• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm glad we can all agree that Jabril Peppers is the best defensive player in the country

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you tell me where Myles Garrett fits into these rankings and how that supports you choosing him as the best defensive player in the country?

I'll wait.

Daeshon Hall has more tackles and TFLs than Garret. He is tied with Garrett for sacks. Yet, not a single person in the free world thinks Hall is a better player. Stats do not tell everything, especially when comparing a DL to LBs.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do YOU think is? This isn't a difficult question. Stop dodging it.

In your (seemingly uneducated) opinion, who do you THINK is the best defensive player in the country?

What part of ... it's too early to tell do you not understand?
You act like the biggest matchups of the season have already been played.

How am I suppose to determine who will win DPOTY when everyone has played a bunch of cupcakes offenses?
It's like asking who will win the Heisman in September ... completely stupid.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Rips Michigan fans for calling Jabril Peppers the best defensive player in the country because his stats are "average"*

*Chooses Myles Garrett as his pick for best defensive player in the country*

Peppers:
Tackles - 25
TFL - 9.5
Sacks - 2.0

Garrett:
Tackles - 6
TFL - 5.0
Sacks - 3.0

Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

Congrats. Your linebacker/safety has more tackles than a defensive lineman

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't make AVI bets with him, he's going to be losing a ban bet here in a few weeks after Washington kicks the shit outta USC.
I'm sure he's got about 3 different alts ready to go, all of each will be exposed when he can't help but like each and every OD post though.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daeshon Hall has more tackles and TFLs than Garret. He is tied with Garrett for sacks. Yet, not a single person in the free world thinks Hall is a better player. Stats do not tell everything, especially when comparing a DL to LBs.

This is the point we've been trying to get BTSBuckeye to understand this entire thread. Thanks for agreeing with me.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats. Your linebacker/safety has more tackles than a defensive lineman

More tackles for loss, too. But it looks like we agree that stats don't tell the full story?

Maybe you didn't read the whole thread, but it's the OSU fan dismissing a player based on stats, not me.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you don't watch Ohio State play ....
Obviously he doesn't do it every down (and he probably wont much anymore this year since Hooker and Lattimore are shutting people down in the backend).

I've watched this kid line up against WRs plenty of times during his career. He's only 3 PDs away from Peppers ... and Peppers PDs came from last year when he was at safety. Why do you think people were/are high on McMillan? Because he's excellent at covering the sidelines -or- the middle of the field.

Many LBs will matchup with a WR from time to time. I'm saying that McMillan doesn't line up outside the box and matchup with WRs the way Peppers does. Peppers does it often.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The title of this thread is "
Jabril Peppers is the best defensive player in the country"

You're stating that after 5 games, Jabril Pepper is a dominant OLD and will be DPOTY.

I cited stats because he has yet to prove ANY of those claims. So I'm just suppose to think he's the best defensive player in the country, a dominant OLB, and will be DPOTY ... because Michigan fans say so?

He is getting a lot of attention for his versatility, not just for his defensive performances .... that's a fact.

His defensive stats are average right now ... that's a fact.

He hasn't proven to be a difference maker against B1G teams with equal athletes on the offensive side of the ball ... that's a fact.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a dollar for every time a Michigan fan started a "best player in cfb" thread in the last 10 years I could quit my job today.

Let's see Pepper's make a difference against Ohio State's offense (He was a non-factor last year) ... until then I don't want to hear this shit.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The title of this thread is "
Jabril Peppers is the best defensive player in the country"

You're stating that after 5 games, Jabril Pepper is a dominant OLD and will be DPOTY.

I cited stats because he has yet to prove ANY of those claims. So I'm just suppose to think he's the best defensive player in the country, a dominant OLB, and will be DPOTY ... because Michigan fans say so?

He is getting a lot of attention for his versatility, not just on defense .... that's a fact.

His defensive stats are average right now ... that's a fact.

He hasn't proven to be a difference maker against B1G teams with equal athletes on the offensive side of the ball ... that's a fact.

It's not just Michigan fans that say or think Peppers is a dominant defensive player. That's a weird statement to make and is demonstrably false.

Fatsquirrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a dollar for every time a Michigan fan started a "best player in cfb" thread in the last 10 years I could quit my job today.

Let's see Pepper's make a difference against Ohio State's offense (He was a non-factor last year) ... until then I don't want to hear this shit.

Then don't click on the thread...

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just Michigan fans that say or think Peppers is a dominant defensive player. That's a weird statement to make and is demonstrably false.

Really? Can you provide a link from a decently reliable source stating that Peppers is the best defensive player in the country? Dominant OLB? Going to win DPOTY?

People are saying exactly what I have been saying ... He's an athletic and rangy football player who can play multiple positions. No one outside of Michigan is heralding him as some kind of defensive messiah.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then don't click on the thread...

Not clicking on a thread does not prevent you from seeing the title on the front page of the forum. You're response is void.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Can you provide a link from a decently reliable source stating that Peppers is the best defensive player in the country? Dominant OLB? Going to win DPOTY?

People are saying exactly what I have been saying ... He's an athletic and rangy football player who can play multiple positions. No one outside of Michigan is heralding him as some kind of defensive messiah.

You won't even concede that he is a dominant defensive player. That's so odd. Here are some sources that disagree with you:

Heisman Watch: Michigan's Jabrill Peppers makes compelling case

"This a guy who can play and excel at any position on defense — and he has. After primarily being a safety last season, coach Jim Harbaugh moved him up to starting linebacker, where he has been a force to be reckoned with."

20 best college football players so far in 2016

"2. Jabril Peppers - LB - Michigan
Without a doubt the most exciting defensive player in the nation — we’re all in on a “linebacker" who also returns punts. He plays offense, too. But he’s also third in the nation in tackles for loss. The kid can do it all, and it’s fun to watch it."

Paul Chryst previews Michigan

"Then when you watch him some more, he does a lot of the little things that are kind of reserved for when you specialize in it. That’s what’s impressive: his knowledge and awareness of the game, clearly as an athlete. He’s special, but I think the football part of him — the understanding — that’s what to me really makes him — he’s gotta be the best player in college football right now.”

Todd McShay has him as the #4 overall player in the draft as a defensive player.
Mel Kiper has him as the the #4 overall player draft as a defensive player.
CBS has him as the #3 overall player in the draft as a defensive player.

So yeah, it's safe to say that it's not just Michigan fans that think Peppers is a dominant defensive player. Not everyone is going to think he is the best defensive player in the country and that's fair, but anyone that thinks Peppers isn't a dominant defensive player hasn't watched the kid play.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell ... Michigan fans can't even agree that he's the best defensive player on the team.
But I'm suppose to take hailtoyourvictor's word as truth? I don't think so ...

Peppers is an athletic freak who has yet to prove he's dominant at any position. If you think otherwise you're being just a blind homer.

Doesn't mean he can't be ... doesn't mean he won't be. But we've only seen 5 weeks of play from him at OLB. He's more athletic than ANY players he's went toe to toe with thus far.