• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ifedi moving to RT

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot%20-%204_1_2017%20%208_37_22%20AM.png

I thought the Seahawks would make this change. Think this was the plan when they drafted him. Although I'm for continuity, I also think you got to first have players in right spot, we saw how moving Britt to center worked out. Hopefully this works out as well. Just so much easier to find a guard then a tackle in the draft ( or from a young player on the roster ).

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking our line will be improved this year. Heck, it can't get much worse but these pieces have a good chance to work out.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard of PC the other day, it also sounds like they signed Joeckel with the intent of competing him at LT. Fant doesn't seem like a guard, so with Ifedi moving to RT (most likely) then I wonder if things are setting up for Odhiambo to get a look at RG and/or grabbing a guard in the draft. Shuffling the line could once again make for a few bumps early in the season but if things go well with Lacy then that plus a healthy RW could mask that like the "old days" until they come together.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this will be interesting. Ifedi was one of the worst rookies in terms of value according to PFF last year, but he really didn't come into much if any of a supporting cast. He also missed all the early off season camp and the first few games, so that REALLY hurt his progression I feel. PC/TC stated the plan was to start at RG and then shift to RT... I just wonder if it's premature.

Anyway, we'll see... hopefully Joeckel is a diamond in the rough this offseason and pans out. If the plan is to start Joeckel at LT and Ifedi at RT than I don't see Seattle taking a tackle in the first. Instead I see someone in the secondary going first in a RIDICULOUSLY strong draft for CB/S.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust them to know what they're doing, but I personally would have been fine with keeping Ifedi at guard. Moving him to tackle would seem to go against the stated goal of continuity on the offensive line. This just comes across as more shuffling. I'm hoping that, if they do this, this is the position he plays for the rest of his career. I'd rather they didn't put him in a new spot every year hoping he takes to one of them at some point. That strategy seems to have worked with Britt, but moving guys around so much just makes Cable's job that much harder.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust them to know what they're doing, but I personally would have been fine with keeping Ifedi at guard. Moving him to tackle would seem to go against the stated goal of continuity on the offensive line. This just comes across as more shuffling. I'm hoping that, if they do this, this is the position he plays for the rest of his career. I'd rather they didn't put him in a new spot every year hoping he takes to one of them at some point. That strategy seems to have worked with Britt, but moving guys around so much just makes Cable's job that much harder.

Well, this was always the plan. He played right tackle in college his final year, so that's probably what he was most familiar with, but he played guard his first year... so I dunno. He did get bossed around pretty hard at right guard though, so I don't know how it's going to translate to right tackle. Most experts/scouts thought he was better suited as a guard and some teams may eventually try him at right tackle.

I agree with the shuffling, it's somewhat annoying but like you said at least they finally found it with Britt.

How all 31 first-round picks have played | PFF

Perhaps they are already giving up on his right guard position and like Britt this is another desperation move? I know PFF isn't the MESSIAH of how well NFL players perform, but they at least try to give a good look into offensive lineman.

I watched nearly every Seahawks game and while I saw flashes I certainly wasn't impressed with his play. But he was raw when we drafted him and missed offseason and first few games due to injury, so maybe it'll click with a full offseason.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm....not sure what to think about this. I don't have a lot of confidence in Joeckel due to injury issues and the bad fortune Seattle has had picking up FA O-linemen lately. In fact I'd go as far to say that I'm not expecting Joeckel to be on the field at all week 1. I'm predicting he gets cut or hurt.

Moving Ifedi over to tackle after the interior line was the strength last season is interesting. I guess I didn't think Ifedi played as poorly there as some did but the numbers seem to back up the fact that he was actually pretty bad. Problem is, when Odhiambo came in for him during the Falcons game he looked way worse (drive killing sack given up followed by a play where he stepped on Wilson's leg, causing a safety). I'm not sure Ifedi would have gone back into that one if his replacement hadn't been so bad.

So basically they're moving a guy over to tackle who didn't play well at guard and the current replacement played even worse. Not sure if this move is being made due to big concerns about tackle play or because they wanted Ifedi at tackle the whole time. Or as some have mentioned it could be a Britt situation where they just don't think Ifedi can play tackle at all so they're moving him around. Worked with Britt I guess but it took 2 years to find the right position.

I'd agree with those who said this likely means no OT picks in the early rounds and likely more picks towards OG and Secondary.

Probably going to be a bit of a mess on the O-line during the early season again. Hopefully they find their best group early.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to make a prediction for the starting line week 1 I'd go:

Fant Glowinski Britt Odhiambo/Draft Pick Ifedi

Not ideal right now but they have an offseason to figure some stuff out.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably going to be a bit of a mess on the O-line during the early season again. Hopefully they find their best group early.
It could be, certainly. But at least it seems this shift is happening at a greater distance from meaningful games than when they moved Britt to C and Gilliam back to RT.

If I had to make a prediction for the starting line week 1 I'd go:

Fant Glowinski Britt Odhiambo/Draft Pick Ifedi

Not ideal right now but they have an offseason to figure some stuff out.
So you don't think Joeckel will even start?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be, certainly. But at least it seems this shift is happening at a greater distance from meaningful games than when they moved Britt to C and Gilliam back to RT.

So you don't think Joeckel will even start?

If healthy, Joeckel will be lights years ahead of Fant, who I think did as well as could be expected based upon his history at LT.
Assuming Ifedi slides to RT, there will be some competition at RG Aboushi, Rees O, and a draft pick.
I can envision Joeckel, Glow, JB, next man up, Ifedi.
While not a great OL, can they become middle of the pack?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If healthy, Joeckel will be lights years ahead of Fant, who I think did as well as could be expected based upon his history at LT.
Assuming Ifedi slides to RT, there will be some competition at RG Aboushi, Rees O, and a draft pick.
I can envision Joeckel, Glow, JB, next man up, Ifedi.
While not a great OL, can they become middle of the pack?

Only time will tell, but I like the chances a lot better then I did last year. While it's true the shuttling continues, it's no where like last year. Font at LT with no experience to speak of at football, rookie LG, a center with his first go at playing the position, RG with one game experience and mish mush at RT. They say that OL make the biggest jump in their second year of playing on the OL, which bodes well if true.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think starting Joeckel at LT, if that is the plan, is a bad idea. He was terrible at left tackle in Jacksonville. Basically, he was a turnstile when at LT. He played pretty well once he moved to guard. I was hoping the Cards would take a look at Joeckel in free agency to play RG. But the price was too high.

Whatever the move, spending money on the O-line was a must for the Seahawks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think starting Joeckel at LT, if that is the plan, is a bad idea. He was terrible at left tackle in Jacksonville. Basically, he was a turnstile when at LT. He played pretty well once he moved to guard. I was hoping the Cards would take a look at Joeckel in free agency to play RG. But the price was too high.

Yes his pass blocking was really bad, but he was decent at run blocking. I figure Joeckel has the physical abilities or he won't of been the second over all pick the year he entered the NFL, think injuries have hurt his progression at LT. The hope is that he's still young enough to learn, unlike the FAs the Seahawks signed last off season on the OL who had no chance of being much of any thing. If LG turns out to be a better fit for Joeckel, well that can help also.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bringing in a vet for the OL was imperative. The $$ is not something I'm as fixated on. It's mentioned quite a bit how little (money) the Hawks have invested in the OL, but their investment has been draft picks -- Okung, Britt, Ifedi, Odhiambo, Moffitt, Carpenter all 1st-3rd rounders. The problem has been getting them to a 2nd contract. You also have Sweezy & Giacomini who left for bigger money elsewhere. The mobility of RW combined with the HOF caliber running of Lynch masked the OL issues that have really always been there, but of course this past season with RW and pretty much all the RBs banged up, it was a disaster. Even without Lynch in 2015, the offense was better than ever with Rawls back there because Russell was playing at a level rarely ever seen before.

The moves the FO has made this off-season seem to indicate they're trying to get back to having that power running attack. I guess we'll see if Lacy can regain his form and if this line can keep RW from getting beaten up.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good breakdown of LJ's abilities.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the above video in mind, let's watch Fant and I think it is easy to see an upgrade at LT if that happens to be the plan with LJ.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good breakdown of LJ's abilities.
I just watched the first 90 seconds, and he got pushed back into the QB quite a bit.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the first 90 seconds, and he got pushed back into the QB quite a bit.
As the video opens, it focuses on his weak points. Feel free to watch both vids to get a feel for the direction of our OL.