• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iowa weather

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In September, we had school days cancelled due to the heat index hitting well over 100 degrees and humid. We could have school cancelled (some already cancelled) on Monday because wind chills are so low.

How many other states can say they get schooled cancelled because the heat index reached well into 100s AND wind chill reached -35 or lower nearly every year?

FALLING TEMPS: -35º to -50º Wind Chills | WHOTV.com

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, when I grew up going to school in W'loo we had the same Heat and prob even colder than now, but I don't ever recall school closures due to temps. Maybe due to blizzard and such, but not because it was too hot or too cold.

We've become pussified in nearly every aspect these days...

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It comes down to the buses. It's more likely to close in cold because the diesel in the bus turns to gel, which could damage the bus (at least that is what the bus driver told me on the way to the wrestling meet last night).

Also, the school I worked at had an air conditioner problem. Over 85% of the school building didn't have AC. That had a huge impact on whether we had school.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had no AC in our schools and I can guarantee we never once canceled classes due to heat. I get the whole cold argument as some kids need to walk/bike to school, but heat? Come on.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to Irving Elem and West Jr in W'loo Both built in like 1910. Neither had A/C. We dealt with it.

pussified.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St Louis right now, I have 6 inches of snow in the driveway, temps at only 20 for now, supposed to be -8 and a high tomorrow of 1...now Iowa gets a lot colder on average than here, but I think it is fine to close schools for such high temps and low temps and snow...it's nothing to do with being a wuss, but safety these days.

I would not want any kid standing out in negative temps even though as you point out, I did it...were we tougher, I would say yes, but that is just the way it was. We are safer these days at least, but I have daughters, so I guess that is my reasoning.

I lived in the mountains at Keystone ski resort in the winter of 1992-93 and the weather we are getting the next couple of days here, I chuckle at, this was a daily/nightly occurrence up there.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St Louis right now, I have 6 inches of snow in the driveway, temps at only 20 for now, supposed to be -8 and a high tomorrow of 1...now Iowa gets a lot colder on average than here, but I think it is fine to close schools for such high temps and low temps and snow...it's nothing to do with being a wuss, but safety these days.

I would not want any kid standing out in negative temps even though as you point out, I did it...were we tougher, I would say yes, but that is just the way it was. We are safer these days at least, but I have daughters, so I guess that is my reasoning.

I lived in the mountains at Keystone ski resort in the winter of 1992-93 and the weather we are getting the next couple of days here, I chuckle at, this was a daily/nightly occurrence up there.

Hawkeye, you're such a puss! :bawling:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colder than a witch's titty here today too. Shoveled 8-10" out of my driveway yesterday only the have the howling winds blow it back in last night. Trying to muster the fortitude to get back out there.......

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year, there were many times that the school I work at (Marshalltown High School) still had normal hours and all the rural schools around (East Marshall, BCLUW, West Marshall, GMG, etc) cancelled. I was really upset a few times because I was terrified driving to school (I live 15 miles out of town) and I wasn't going to call in. I need that money. I hate calling in.

I never really understood why they let kids out for heat myself. It's not that I am the one that made the decision. I'm no superintendent. I grew up in a rural school, where I had classmates that drove 30+ miles to make school and still lived in the district. So, it really didn't take much to for school to get cancelled due to cold.

We had AC when I was in HS except for a few classes and we got out early on some hot days, but not most.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a puss? hmm...well fine by me, I am safe and sound inside in the warmth, did get the top 7 inches shoveled now only to see 3 more on it again after lunch, ugh. The damn wind is what is the main part.

When I grew up we did late start or early out, that is really all the schools need to do, but the issue in St Louis with doing that is all the working parents who can't wait for the kids or pick them up early. Small town Iowa, no problem, here, with 3 million people, not so easy.

On to other chores before I go back out and shovel again, remember to drip your faucets and have heat on in the basement if you have one. The good thing here is at least it is only a couple days, tomorrow really cold, then Tuesday high of 15, but back into the 30's on Wed (more snow forecasted though) and Sat in the 40's...but plows here, holy crap they suck.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a puss? hmm...well fine by me, I am safe and sound inside in the warmth, did get the top 7 inches shoveled now only to see 3 more on it again after lunch, ugh. The damn wind is what is the main part.

When I grew up we did late start or early out, that is really all the schools need to do, but the issue in St Louis with doing that is all the working parents who can't wait for the kids or pick them up early. Small town Iowa, no problem, here, with 3 million people, not so easy.

On to other chores before I go back out and shovel again, remember to drip your faucets and have heat on in the basement if you have one. The good thing here is at least it is only a couple days, tomorrow really cold, then Tuesday high of 15, but back into the 30's on Wed (more snow forecasted though) and Sat in the 40's...but plows here, holy crap they suck.

When I lived in St Charles, I thought it was pretty funny that they put cinders down on the roads when it snowed. Talk about an eyesore!

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While we're currently not quite at the altitude of Keystone (7,300 feet vs. 9,000 feet) we basically get the same shitty weather for 5 months out of the year and yes, I too chuckle at everyone bemoaning their weather. Come out here for a weekend and step outside first thing in the a.m. before the sun rises. It's like getting slapped in the face with a (cold) wet towel. Snow? We get it just about 4 days a week on average.

Beyond that, it sure seems like there is a lot more attention paid to weather. Hell, the first story on the NATIONAL news the other day was cold weather and snow. Don't we get cold weather and snow every year? I think the advent of these 24 hour news channels and the internet just makes these news channels starved for news and weather always seems to get people's attention for whatever reason.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're currently not quite at the altitude of Keystone (7,300 feet vs. 9,000 feet) we basically get the same shitty weather for 5 months out of the year and yes, I too chuckle at everyone bemoaning their weather. Come out here for a weekend and step outside first thing in the a.m. before the sun rises. It's like getting slapped in the face with a (cold) wet towel. Snow? We get it just about 4 days a week on average.

Beyond that, it sure seems like there is a lot more attention paid to weather. Hell, the first story on the NATIONAL news the other day was cold weather and snow. Don't we get cold weather and snow every year? I think the advent of these 24 hour news channels and the internet just makes these news channels starved for news and weather always seems to get people's attention for whatever reason.

Legal pot sales in Colorado...

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the reason they use cinders and such is that when it drops below a certain temperature, the salt and such does not work, so for traction they go to sand and cinders, never mind having a decent snow plow crew that knows how to remove the damn stuff...although for this storm, the wind is a bitch, 30 mph most of the day so this time I can't fault them too much, it just blows right back on the streets, but in general the plows here have no clue.

We have had one pass down our road, in the middle, one up the street, one down, so I have a good 2 foot snow drift from where I stopped shoveling (edge of road) out to the middle where it is clearer...now come on, make 2 more passes and it's all good, but nope, I get to go shovel out further if I want to get the car out. Morons!

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know the reason they think they are putting down the cinders for, it's just that it's stupid.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I walked from my apartment across from Carver down to student health because my ear exploded the night befor they took my temperature and it was 92°....it had to be wind chill-20 that day

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all will love this, we got another 2 inches of snow last night but they called school...why? Not because of the snow, schools get that cleaned off quickly, it's due to the really poor job of snow removal on the streets...St Louis county has no clue about snow removal when it is more than a couple of inches, the roads were so bad from the previous snow that they still haven't even come close to getting that off the streets, so 2 more inches made it 100% worse...it's laughable.

I wish I had a truck or even a riding lawn mower with the blade on...my street would be the clearest in the city.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, HRUF, your temp was 92? Regular is 98.6, if you were down at 92, that is hypothermia and they would have you in the hospital, your body would be in severe shock...you ok?