• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Important story edit on Hossa

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
discreet little edit that came after a few questions started being asked yesterday afternoon

original story that ran is still on the vancouver sun website (without edit/update) ... written by Craig Custance from the Sporting News

from the Vancouver Sun:

Chicago's courting of Marian Hossa began in Dale Tallon's Montreal hotel room at last June's draft.

It was there that the Blackhawks general manager met seriously with agent Rich Winter for the first time. It was there he let Winter know just how interested he was in signing Hossa.

Read more: Hossa won't be content as runner-up

on Sporting News website right now:

Courting of Marian Hossa began in Dale Tallon's Montreal hotel room at last June's draft. It was there that the Tallon, then general manager of the Chicago Blackhawks, met seriously with agent Ritch Winter for the first time. It was there he let Winter know just how interested he was in signing Hossa.

It was an unusual arrangement. Hossa wouldn't become a free agent until July 1, but his one-year deal with Detroit had come with a gentlemen's agreement: He could negotiate with other teams if a longer-term deal with the Red Wings fell through.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could he have a "gentlemen's agreement"? Isn't that part of the CBA and not an issue that can be bypassed by individual players and team's?

Look's like a Woooooopsss. Moment

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could he have a "gentlemen's agreement"? Isn't that part of the CBA and not an issue that can be bypassed by individual players and team's?

Look's like a Woooooopsss. Moment

I heard Canucks GM Mike Gillis on the radio say the agreement Hossa had with the Wings was valid

its a huge point to miss from the original story though ... apparently alot of writers started putting calls in to NHL offices about the original story

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen's agreement aside, if up to me, I would think this stuff is a big deal. The league doesn't seem to care though. I remember many big free agent signings that happened minutes after the starting time and we are supposed to believe a team contacted a player and worked out a deal in 15 minutes?

I think there were some complaints about Roenick signing with the Flyers so soon after the start, but that was the only time I ever heard anyone in the league complain.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember many big free agent signings that happened minutes after the starting time and we are supposed to believe a team contacted a player and worked out a deal in 15 minutes?

Mattias Ohlund ... signs 7 minutes after free agency opens and his contract is one of those long term cap hit reducing jobs that has a tiered salary structure to it ... it only took 7 minutes to review that??? lol

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Mattias Ohlund ... signs 7 minutes after free agency opens and his contract is one of those long term cap hit reducing jobs that has a tiered salary structure to it ... it only took 7 minutes to review that??? lol

that one was hilarious.

I guess Ohlund could always claim plausible deniability. " I am a 31 year old defenseman with bad knees, on the downside of my career. Tampa offered me $25+ million to coast into the sunset. Am I going to say no?"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fairness, Brian Lawton was the GM of Tampa at that time...and as puck mentioned above, Mattias probably took a split second before he said, "Where do I sign?"

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Clarke try this kind of a stunt in an attempt to land Kesler?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Clarke try this kind of a stunt in an attempt to land Kesler?

Clarke sent Kesler an offer sheet when Kesler was an RFA... it's a little different, it's legal but somewhat frowned upon by GM's. At the time, it looked like Clarke was doing nothing more than trying to drive up the signing price on a marginal player... now it looks like he may have been on to something.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarke sent Kesler an offer sheet when Kesler was an RFA... it's a little different, it's legal but somewhat frowned upon by GM's. At the time, it looked like Clarke was doing nothing more than trying to drive up the signing price on a marginal player... now it looks like he may have been on to something.

Oh...right...right. I couldn't remember the details of that mess.

Thx Ed.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

yup. that was fair game. Gillis tried the same thing to get David Backes from St Lou, and their GM responded by making us pay a bit too much for Bernier.

may be a dick move, but it's legal.