• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Impact Wrestling

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, FWIW, most wrestling pundits raved about Slammiversary.

Meltzer had good things to say about it, but he was also full of backhanded compliments as well.

His comments just reeked of "Well, it wasn't done like it is in NJPW, so its a dated product." I can't recall one ref bump last night (which is odd in American wrestling), which is probably the most over-used spot in American wrestling. Also, they went all Total Nonstop deletion on us last night, when they could have subjected us to Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell Part II. Just a very odd statement by Meltzer.

So weird. I watch quite a bit of NJPW (and NOAH), and I think the hardcore puro fans are greatly over-estimating the impact NJPW's recent success has had in America. Also, NJPW has plenty of interference finishes:

-Both of AJ Styles' IWGP Heavyweight title wins were the result of outside interference from the Bullet Club
-Naito defeated Okada last year for the IWGP Heavyweight title, after Sanada debuted and attacked Okada.

Just looked it up, just about every IWGP Heavyweight title change since 2014 have had some type of outside shenanigans going on. That isn't the sign of an outdated product, its a sign that it is pro wrestling.

I'm an observer subscriber, but I only subscribe for the #scoops. I don't agree with a lot of his wrestling opinions. Looking back at old observers, it really is hilarious at how wrong Meltzer can be when he tries to predict the future, without any inside knowledge.

IMHO Meltzer only likes NJPW because his boyz Nick and Matt are there.

Granted NJPW has had a few good matches.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe he should go full time then. He's close to empty as far as his NFL career goes. He might not think so but the league doesn't look too kindly on guys his age coming off injury.

This is a ballpark guess but he's probably made about $30 million in his football career. It's tough to go from that type of money to at most 200 k a year for something as physically demanding as wrestling. He'd need to be insanely passionate about it.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO Meltzer only likes NJPW because his boyz Nick and Matt are there.

Granted NJPW has had a few good matches.

Meltzer's love for puroseau is very real. It goes back decades, has nothing to do with the Bucks. Go back to the 1990s and look at how many AJPW matches he gave a 5* rating to.

My favorite Meltzer-ism is that he loves to criticize the bully culture that goes on in American pro wrestling, but conveniently ignores that a similar culture goes on in Japan (and its probably worse in Japan)

I like Big Dave, but when he steps away from the reporting side of things and starts giving his opinions, he can be so inconsistent.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super X Cup Tournament returning is good news. Also really like the participants and giving a global feel to it.

Would have preferred if they had built it up last week and had the matches start this week. I understand why they did it, though. May not have access to all of the talent you need during the next round of TV tapings.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super X Cup has been pretty fun so far.

Also sounds like Rey Mysterio is headed to GFW. WWE doesn't feel like dealing with Konnan, who is currently representing Mysterio.

This would be a pretty great signing for GFW. Rey will bring in star power and will be a strong babyface in the heavyweight division (which they're lacking right now).

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reads as if Jarrett is going on a leave of absence to attend rehab, but will still act as a creative consultant when needed.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm now starting to feel bad for all those involved with Impact/GFW. Such a shit show over the last year or two when it comes to management and owners. Will say, the wrestling has gotten a little better though.

Oh it has. Creatively there getting somewhere but not getting somewhere. Like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Case in point. Cornette coming in ( sf) and letting Lowki walk (2b)

American top team segments (sf). Eli drake as champ (2b)

Imo the best thing they did is they talked to AAA and NOAH

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it has. Creatively there getting somewhere but not getting somewhere. Like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Case in point. Cornette coming in ( sf) and letting Lowki walk (2b)

American top team segments (sf). Eli drake as champ (2b)

Imo the best thing they did is they talked to AAA and NOAH

I am really not understand Eli Drake as champion. I'm sorry, I just don't see a champion when I look at the guy. Also another step back was naming Johnny Mundo/Morrison/Nitro as Johnny Impact. Like, really? That's the best you could do?

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really not understand Eli Drake as champion. I'm sorry, I just don't see a champion when I look at the guy. Also another step back was naming Johnny Mundo/Morrison/Nitro as Johnny Impact. Like, really? That's the best you could do?
Yep

If i was creative. Put it on a guy who has been there and seems to reverting back to the ways when he was champ.

I would have put it on EC3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't know how this company has managed to stay in business as long as it has. I'm sure Vince is eagerly awaiting to see what happens so he can buy the tape library to put it on the network.

With Jeff Jarrett out; GFW faces uncertain future

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doomed. This is probably the death blow.
It'd suck for the talent since it'd be one less place to work and Vince probably wouldn't want but maybe a handful of the people there if he bought the rights.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing they became an even bigger mess after getting away from Dixie.

Like when the Texans got Osweiler, there was hope simply because he wasn't Brian Hoyer. Then we found out he was worse!

This whole Anthem mess is just like that. There was hope because they finally got rid of Dixie Carter. Then replaced her with worse!

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing they became an even bigger mess after getting away from Dixie.

Like when the Texans got Osweiler, there was hope simply because he wasn't Brian Hoyer. Then we found out he was worse!

This whole Anthem mess is just like that. There was hope because they finally got rid of Dixie Carter. Then replaced her with worse!

Anthem isn't worse than Dixie. Crew members are actually getting paid on time now.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthem isn't worse than Dixie. Crew members are actually getting paid on time now.

Oh no Anthem is way worse than Dixie, Dixie was just incompetent but Anthem knows better and they're still worse.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're doomed. This is probably the death blow.

This quote has been said approximately 130,403 times about TNA/Impact/GFW. It will never die. It's unkillable. Thousands of years from now aliens will land on Earth and while they are checking out some ancient ruins, they will stumble across a TNA show still going strong at Universal Studios

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This quote has been said approximately 130,403 times about TNA/Impact/GFW. It will never die. It's unkillable. Thousands of years from now aliens will land on Earth and while they are checking out some ancient ruins, they will stumble across a TNA show still going strong at Universal Studios

Things are different this time, before TNA had Dixie's parents money to keep it a-float, and when that ran out they were pretty much dead until she conned Billy Corgan to put some money in. Then she conned Anthem into buying the company and washing her hands of it. However strong rumors are Anthem is hemorrhaging money and just looking to sell it off to whomever and they were the only real bidders last time, this time there's no one.

If Anthem sells it will likely be to WWE for dirt, and Vince only wants it for the library especially now that all of TNA's former big names are under contract to him.