• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Anyone Alive Out There: Ongoing Mets Thread

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic. That was our previous "genius" GM Steve Phillips doing. He and Bay are our highest paid outfielders this year.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bless you, Steve Phillips, for you are the gift that keeps on giving. In January 2000, Phillips, then-GM of the New York Mets, and team president Fred Wilpon needed to free up some cash to sign free agents, so they asked Bobby Bonilla if they could give him an IOU on the remaining $5.9 million of his contract to the tune of eight percent interest. Bonilla agreed and, we like to think, kissed Phillips on the mouth and yelled, “I’M RICH, BITCH!” Because starting in 2011, the Mets owe Bonilla $1.2 million per year for 25 years.

The deal allowed the Mets to sign future Hall-of-Famers guys we’ve heard of Mike Hampton, Todd Zeile and Derek Bell. The Mets advanced to the World Series that year before being trounced by the Yankees 4-1. After that season, Zeile stuck around another season and sucked, Bell went to the Pirates, and Hampton became the greatest pitcher in the history of baseball. Haha, just kidding, he developed leprosy.

Read more: Mets Ink Bobby Bonilla To 25-Year Deal | With Leather

Fred Wilpon needed to free up some money? What a surprise!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fucking Wilpons have to go. Just reading this shit has pissed me off all over again.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn't sell during the whole Madoff Scandal I don't think they ever will. Which is unfortunate since they are the common denominator. The Mets have an advantage over every team besides the Yankees, GMs, managers, players have come and gone yet the results are the same.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the failed all in latin experiment killed the mets as it is currently doing to the marlins

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didn't sell during the whole Madoff Scandal I don't think they ever will. Which is unfortunate since they are the common denominator. The Mets have an advantage over every team besides the Yankees, GMs, managers, players have come and gone yet the results are the same.

I've got faith in Alderson, but the question is how far will the "Coupons" let him take things? Even with all the talk of money next year, I can see them nickel and diming everything to death. :gaah:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got faith in Alderson, but the question is how far will the "Coupons" let him take things? Even with all the talk of money next year, I can see them nickel and diming everything to death. :gaah:

If the Wilpons finances are in order they will spend. In fact in the past they were all too willing to throw their money away to undeserving players (Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar, Jason Bay etc. etc.). I think we're in great shape.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Wilpons finances are in order they will spend. In fact in the past they were all too willing to throw their money away to undeserving players (Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar, Jason Bay etc. etc.). I think we're in great shape.

Who would you target, bullpen? Outfield/Ellsbury/Stanton? Shortstop?

Or all of the above?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you target, bullpen? Outfield/Ellsbury/Stanton? Shortstop?

Or all of the above?

SS we're good, I like Ruben Tejada a lot actually.

OF and bullpen are musts. I would love to get Ellsbury and to a lesser extent Choo. Bullpen I don't know what's out there (take a chance on Brian Wilson?), but I want at least 2 reliable vets to go along with whatever we bring up through the system.

Again, I would trade Buck at some point this year for help out of the pen.

If we could manage a blockbuster for Stanton I think you have to do that (I wouldn't give up both D'Arnaud and Wheeler however). I think adding a power bat is huge because it would allow Wright to become a contact hitter again which he is amazing at, instead of constantly trying to pull the ball and be our main source of power.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really too bad Johan got hurt, I think he could've brought back some real good pieces in a trade. Nothing over the top but we could've gotten some help for the pen or even just a dependable everyday outfielder.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS we're good, I like Ruben Tejada a lot actually.

OF and bullpen are musts. I would love to get Ellsbury and to a lesser extent Choo. Bullpen I don't know what's out there (take a chance on Brian Wilson?), but I want at least 2 reliable vets to go along with whatever we bring up through the system.

Again, I would trade Buck at some point this year for help out of the pen.

If we could manage a blockbuster for Stanton I think you have to do that (I wouldn't give up both D'Arnaud and Wheeler however). I think adding a power bat is huge because it would allow Wright to become a contact hitter again which he is amazing at, instead of constantly trying to pull the ball and be our main source of power.

It couldn't hurt to sign Brian Wilson for an incentive-laden deal. As far as Stanton is concerned, if the deal is d'Arnaud and Wheeler for him, I think we have to do it. Bottom line: he's a proven stud. If we can get away with giving up just one of them, that's fantastic.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In typical Mets fashion, Harvey goes 9 innings, 12 Ks, 1 hit, no runs and gets a no decision. Let up an infield single with 2 outs in the 7th to blow the perfect game. God damn this guy is The Real Deal.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matt-harvy-gif.gif

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The complications of protective headgear for pitchers; Could White Sox' Alex Rios, Jake Peavy interest Mets?; a take on Cano | New York Daily News

Not sure if this is just the writer's thoughts or if there is some real interest here, but Peavy and Rios for the right price could be some quality additions to the team. No idea what we would have to give up but I wouldn't mind either guy on the team.
I think Rios is owed a lot of money for the next couple of years, but yeah, I wouldn't mind it either. Depending on what we give up, of course.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be wild if the Mets made a run at Cano?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't it be wild if the Mets made a run at Cano?

It would be amazing, however if he is actually linked to PED use it may only be a matter of time before A: He gets popped or B: His game falls off as he stops taking it.

But wow, I wonder what would happen with Murphy then? Maybe move to OF? Or to first? I feel like Ike is a wildcard here. How much longer can the Mets wait for this guy to come around before they cut their losses? I fear pitchers may have figured him out and we may not see another 30+ HR season.