• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa Wrestling

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to look at how the wrestling team will do this year...now I know we have been top 5 the last few years and even a bit lower...since we are basically the Alabama/FSU/whomever is perennial powerhouse of college wrestling, it has been hard to see PSU win the last few titles, especially since Cael couldn't do crapola at his alma mater.

He goes into State College and all of a sudden has titles, ugh. But I think we rebound this year, we need to be top 2 at least. We are getting big time recruits it seems, but missed out on a great kid from Bettendorf who went to Minnesota (Stroker).

In any case, the Hawkeyes have 9 seniors this year and I hope they go out with a team title. Figure it is time to talk about something other than our football coaches.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many states have altered their high school athletics to more of "insert the sport" factory approach. Iowa, is very reluctant to make these types of changes to their high school sports. Pennsylvania, as a whole, has made several of these moves and it seems to paying more dividends in their high school wrestling. It will be very hard for Iowa to ascent to their previous level - and stay there for 3+ consecutive years. Hard to complain about a top 5 national finish though....given Iowa's standard of excellence in wrestling.

I hope the team does win all of its matches and re-builds that excellence!!

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what it is about Iowa. Their top talent peaks too soon or something. They are 3x finalists that end up getting 7th or 8th their senior year. Iowa's recruiting is not the problem and I don't think it's a development problem. I do think it is something to do with coaching, but I don't know the resolution. I have learned that getting the athletes to peak at the right time is something a coach can prevent.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois HS sophomore who mimics Tony Ramos committed to Iowa.

The Hawkeyes also picked up commitments from a pair of top juniors during the last two months: Pennsylvanian Kaleb Young and two-time Ohio state champ Alex Marinelli.

Top Illinois prep sophomore following idol to Iowa