• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm a Christian (and Samantha) Ponder fan.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it's obvious that he has no place on the Vikings anymore, I'm hoping he'll still be able to catch on somewhere, eventually. With all the other garbage that gets reported about athletes, I felt this story was deserving of being shared more than just locally.

Saw this on the news last night, and all of my negative feelings towards him disappeared instantaneously. I know there are people that do this stuff everyday without recognition, but in spite of all the turmoil that Christian has faced in the past 12 months +, he was still able to unselfishly brighten the day for a grieving family that wasn't scripted or planned.

Vikings? Ponder Gives Shopping Spree To Grieving Family « CBS Minnesota

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article about that too. Cool story and no question that he is a great guy. I just hope he can figure things out a little better down the line as far as his playing goes. Would be good to see him have some success.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was really nice of Ponder to buy them those outfits, but the story beyond Ponder himself irks me a little. Yes, those kids' mother dying unexpectedly in an auto accident is terrible, but the parts about them "thinking their mom sent Christian Ponder there to buy them stuff" is a joke. I'm not religious, and hold no ill feelings towards those who are, but come on. To make ludicrous claims like their deceased mother sent a 3rd string athlete to randomly meet them in a mall and buy them shit diminishes the whole thing to me.

Just take it for what it was at face value - a nice person bumped into them and did something nice for them. That's it. There are no dead people magically doing favors for the living by sending backup pro athletes to buy them fancy clothes.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do Sammy...

b67e01ec_andrew-dice-clay-oh_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was really nice of Ponder to buy them those outfits, but the story beyond Ponder himself irks me a little. Yes, those kids' mother dying unexpectedly in an auto accident is terrible, but the parts about them "thinking their mom sent Christian Ponder there to buy them stuff" is a joke. I'm not religious, and hold no ill feelings towards those who are, but come on. To make ludicrous claims like their deceased mother sent a 3rd string athlete to randomly meet them in a mall and buy them shit diminishes the whole thing to me.

Just take it for what it was at face value - a nice person bumped into them and did something nice for them. That's it. There are no dead people magically doing favors for the living by sending backup pro athletes to buy them fancy clothes.

I respect your opinion and I hope you will respect mine. Those of us that are believers believe that little happens that was/is not part of Gods plan. There are other plans - Gods plans are the good ones - not the fault. God has randomly "done shit" for me I cannot explain and certainly do not deserve. I don't know if this was "heavan sent" but like you, I think good things are good....

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect your opinion and I hope you will respect mine. Those of us that are believers believe that little happens that was/is not part of Gods plan. There are other plans - Gods plans are the good ones - not the fault. God has randomly "done shit" for me I cannot explain and certainly do not deserve. I don't know if this was "heavan sent" but like you, I think good things are good....

It's not that I don't "respect" your opinion, it's that it isn't logical. If god is responsible for good things happening in the world, then he is equally responsible for the bad things, whether it be purposefully, or due to negligence. You can't have it both ways. From my perspective, a lot of bad things happen, and it sucks, but it isnt due to the devil or some god not caring or "testing" us - they just happen, and we deal with it. I find that much easier to come to terms with than wondering why some god allows some very horrendous things to go on when he could easily put a stop to all of it.

Same with the good - there is no reason to believe that good things aren't basically circumstantial. When a starving animal finds food, do we say god sent the animal the food? No, because we don't care about animals enough to think that way (even though we too, are animals), as we are self-important, which we can see in our various organized religions that claim humans are the most important things in the universe. It's a very naive way of viewing things, but whatever makes people feel better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta book around here that said something about God, man, and free will. I forget the name of it, but Im sure you have heard of it, no? That kinda leaves out the possibility of "a plan" dont it?

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Gotta book around here that said something about God, man, and free will. I forget the name of it, but Im sure you have heard of it, no? That kinda leaves out the possibility of "a plan" dont it?

I don't get it, was it the Archie's comics?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Naa.. the only one that had free will in that rag was that rich kid, Reggie was it? The 2 girls were nothing but cock teases. Jughead was an unrefined version of Shaggy (Scoobie doobie doo!!) and Archie was a red-headed Charlie Brown...

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. Can't claim there's both a "plan of god" and "free will of man". It's either one or the other.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Naa.. the only one that had free will in that rag was that rich kid, Reggie was it? The 2 girls were nothing but cock teases. Jughead was an unrefined version of Shaggy (Scoobie doobie doo!!) and Archie was a red-headed Charlie Brown...

Moose had plenty of free will...but enough about fiction.
How about that Harvin trade?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Moose had plenty of free will...but enough about fiction.
How about that Harvin trade?

Who? I have been having these headaches that keep me out of practice, but usually gone by sunday. Unless theres something else I want to do... Makes it hard to remember names too. But not how many zeros are on my paycheck ;)

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Can't claim there's both a "plan of god" and "free will of man". It's either one or the other.

This.

LOL@ people who think every little thing that happens in their little life is because "God has a plan" and "everything happens for a reason." I've been going through some shit lately and can't begin to tell you how sick and tired I am of silly people getting all melodramatic and telling me it's all happening for a reason. What's happening is a direct result of decisions that I made, not because God is maneuvering every little event in 7 Billion people's lives. :rollseyes:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

LOL@ people who think every little thing that happens in their little life is because "God has a plan" and "everything happens for a reason." I've been going through some shit lately and can't begin to tell you how sick and tired I am of silly people getting all melodramatic and telling me it's all happening for a reason. What's happening is a direct result of decisions that I made, not because God is maneuvering every little event in 7 Billion people's lives. :rollseyes:

I disagree with you on a lot of things but I can't agree with you more on this one. My shit is my shit and I own it. Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to keep focus.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with you on a lot of things but I can't agree with you more on this one. My shit is my shit and I own it. Sometimes the hardest thing in life is to keep focus.

If "God has a plan" then why should I even get off the couch? It's all "happening for a reason" no matter what I decide to do, so why try? It's all planned out anyway!

Bullshit.

God has given everyone the right to do as they please and in the process shit happens.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The idea that there is an all-powerful deity going through with some "plan" for us humans is absurd, really. I really don't know what to say when someone suggests that their god does shit like sends celebs out to buy someone a special outfit because their mom died, or things like that. I've got news for them, if there were a "loving god" who interfered with any world/individual life events, it wouldn't be to make kids of a dead mother "feel better" by making a rich person give them free shit... no, on the contrary, if this "loving god" interfered with things, those kids' mother would still he going home to them each day.