• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting read on why Holgs should be failing...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad...I posted this on another board last December. You ask where is the fantastic QB's that was promised so here is some research I did back then...and you can also add Grier to that list now...the highest rated recruit to ever play at WVU. Also, if you read the article by Drenning that was posted on here, you'll see proof that it generally takes 3 seasons for a lot of QB's to reach their full potential. I think we'll see a huge improvement in Skyler this season. Others seem to think the same as he was named to the Maxwell Watch list.

When you think about it, who has Holgs recruited to be the QB of the future? There were no QB's in the 2008 recruiting class, only Geno was in the 2009 class, and Brunetti and Jeremy Johnson both transferred out of the 2010 class. In 2011, there was Brian Athey (recruited by Mullen) and Millard. Both of them were signed out of necessity because there was literally NO depth. In 2012, he recruited Ford Childress which was a 4* kid whose Dad was an NFL All-Pro, and took Clint Trickett to add much needed depth. Ford was supposed to be his guy to groom but honestly, who would've thought he would turn out the way that he did? It wasn't a development or talent problem...it was a partying problem (see his stats at Fresno State) and he was cut loose before his sophomore season. Chavas Rawlins was taken in the 2013 class but was recruited by Spatival and transferred out after he left. That brings us to our current situation. I think Howard was brought in as more depth insurance. Technically, the jury is still out on Crest and he appears to be a possible bust but in all fairness, it is too early to tell since he's a RS Freshman. Last years class of QB's will likely seal the fate of Holgs. Will Chuggs or Sills step it up this off season or will Saunders wow everyone as a true freshman?

After researching this, IMO, there has only been one "swing and miss" so far with Childress and I can't put that squarely on Holg's shoulders. It seems like the first few years as HC, he was scrambling to recruit "warm bodies" to put out on the field in most positions but especially QB. The situation that he stepped into was VERY unique and that is why I have had patience with him and will continue to support him for one more season. Just like many other fans, I am not happy with past few seasons and this season but I just can't say that firing him is the answer right now. They buyout is too large and with all of the P5 HC jobs that was open and filled already, what QUALITY hire would you make? The answer is, there is none unless you take a re-tread like Butch Davis who would have the NCAA breathing down our necks immediately or an "up and coming" assistant with no HC experience.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wvu_man - Unfortunately what you have posted will fall on deaf ears with Poppy. Facts and stats are nothing but smoke and mirrors. You have to throw out BS and hope it sticks. Logic need not apply.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wvu_man - Unfortunately what you have posted will fall on deaf ears with Poppy. Facts and stats are nothing but smoke and mirrors. You have to throw out BS and hope it sticks. Logic need not apply.

Haha...I don't mean to pick on Dad. We all have our opinions. He and my Dad would get along just fine because my Pap thinks DH should be canned too. Every fan has been frustrated at times with DH and in some instances, they have every right to be. But when you dig deeper into the situation and research it out, a lot of the heat that DH gets is unwarranted. Nobody can convince me in anyway that the 2013 season was a result of poor recruiting or lack thereof, and attrition from HCBS. When you look at the roster and/or depth chart from that season, it screams inexperience and lack of chemistry with DH just looking to fill holes in anyway that he could. I think Dad said that chemistry comes from the head coach. I agree with that to a point but it also comes with practice and repetitions. It's hard to build that in one offseason with newcomers on all 3 sides of the ball who hasn't played much with each other.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha...I don't mean to pick on Dad. We all have our opinions. He and my Dad would get along just fine because my Pap thinks DH should be canned too. Every fan has been frustrated at times with DH and in some instances, they have every right to be. But when you dig deeper into the situation and research it out, a lot of the heat that DH gets is unwarranted. Nobody can convince me in anyway that the 2013 season was a result of poor recruiting or lack thereof, and attrition from HCBS. When you look at the roster and/or depth chart from that season, it screams inexperience and lack of chemistry with DH just looking to fill holes in anyway that he could. I think Dad said that chemistry comes from the head coach. I agree with that to a point but it also comes with practice and repetitions. It's hard to build that in one offseason with newcomers on all 3 sides of the ball who hasn't played much with each other.

That is what some of us have been saying. I just don't want you to bang your head against a wall like we have done with Poppy since our CBS days. Good to see new posters on here. Just to let you know, everything you posted is an excuse. Just thought I'd be the first to tell you. :10:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B12 is NOT the SEC, since WVU has been in the B12, Kansas and IAST are still a joke, yet Holgorsen managed to lose to them. Texas is a shell of what they once were, KSU, TT, OSU arent exactly Alabama. Oklahoma, Baylor and TCU have been really good the past few years, but have certainly been vulnerable, if you remember, TCU came from a weaker league than WVU did, had one bad year in the B12 and has been on top since, the only difference between TCU and WVU is coaching.

Don't fall for the SEC's hype machine, fueled by ESPN. Big 12 is a tough as hell conference. WVU's offense could walk right into the SEC and shred their defenses with ease tomorrow.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 is no slouch for sure, anyone who thinks this cons compared to the BE we left is just bitching to bitch.

I will keep saying it..first time coach with 4 out of 5 winning seasons, this year the recruits that are keeping us on the list is amazing considering that dumbass Lyons is not backing our coach.

I also love how people praise Gibson for his coaching job....who do you think recruited all those players? lol

Again.....7, 8, and 10 win seasons are all solid seasons in our teams history, well except if DH is coach.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not talking about Poppy, are you? You know, Mr. College Football.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. College Football talks about the loss to Iowa St., a loss which clearly defined Dana as a HC.

Yet he cries like a little bitch that Billy Stewart was fired despite losing to teams like Colorado.

Billy was leading the Fiesta Bowl champions... a preseason top 10 team... with one of the greatest WVU QB's of all-time back for his SR season. And, they lost to a team like Colorado...

What kind of world do we live in...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what some of us have been saying. I just don't want you to bang your head against a wall like we have done with Poppy since our CBS days. Good to see new posters on here. Just to let you know, everything you posted is an excuse. Just thought I'd be the first to tell you. :10:

Oh I've been around since the early CBS days...about 9-10 years. I never did post that much but was a very adamant reader though...just about everyday so I know of the longstanding battle between most posters and Daddy-O haha. In the end though, we all bleed blue and gold and want to see the program succeed. We just have different ideas and opinions on how success should be obtained :suds:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing what 45 years of coaching does for you.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real...

Almost 25 years as the KSU head coach. LOL!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys see the interview DH had on ESPN for the Big 12 media day?

This guy has really bought into what our state is about and the people there. I think he also made a very classy move letting Steadman come back to school and earn his degree.

Besides RR leaving, the fact our fans do not like a coach like DH and a QB like Skyler...two fighters, two guys that will do anything to win really baffles me. I would have thought that would be right up our alley. Anyway I think we are going to have a really solid season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you drunk?

Dana wears black on the sideline. He is a drunk. He can't coach. He loses to Kansas and Iowa St every year.

Skyler can't hit wide open WR's while he's running for his life. He can't keep hold of the ball while a blitzing LB is taking his head off.

Both parties are an embarrassment for a great state like WV. Proud people. Proud of their meth addiction. Proud of their obesity. Proud of their poor education system.

Proud to be rated near the bottom of every category in the US...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man DC, you made me feel bad for being so critical of Skyler. He was too reckless with the football when he first started, at least for me, and I felt he made some bad reads,with his happy feet, during crucial parts of a few games. Hopefully he will have his best season ever.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you drunk?

Dana wears black on the sideline. He is a drunk. He can't coach. He loses to Kansas and Iowa St every year.

Skyler can't hit wide open WR's while he's running for his life. He can't keep hold of the ball while a blitzing LB is taking his head off.

Both parties are an embarrassment for a great state like WV. Proud people. Proud of their meth addiction. Proud of their obesity. Proud of their poor education system.

Proud to be rated near the bottom of every category in the US...

Oh boy. Now ya done it.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing what 45 years of coaching does for you.
THAT's the point, mad, WVU is not a place for OJT, we are a major school in a major conference and our flagship team should be coached by a guy who knows how to be a HC from day one, not a guy learning how by trial and error. The last two WVU football coaches have been caretakers, both hires were mistakes. I am hopeful for this season for one reason, the pundits have us ranked pretty low, and that is when WVU does best!! I say if there is not marked improvement this year, it is time for a change, the excuses are getting old, Every player on the team came in under Holgorsen, his staff sought out and recruited THESE players, so every one of them should fit his systems. To think, had Garrison kept his pie hole shut, Jimbo would be our coach today!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT's the point, mad, WVU is not a place for OJT, we are a major school in a major conference and our flagship team should be coached by a guy who knows how to be a HC from day one, not a guy learning how by trial and error. The last two WVU football coaches have been caretakers, both hires were mistakes. I am hopeful for this season for one reason, the pundits have us ranked pretty low, and that is when WVU does best!! I say if there is not marked improvement this year, it is time for a change, the excuses are getting old, Every player on the team came in under Holgorsen, his staff sought out and recruited THESE players, so every one of them should fit his systems. To think, had Garrison kept his pie hole shut, Jimbo would be our coach today!!!

While that is what you (anybody) would think / expect, it hasn't been that way for WVU. We run one good coach off in Bobby Bowden and during the RR drama, BOTH Garrison and Pastilong blew it. While there are some who feel,like you, I do not feel that we have that status. It is hard to recruit kids without a big named HC at the helm, but I do feel Dana's staff have been doing well. I support this slow growth because we are not a Texas, Oklahoma, USC type of storied program. I wanted Jimbo but then idiot boy Garrison blew that up. My next choice was Butch Davis, but for some reason that turned into a no-go. Bud Foster was my other grab, but we know that didn't happen either. Check out the list of names in this article who actually wanted to come here. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...blamed-for-coach-leaving/stories/200712180271

In my opinion, we are not at that level were we can have a high powered HC want to come here. There is just too much going against us for a coach of that caliber to consider coming here. We have to take a chance with an up and coming coordinator or a HC from a smaller school. Just like Rusher said about Dana, he is what he is until he isn't; the same thing applies to us and our sports program. Until we get that NC, we are what everybody assumes we are. We need to grow with a HC. We can't have a 5 year and out policy we need to establish our program and we were heading in that direction with RR until the wheels fell off.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks WVU will attract a coach with 15+ years of experience is fucking delusional. Jumbo had how many years of HC experience when WVU was courting him?

Why is it preferable to hire Jimbo over Dana?

If Jimbo was at WVU since Rich's departure, WVU would be in no better position. You cannot win in the Big 12 with recruiting classes as poor as WVU's.