• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Anyone Alive Out There: Ongoing Mets Thread

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Help is on the way Mets fans.

The Mets have agreed to sign free agent outfielder Rick Ankiel, according to ESPN New York's Adam Rubin (on Twitter). Ankiel, who is represented by the Boras Corporation, will receive a Major League contract, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). According to Rubin, Ankiel is in the Mets' starting lineup tonight and will play center field, while Andrew Brown has been optioned to Triple-A to clear a spot on the 25-man roster (Twitter links). A corresponding 40-man roster move has yet to be announced.
The 33-year-old Ankiel was released by the Astros last week -- a move which Carlos Pena said "crushed" the team's clubhouse. The veteran pitcher-turned-outfielder was the personification of an "all or nothing" approach this season, as he hit just .194/.231/.484 with five homers and 35 strikeouts in just 65 plate appearances for Houston.
Ankiel is a career .243/.304/.424 hitter in 2044 plate appearances between the Cardinals, Nationals, Royals, Braves and Astros. Mets outfielders this season are hitting just .223/.302/.392 as a whole. Their .694 OPS ranks 25th in baseball, and collectively they've been exactly a replacement level unit, per Fangraphs (0.0 WAR).

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lateral move at best, but hey it's worth a shot.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lateral move at best, but hey it's worth a shot.

The guy has turned himself into a very fine outfielder. Now, if he can just get some singles mixed in with the 1-2 homers he will likley hit per week, then they may be onto something. However, as far as hitters and hitter types go, I don't see Ankiel to be all that different from Ike Davis and Lucas Duda, so.......?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Carig of Newsday reports that Mets prospect Zack Wheeler has been pulled out of the rotation at Triple-A Las Vegas and sent to New York City for an examination by team doctors after complaining of some soreness in his right clavicle (or collarbone).
The Mets do not think that Wheeler has a serious injury and are hopeful that he will be ready to rejoin the Las Vegas 51s at some point next week.
Wheeler has posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings this season in the minor leagues. The 22-year-old right-hander should arrive in the major leagues for good later this summer

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Carig of Newsday reports that Mets prospect Zack Wheeler has been pulled out of the rotation at Triple-A Las Vegas and sent to New York City for an examination by team doctors after complaining of some soreness in his right clavicle (or collarbone).
The Mets do not think that Wheeler has a serious injury and are hopeful that he will be ready to rejoin the Las Vegas 51s at some point next week.
Wheeler has posted a 3.74 ERA, 1.34 WHIP and 47/18 K/BB ratio in 43 1/3 innings this season in the minor leagues. The 22-year-old right-hander should arrive in the major leagues for good later this summer

Well, he sure ain't goin' to New York because he's getting called up...although that would be a nice surprise. However, Super Two beckons.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

....and now, for the rest of the story -

“All good,” Wheeler’s agent Al Goetz said via text message. “No structural damage.”

He’ll miss a start, likely as much due to having to travel from Las Vegas to New York to see the big club’s doctors than anything else, but looks OK.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good news. We need this guy healthy for 2 reasons.

1: We need him to come up to the big leagues and provide some much needed excitement and to keep the fanbase from revolting

2: To showcase him in case we are planning on moving him at some point this year or during the offseason.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the need to rush Wheeler. Getting him some major league experience is a good idea but let him get some more innings in AAA.

As for everything else.........

This team is just downright flat. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are unwatchable but I haven't really cleared my schedule or set the DVR so I don't miss a game.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike Davis has been absolutely brutal this year. We really needed him to take that next step and get his average up, instead he's regressed completely. I think we need to send him down sooner rather than later, let him gain some confidence and work on his plate discipline because right now he's just a complete disaster.

Let Duda play first and put somebody like Turner out in left. Can't be worse than what we have going on now.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ike Davis has been absolutely brutal this year. We really needed him to take that next step and get his average up, instead he's regressed completely. I think we need to send him down sooner rather than later, let him gain some confidence and work on his plate discipline because right now he's just a complete disaster.

Let Duda play first and put somebody like Turner out in left. Can't be worse than what we have going on now.

:nod:

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner can play 1st. Leave Duda in the outfield. I think a change in location will be the best bet for Davis if it is Las Vegas or somewhere else. I still think he has some upside so we can probably get something for him.

Side note...... Mets Win!!! Seems like it has been forever since I said/typed that.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner can play 1st. Leave Duda in the outfield. I think a change in location will be the best bet for Davis if it is Las Vegas or somewhere else. I still think he has some upside so we can probably get something for him.

Side note...... Mets Win!!! Seems like it has been forever since I said/typed that.

I agree. I don't think he's totally shot, but at the moment something has to give. I suppose it's possible somebody would have interest in a guy that hit 30+ HRs just last year. You have to figure if we moved him to AAA and he started producing again it would make him much more appealling to any interested parties.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I don't think he's totally shot, but at the moment something has to give. I suppose it's possible somebody would have interest in a guy that hit 30+ HRs just last year. You have to figure if we moved him to AAA and he started producing again it would make him much more appealling to any interested parties.

He;s hitting like me.....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harvey day game wednesday?? hmm starting to feel sick suddenly better stop by the bosses office and lay the groundwork.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your basic low risk/ high reward type of signing. You can never have enough guys with closing experience in the back of a bullpen.

The Mets announced that they have signed David Aardsma to a minor league deal. The right-hander will report to the club's Triple-A affiliate in Las Vegas.
Aardsma, 31, was with the Marlins on a minor league deal but exercised his opt-out clause in mid-May. The veteran posted a 2.57 ERA with 12 strikeouts and eight walks across 14 innings of work for Triple-A New Orleans. Aardsma has had bad luck with injuries in recent years, having undergone surgery to repair the labrum in his left hip followed by Tommy John surgery in 2011.
Late last week, we heard that Japan's Hanshin Tigers had interest in bringing Aardsma aboard after he parted ways with Miami. For his career, Aardsma owns a 4.22 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 across parts of seven big league seasons.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, those are some staggeringly awful numbers for the Mets franchise. You can't even blame that on one or two guys. That is unbelievable. How can you be that bad? With the change in regimes, GMs, coaches etc.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great day at the park. unfortunately mets only came to play 8. havent seen the replay but looks like ike got hosed on the foul ball call but if your not going to hit you better at least field the ball.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ike's days with the big club may be numbered:

The Mets have discussed demoting Ike Davis, Ruben Tejada, and Jordany Valdespin, according to Andy Martino of NYDailyNews.com. Though there is nothing to suggest that the club would demote the struggling trio all in one fell swoop, Martino argues that the Mets need to make just such a move in order to best move forward.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ike's days with the big club may be numbered:

The Mets have discussed demoting Ike Davis, Ruben Tejada, and Jordany Valdespin, according to Andy Martino of NYDailyNews.com. Though there is nothing to suggest that the club would demote the struggling trio all in one fell swoop, Martino argues that the Mets need to make just such a move in order to best move forward.