• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting article on the future of conference realignment

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what the media "experts" are saying, national appeal is going to be the driving factor in future media negotiations instead of big state population/tv market numbers/regional appeal.

This is great news.

Great news?

Not for the PAC.

vkDz7_s-200x150.gif

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why hasn’t the Big12 added Boise St, Houston, Cincinnati and UCF? Because it doesn’t matter if you add garbage, it’s all about the number of teams?
People could say the same of Utah to the Pac, TCU to the Big XII and Louisville to the Big East/ACC but those teams made their jumps fairly well.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People could say the same of Utah to the Pac, TCU to the Big XII and Louisville to the Big East/ACC but those teams made their jumps fairly well.
Those teams also had prolonged success before jumping to those conferences. With the exception of Boise St, none of those other teams have. If it’s only about the number of teams and whoever is added will be become contenders shortly after, why hasn’t the Big12 sent out any invites?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those teams also had prolonged success before jumping to those conferences. With the exception of Boise St, none of those other teams have. If it’s only about the number of teams and whoever is added will be become contenders shortly after, why hasn’t the Big12 sent out any invites?
The Big 12 is altruistic and doing the humane thing. They are just going to let the conference die a real slow painful death and do not feel it is ethical to invite someone else to die with them.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CCG is a defacto playoff game so it works. You don’t have to like it but it does.
Unless of course you don't have to play in the CCG because you did not win the conference.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 side really needs to be in the hunt, because a loss could possibly keep them out.

Wisconsin vs Ohio St this past year is an example of that in action as I don't believe Ohio St legitimately still had a chance at that point.

It's why they say every game in the regular season is a playoff game(for those still in it).
But never let us forget. If Ohio State had scheduled Eastern Kentucky instead of Oklahoma, they would have been in the playoff instead of Alabama.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But never let us forget. If Ohio State had scheduled Eastern Kentucky instead of Oklahoma, they would have been in the playoff instead of Alabama.

And?

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...they'd of lost 31-0 to Clemson.:shrug:
What they would have done against Clemson is not relevant. They would have earned (playing Eastern Kentucky instead of OU as Alabama did by playing Mercer) the right to be there. Will we (potentially) some day eliminate a team (even possibly an undefeated team) that loses its starting QB, its running back, it best wide receiver, their top edge rusher and cornerback to injury in their CCG on the premise that they are no longer one of the top 4 teams without those players. Teams need to win their conference (or at least play in it) or be undefeated (or have the least number of losses in the country i.e. one loss if every other team has 2 losses) to displace a conference champion. Good luck with that Notre Dame (even though I am an ND fan).

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they would have done against Clemson is not relevant. They would have earned (playing Eastern Kentucky instead of OU as Alabama did by playing Mercer) the right to be there. Will we (potentially) some day eliminate a team (even possibly an undefeated team) that loses its starting QB, its running back, it best wide receiver, their top edge rusher and cornerback to injury in their CCG on the premise that they are no longer one of the top 4 teams without those players. Teams need to win their conference (or at least play in it) or be undefeated (or have the least number of losses in the country i.e. one loss if every other team has 2 losses) to displace a conference champion. Good luck with that Notre Dame (even though I am an ND fan).
Well, Alabama played FSU (at least an attempt to play someone good).

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 is altruistic and doing the humane thing. They are just going to let the conference die a real slow painful death and do not feel it is ethical to invite someone else to die with them.

Problem is the Big 12 makes more $$$ than the pac and ACC, and the pac messed up and invested their own $$$ into the pac network. Big 12 might end up being the hunters next go around, taking Arizona & Arizona state.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is the Big 12 makes more $$$ than the pac and ACC, and the pac messed up and invested their own $$$ into the pac network. Big 12 might end up being the hunters next go around, taking Arizona & Arizona state.
Yep. From what I was taught in my elementary West Texas arithmetic class, the total revenue must exceed or at least remain in proportion to the divisor in order to keep the net amount of revenue per school from decreasing.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. From what I was taught in my elementary West Texas arithmetic class, the total revenue must exceed or at least remain in proportion to the divisor in order to keep the net amount of revenue per school from decreasing.

you must've had a good teacher, my aunt taught in Fort Stockton for 30 years. Glad to see the west Texas education system is still strong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is wrong.

The Oklahoma loss is not what did Ohio St in. I would say it barely hurt them at all. It was the blowout loss to Iowa @ home that took Ohio St out.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is wrong.

The Oklahoma loss is not what did Ohio St in. I would say it barely hurt them at all. It was the blowout loss to Iowa @ home that took Ohio St out.

But if you were to replace the Oklahoma game with an Eastern Kentucky, Ohio State gets in over Alabama despite the Iowa blowout which is what I believe his point was. They both would have had one loss but Ohio State would have won their conference where Alabama didn't even win their division plus Ohio State's schedule was harder even if you were to remove Oklahoma from it. They had wins over #7 Wisconsin, #8 Penn State, and #15 Michigan State while Alabama didn't beat a single top 15 team all year with a loss to #10 Auburn and then wins over #18 LSU and #19 Mississippi State.

Regardless with the schedules they did play and the results, going into it I personally thought Alabama deserved the nod from the committee which they did get and obviously ultimately proved that they also deserved.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma schools may not want to go to the PAC too many issues with games starting late on the West Coast.

I think the SEC is a more likely option.

The Big 12 could add 6 American schools - Houston, SMU, the Florida schools, Memphis and Temple - and western mid-major powers Boise and BYU so that they could have a true national footprint.

Probably the biggest reason I was against Texas going, way back in one of the previous iterations of expansion.

That's why I think the Big12, or give it another name, will stay. Some teams just fit there better than elsewhere. I think the conference will end up grabbing someone, who knows who from where: times change, and we have NO IDEA what the the landscape is going to be like in 3-4 years.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the biggest reason I was against Texas going, way back in one of the previous iterations of expansion.

That's why I think the Big12, or give it another name, will stay. Some teams just fit there better than elsewhere. I think the conference will end up grabbing someone, who knows who from where: times change, and we have NO IDEA what the the landscape is going to be like in 3-4 years.

The Oklahoma schools I think could be very attractive to the SEC, and the schools I mentioned for the Big 12 are all good fits. And I also think Cincy and UConn should be in the ACC, I don't believe for one second they won't do a thing in the next round of realignment (especially with the opportunity to have geographic FB divisions coming).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you were to replace the Oklahoma game with an Eastern Kentucky, Ohio State gets in over Alabama despite the Iowa blowout which is what I believe his point was. They both would have had one loss but Ohio State would have won their conference where Alabama didn't even win their division plus Ohio State's schedule was harder even if you were to remove Oklahoma from it. They had wins over #7 Wisconsin, #8 Penn State, and #15 Michigan State while Alabama didn't beat a single top 15 team all year with a loss to #10 Auburn and then wins over #18 LSU and #19 Mississippi State.

Regardless with the schedules they did play and the results, going into it I personally thought Alabama deserved the nod from the committee which they did get and obviously ultimately proved that they also deserved.

I disagree, this is to say Ohio St was punished for the Oklahoma loss, when it wasn't. It was the Iowa loss that did them in, and even if you replace that game, it's still the Iowa loss that will do them in.

Now if you could replace it with a quality win, that would be a different story.

All the while this is only a conversation because Alabama gets 0 credit for beating Florida St. And it's funny because meanwhile, others are suggesting Ohio St shouldn't have played a tough game, while Alabama actually did but gets 0 credit.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oklahoma schools I think could be very attractive to the SEC, and the schools I mentioned for the Big 12 are all good fits. And I also think Cincy and UConn should be in the ACC, I don't believe for one second they won't do a thing in the next round of realignment (especially with the opportunity to have geographic FB divisions coming).
A lot of what the ACC does I believe will be determined by what Notre Dame does. If they feel like their only route to the national championship is by joining a conference, they'll likely join the ACC and then they'll only add one additional team to get to 16.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of what the ACC does I believe will be determined by what Notre Dame does. If they feel like their only route to the national championship is by joining a conference, they'll likely join the ACC and then they'll only add one additional team to get to 16.
And ND stays indie then UConn and Cincy would be the likely candidates (either way the ACC would skew northerly in order to have geographic football divisions, which the NC schools obviously want so that they all play each other again). Of course I don't see ND going into a football conference any time in the foreseeable future.

And one of the main reasons I want Boise and BYU in the Big 12 together is to end the Pac-12's monopoly on Power 5 football in the West (and to bring the Big 12 back into the West years after they lost Colorado).