half the player he was he'll be better than what we have now.

I guess I could see signing him dirt cheap, but would there be much of a point? Doubtful he'll be of any use long term, or maybe even past this year.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if we're going to see some young arms coming up later in the year I would prefer to win them some games and help them gain confidence rather than have them getting into a negative, losing mindset. Also for Terry Collins' sake I'd like the Mets to finish strong.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should have come. We had two game-day threads going on tonight's game.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should have come. We had two game-day threads going on tonight's game.

Yeah I missed those. I generally don't venture over to the main MLB board too often. A few too many immature shit heads for my liking.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping this works finally.

Here is the scouting report from Baseball America on the Mets 1st selection Dominic Smith:

Ranked #14 in Baseball America's Top 500.

Smith has been a big name in the Southern California prep ranks for years, and he has justified the hype by continuing to perform at a high level as a senior. He has an innate feel for his barrel, a relaxed approach and a pretty lefthanded stroke, causing most scouts to project him as a plus hitter in the big leagues. He still wastes at-bats and chases at times, and he can get caught on his front foot, but he has the bat speed and hand-eye coordination to get away with it at this level, and he has the aptitude to make adjustments. As he spends more time in the weight room and learns to stay back and use his lower half better, he figures to hit for plus power. Smith's other plus tool is his defense at first base, where he has soft hands, quick feet and great instincts. He can touch 90 mph off the mound, and his arm plays well at first base. It doesn't work as well in right field, where he is more of a fringy defender with below-average speed. But he can be a Gold Glove defender at first base with enough offensive potential to make him an all-star. The game comes easily to him, and he is so smooth sometimes that he can almost look nonchalant, but scouts rave about his makeup and work ethic.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the scouting report from Baseball America on the Mets 2nd selection Andrew Church:

Ranked #89 in Baseball America's Top 500.

Church has struggled to get on the mound as a high school player, but his stuff still intrigues teams. He started his prep career at Bishop Gorman High in Las Vegas, then transferred to Palo Verde High in 2011 but couldn't pitch because of transfer rules, or in 2012 because of a dispute with the coach. He switched to Basic High in suburban Henderson for this season, an unconventional transfer because Church is already 18 and moved into an apartment by himself to get into his new school's boundaries. State officials initially ruled him ineligible, but he appealed the decision and was able to return to the mound in late April. He threw bullpen sessions for teams during his period of ineligibility and joined the Langley (B.C.) Blaze travel squad in Arizona for a weekend. Church has an athletic build at 6-foot-1 and 185 pounds and has smoothed out his delivery. His fastball sits in the 90-93 mph range and touches 95. He holds his velocity well, and his curveball shows flashes of being a plus pitch. He also throws a slider and a changeup. If Church goes in the top two rounds, he'll likely pass on his commitment to San Diego.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Upstater. Love everything I'm hearing about Smith. The main knock I've heard is he reaches for pitches often but that it's an easily correctable flaw.

The 2nd pick sounds a bit riskier but I'll keep the faith.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets 3rd selection Ivan Wilson

138. Ivan Wilson, of, Ruston (La.) HS

Wilson’s body and physical skills get scouts excited. He moves easily for a 6-foot-3, 220-pounder, having played wide receiver for his high school team and turning in a 6.7-second 60-yard time at the East Coast Pro Showcase last summer. He has gotten plenty of exposure in national events such as MLB’s Breakthrough Series and the Under Armour All-America game. Wilson also has big raw power that shows up most in batting practice. Scouts see a sound swing and set-up in the batter’s box, as well as present strength, so they haven’t figured out why his power doesn’t play in games. His athleticism and solid-average arm help him profile as a potential right fielder. Wilson did not have a college commitment, but scouts said they still were having a hard time getting a read on his signability.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets second 3rd round pick and their 4th overall selection Casey Meisner

243. Casey Meisner, rhp, Cypress Woods HS, Cypress, Texas

Meisner ran his fastball as hot at 94 mph on the showcase circuit and in spring scrimmages, but he didn’t maintain that velocity deep into games or into his senior season. He spent much of the spring pitching at 86-89 mph, though he’s projectable at 6-foot-7 and 185 pounds and there’s hope that he’ll have an above-average fastball in the future. He has trouble at times keeping his long limbs in sync in his delivery, which affects the quality of his secondary pitches. He’ll flash an average circle changeup that lacks consistency, and he has trouble staying on top of a curveball that lacks power. He does have a clean arm action, throws on a steep downhill plane and works in the strike zone with all of his offerings. Adding strength will be key for Meisner, a Texas Tech recruit who’s expected to turn pro

Big boy

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets 4th round selection L.J. Mazzilli (son of Lee Mazzilli)

247. L.J. Mazzilli, 2b, Connecticut

The son of former major league player and manager Lee Mazzilli, L.J. was a ninth-round pick of the Twins last year but decided to return to Connecticut for his senior season. Scouts generally see him as the same player as last year, though he has shown improvement on defense. He was hitting .348/.398/.507 with 15 doubles in 53 games for the Huskies. He has a good approach, managing at-bats well and making adjustments. He is an average runner with good instincts that help his baserunning. He has a strong 6-foot-1, 190-pound frame, though his power will come more in the form of doubles as he wears out the gaps. His defense was erratic last season, but most scouts now think he can be an average defender at the keystone.