• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ILB Ogletree traded to Giants

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants acquired ILB Alec Ogletree and a 2018 seventh-round pick from the Rams in exchange for 2018 fourth- and sixth-round picks.

The Rams just signed Ogletree to a four-year, $42 million extension in October but evidently didn't like his fit in DC Wade Phillips' 3-4 defense. L.A. was gashed by the run last season, and playing Ogletree and Mark Barron, a pair of converted safeties, at inside linebacker was a big reason for that. Both are extremely athletic, but they were too light and got pushed around by offensive linemen. The Rams recoup the fourth-rounder they sent to K.C. in the Marcus Peters deal with this move and clear a bunch of cash off the books for future long-term deals. Linebacker was a massive need for the Giants.
Related: Rams

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams are trying to do what is best for the team, Ogletree was a great person but you need a better run defense, jettisoning him was the right way to go. If you don't think he was a part of the problem as a player, than you didn't really watch the Rams play.

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the move, but it seems we created more holes on defense....I trust that the FO knows what they are doing but to me hind sight is 20/20 maybe we should have picked a DC that could work with what we had which was a pass rushing front 7.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that he didn't fit well into a 3-4 D and they can use the picks and the cap space but the Rams will miss the Tree.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't surprise me. He played mostly OLB at Georgia and wasn't your typical ILB

Interesting move but "in Wade we trust"

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perfect example to show Ogletree, he is in position to make a tackle and whiffs. Time after time he goes for the big plays and doesn’t wrap, you need a tackle to get off the field on 3rd down not a guy trying to make a play. The one place he will be missed will be the locker room, he is a good guy.

Our run defense was 28th last year, Ogletree was part of the problem not the solution.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This MIGHT have been the Rams first off-season mistake. Plus what they got in return is a bit undersell. We shall see. I think Philips and McVay want to get bigger at LB inside because our run defense WAS so porus. The numbers don't lie but chemistry in pro sports is a fragile thing and sometimes the FO loses sight of that. Stay tuned on this one.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Ebukam is going to be moved inside, his natural college position and Corey Littleton may be the offing for a starting outside LB position. He's earned it. The Rams have a growing interest in Jerrell Freeman and probably will sign him. Moreover, the Rams are probably going to sign Trumaine AND Sammy as they have stated all along. They need more cap space to extend AD like everyone wants. Something had to give and Olgetree was a liability if you look at the above posted vid. Like I stated, this may have been a mistake or it maybe another genius move by McVay and Phillips. We shall see.

Last edited:

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me down for the Ogletree trade being a great move on so many levels - failed in run defense, out of position, in wrong scheme, can't tackle, free up cap space, acquire draft picks, let the linebacker depth show their stuff!

Littleton, Hager, Ecuban, Thompson, the guys on the practice squad like E. Price etc,

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Ebukam is going to be moved inside, his natural college position and Corey Littleton may be the offing for a starting outside LB position. He's earned it. The Rams have a growing interest in Jerrell Freeman and probably will sign him. Moreover, the Rams are probably going to sign Trumaine AND Sammy as they have stated all along. They need more cap space to extend AD like everyone wants. Something had to give and Olgetree was a liability if you look at the above posted vid. Liek I stated, this may have been a mistake or it maybe another genius move by McVay and Phillips. We shall see.
Could be what they are thinking good point Retro...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Ebukam is going to be moved inside, his natural college position and Corey Littleton may be the offing for a starting outside LB position. He's earned it. The Rams have a growing interest in Jerrell Freeman and probably will sign him. Moreover, the Rams are probably going to sign Trumaine AND Sammy as they have stated all along. They need more cap space to extend AD like everyone wants. Something had to give and Olgetree was a liability if you look at the above posted vid. Liek I stated, this may have been a mistake or it maybe another genius move by McVay and Phillips. We shall see.

I believe they do have some confidence in Ebukam, but what if we plan to go after a guy like Avery Williamson from the Titans? The guy is a run stopping machine and only 26 years old... Just a thought since we seem to be clearing tons of cap room :suds:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how any of our backup LB's are worthy of starting....just practice squad fodder. Time to draft some big boys or sign a key LB or 2. I mean seriously the DL is not built to stop the run with only man barely over 300 lbs playing nose tackle in this 3-4. Chemistry wise this may hurt some so it's important to see what they do next for the front 7..

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me down for the Ogletree trade being a great move on so many levels - failed in run defense, out of position, in wrong scheme, can't tackle, free up cap space, acquire draft picks, let the linebacker depth show their stuff!

Littleton, Hager, Ecuban, Thompson, the guys on the practice squad like E. Price etc,
Okay well it looks like they have a plan or they wouldn't have let the Tree go, the cap space and picks are intriguing for sure and Littleton did play well when needed. It appears that the search for a run stopper is on and that is a good thing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This MIGHT have been the Rams first off-season mistake. Plus what they got in retnr is a bit undesell. We shall see. I think Philips and McVay want to get bigger at LB inside because our run defense WAS so porus. The numbers don't lie but chemistry in pro sports is a fragile thing and sometimes the FO loses sight of that. Stay tuned on this one.

Chemistry hit will be tough. Not sure about the undersell part, as it's tough to get teams to take on a $10M cap hit AND get better picks in return. Tree needs to be a pursuit 4-3 OLB IMO, and that position no longer exists with the Rams. This move did surprise me still.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J. Freeman from Chicago is one of the big boys LBs Jermaine elluded to and the Rams are very interested. Expect us to go after an edge rusher, DT, and LB in the draft with an occasional O-lineman like a future LT perhaps. We are pretty much set in our secondary. McVay, Snead, and Phillips are putting together a powerhouse in LA. Kinda of reminds me what Chuck Knox and Vermeil did in their tenures and look out the rest of the league!!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One downside with the Talib trade is concerned with the cap. If you are trying to get as much as possible, signing a guy like Talib with his $11 million salary isn't exactly what a team wants to do in contributing to the aforementioned cap strategy. I suppose his experience and talent level overrides those considerations especially if Phillips is pushing the buttons.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Talib has a former teammate already on the Rams who won SB 50 with Talib. That being the corner Kayvon Webster. Speculation from teammates suggest we picked-up Talib to shut down Garoppolo. Maybe that last game of the season got some coaches attention.

NFL players react to Broncos trading Aqib Talib to Rams