• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm sorry but I like Beathard

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just needs to learn to not sit in the pocket for minutes....he's more of an athlete than Rudock

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did our offense miss without Rudcok??? Fucking nothing...I fucking hate losing to Wisconsin...I wish they would just die

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perv

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He under threw receivers, camped in the pocket and scrambled once. I thought that when he came in that we would roll him out, but we didn't.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many more dimensions to a QB than having a rocket arm and being able to run fast. Rudock had a bad game yesterday but frankly, every QB did in that wind. Not making excuses for him, but the play calling didn't help him either. Used to be set up for throws by the threat of the 5 yard run. For some reason Davis decided to abandon the run altogether yesterday and just pass pass pass...of course, unless we had the wind to our backs, then it was just kind of sitting on the ball.

Hard to gauge a QB who comes in at garbage time. Didn't really see much out of Beathard that we haven't already seen out of Rudock. We've invested far too much time/effort into Jake to pull the carpet from under him already. Jake's our QB.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Rudock wasn't helped by Iowa's shitty receivers yesterday. Kevonte is (laughing) our best receiver and he dropped 3 balls that hit him in the chest/hands. Smith dropped a few, I think even Duzey dropped one.

Really hope recruiting WRs is a point of emphasis on this team in the offseason, that is our GLARING weakness on offense and has been since DJK and McNutt left. We either have slow guys with decent hands or fast guys who must be too dumb to know how to run routes or how to block.

We are solid a OL, QB, TE and RB for the next few years, really hope this position is upgraded soon. I think by Kevonte leaving it should be addition by subtraction. Just a really average receiver on his very best days.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that switching now would be a mistake. What did we throw the ball, like 90% of the time on 1st down? our run game has been our strength all year, why we'd all but abandon it in a close game is beyond me. We didn't use play action much yesterday either, Rudock is much better rolling out imo.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest issue was playcalling big time. Even when we did call the right play, someone dropped the ball. We contained that running game up until the game was decided, and then it got out of hand.

Was nice to see Ferentz plugged in all 4 RB's. That wouldn't have happened in the past, unless Weisman Bullock was hurt. Why Bullock doesn't get more plays is beyond me. He can catch and is explosive. Weisman just runs people over but think he's getting wore down by solid contact week in and week out.

KMM hurt us with his drops and outside of maybe 2 or 3 plays, the TE's weren't involved. It's almost like the coaching staff says, I know they are going to take our TE's away so let's not use them. Which in turn plays right into their defensive scheme. We owned them in the 1st quarter and should have been up at least 14 maybe 21 to 0. Then the game would have played into our hands. King is a welcome site at CB. Lowery/Lowdermilk/Miller got owned on both big pass plays. Well so did Morris but since we started blitzing more, we are getting bigger pressure on the QB.

mm03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He under threw receivers, camped in the pocket and scrambled once. I thought that when he came in that we would roll him out, but we didn't.

I thought he had some pretty good throws considering the wind. Not to mention the obvious passing downs that allowed Wisconsin to just sit back and cause coverage sacks. Then the 4 or so drops.. I'd like to see him get the start against Purdue so we can see what he could do with a run game.

It's an interesting situation to have a lot of potential at QB like this.. I guess I just prefer CJ because he actually showed earlier in the year that he's not afraid to run the read option which could be an interesting addition to the run game.. I also agree he's got a way better arm for the down field threat than Jake does.

This takes nothing away from Jake because he's shown a lot of potential too.. The problem is I think he needs more talent around him than CJ to win football games, and that's something Iowa doesn't have a whole lot of atm.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 4-16 with a back breaking int on our own 25 to ice the game. A week ago Rudock threw a pass from his back to win the game. I'm sticking with Rudock!

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Issue is not the QB!!! It's playcalling. There are games or times where I feel we only have 10 plays in the playbook. Most successful offensive teams have 70 to 100 and probably use 75% of them. We very rarely call that odd play and it either is 100% succesful, or 100% fails. You can't keep a defense off balance when they know what you are going to do 80% of the time. We are not over powering on our offensive line where we can just line up and get 4 to 6 yards a crack all game long.

Inside the red zone we have failed in the past few games to convert TD's. Wisconsin should have been at least a 17 or 21 to 7 at worst half time lead. Instead we owned them and went in down 7 to 6. Our first time in the locker room down all year.

Everyone is harping on a QB change on the radio stations and I say this. Stanzi completed 56.3% of his passes for 2417 yards with 17 TD's and 15 INT's(pick 6 was a few of them), and Iowa went 11 and 2.

This team has that capability, but coaching..UGH...play calling UGH... Mix it up. 2417 yards with 15 int's and everyone was calling for Vandenberg but we kept winning games.

I agree in that CJ brings a different dimension, but it's not anywhere closer to JC and Stanzi. Stanzi was the guy, Ferentz just couldn't commit to it.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rudock vs Beathard: I'm glad Iowa has that type of debate going on in its program. Having said that, each player has a different set of skills that makes them very effective. KF has always had a history of wanting one clear-cut starter at RB and at QB. Of late, KF has gone to a platoon-type system at RB but has not moved that way at the QB position. KF probably never will.

I feel that this is a coaching issue. And we all know how KF approaches game day. Here are a few observations I've made on this topic:
- The offensive tempo has slowed down considerably. Iowa isn't getting to run 80+ plays like it did during the OOC slate of games.
- Would a platoon-system at QB make Iowa tougher to prepare for? I'm not saying this would be a 50-50 split, but surely Beathard could have a package of plays that could be run. I would see this as a way to maximize the skill sets of each QB while keeping opposing defense off guard.
- The possibility of Beathard running the speed option set...but hitting Powell's speed on a fly route for 6 pts would be fun to watch.
- What gives Iowa the greatest chance to win its remaining games? Rudock continues to improve and is Iowa's starting QB. To KF, that is a security #1 -- answered !!
- Iowa's O-Line can run block, but against Wisconsin, struggled to pass block. Weird!!!

Both QBs would benefit from more speed at WR. That is a need for the Iowa program overall. And we all know that point. But given this team this year, speed is a moot point. Would love to see Powell's number called more often in Iowa's remaining games.