• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ilya Kovalchuk returning

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Kovalchuk to Leafs conversations started yet?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? This guy is a cancer. Glad he didn't sign in LA when Dumbo was chasing him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings listed a potential destination:

Two things:
1. I know he "retired" but I believe in this case his original contract should be reinstated. The ridiculous one for 17 years/$102 million that the Devils essentially got to walk away from.

They were originally fined $3 million, forfeited a 3rd round pick in 2011 and were to forfeit a 1st round pick sometime between 2012-2015. The NHL had a change of heart when he left for the KHL and removed the 1st round pick penalty.

So you're telling me for all the BS they pulled they simply lost money and a 3rd round pick? And now they get that asset back? If they sign him to a friendly deal and trade him for even a 2nd round pick they will have made out and essentially walked from all of this.

2. The article mentions buying out Gaborik or Brown to create cap space. Gaborik cannot be bought out because he is injured and injured players cannot be bought out per the CBA.

PS - the link won't post, it's at Sportsnet.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing will be a shitshow. On one hand you want NJ to have to honor that ridiculous contract, but on the other, they already got punished with loss of draft picks etc. Plus Lamoriello already jumped ship and isn't even there anymore.

NHL Network was saying that Kovalchuk returning is an asset for NJ or will likely sign and trade him to a contender, or team looking to become one (Blues would immediately come to my mind to be honest, as they have always needed a legit scorer).

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lombardi's misses on a handful of high profile players turned out to be great:
Chris Drury, Kovalchuk, Brad Richards.

Out of all the big fish free agents in recent years, I'd say Hossa for the Hawks is the one that has really paid off. Even if he doesn't finish out the end of that contract, 3 Cups for the Hawks was worth the price of paying Hossa's cap hit into his 40s.