• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you're going to recruit in Texas....

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie strong hit the same struggles Jimbo is having by not kissing the ring of the Texas high school coaches. Matt Rhule at Baylor was smart, hired a Texas high school Coach right away to navigate the waters.

I saw on Rivals that Fisher hasn't gotten a commitment in the year 2018.

2 kids committed shortly after he was hired but that was it.

TAM is currently at 50 in Rivals. They only top Arkansas in SEC recruiting.

Fisher is very hard-headed but I thought he would be doing better recruiting.

Is that what his problem is?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Partly.......but his staff is the geezer squad, and most don't have in state ties of any kind.

That and OU/Texas/TCU all have better recruiters and are currently cleaning up instate. His 2019 class will be a lot better than this, but they are paying over 100 million in coach salaries and have the single worst transition class in the nation.

That's just not going to cut it. I don't think he's as great a recruiter as people claim he is. He should have landed or kept at least ONE key player, or pulled SOMEBODY from Florida.

He's going to take some lumps learning how to recruit this state when his program isn't seen as the best or legacy program. At the end of the day A&M is still little brother. Texas will always be the top choice, especially if Herman starts winning. They won a bowl game, and just like that, Herman took damn near the entire top 20 prospects in state.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know Jimbo is a closer right?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimbo is doing pretty decent in TX. :lol: Not 1 recruit from Florida going to college station though.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's he closing on? He ain't working in Florida any more.

Rivals has A&M at 50. 247 at 35.

This is what you can expect from Jimbo outside the state of FL.

AggieYell.com

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem is he doesn't have the FSU and the state of Florida pipeline that was built with Bowden. And it's still there Jimbo. :lol:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO, he's not. Per his current class.

He's likely to land either guys he should have had locked in months ago or guys that can't get into any other class because they're out of room.

He MIGHT win one legitimate H2H recruiting battle. He hasn't closed out on anyone or anything in this cycle. You can't spin that, it's reality. He inherited a class ranked 11. That class is closer to 40 now. Literally EVERY other transition class out there is better.......nearly every new coach brought kids in from their previous location, Jimbo hasn't even gotten a visit from any previous recruits. That's just not good.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if it is a law/requirement but when i was in HS the FB coach was also Weight Lifting, Team Sports, and a few other PE related class teacher. Wrestling coach was a history teacher. Swim coach was attendance administrator. I honestly dont remember the others but pretty sure all the coaches were employed by the school in some official way aside from coaching

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Partly.......but his staff is the geezer squad, and most don't have in state ties of any kind.

That and OU/Texas/TCU all have better recruiters and are currently cleaning up instate. His 2019 class will be a lot better than this, but they are paying over 100 million in coach salaries and have the single worst transition class in the nation.

That's just not going to cut it. I don't think he's as great a recruiter as people claim he is. He should have landed or kept at least ONE key player, or pulled SOMEBODY from Florida.

He's going to take some lumps learning how to recruit this state when his program isn't seen as the best or legacy program. At the end of the day A&M is still little brother. Texas will always be the top choice, especially if Herman starts winning. They won a bowl game, and just like that, Herman took damn near the entire top 20 prospects in state.

Problem is he doesn't have the FSU and the state of Florida pipeline that was built with Bowden. And it's still there Jimbo. :lol:

You're 100% correct there. FSU made Fisher...he didn't make us.

Hell, Fisher and company stopped recruiting at Halloween and Willie didn't even get started
until after Christmas and we've been on a role the last 2 weeks. Getting a 5 and 4 more 4's.
We had kids decommit from us 5 or 6, but the bulk were 3 stars. Since then, Willie has landed
plenty of help including two that he has flipped, not counting any from Oregon.

For AM though, I'd wonder because Fisher ain't a great coach. Not x's and o's. He's a paint-by-the-number
coach. He must surround himself with talent to be successful. He can't really afford to have a bad
year in recruiting.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're 100% correct there. FSU made Fisher...he didn't make us.

Hell, Fisher and company stopped recruiting at Halloween and Willie didn't even get started
until after Christmas and we've been on a role the last 2 weeks. Getting a 5 and 4 more 4's.
We had kids decommit from us 5 or 6, but the bulk were 3 stars. Since then, Willie has landed
plenty of help including two that he has flipped, not counting any from Oregon.

For AM though, I'd wonder because Fisher ain't a great coach. Not x's and o's. He's a paint-by-the-number
coach. He must surround himself with talent to be successful. He can't really afford to have a bad
year in recruiting.

This class is abysmal

No QBs......DBs......no LBs.......barely any DL

this class, or the lack thereof, is going to hurt them for years.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This class is abysmal

No QBs......DBs......no LBs.......barely any DL

this class, or the lack thereof, is going to hurt them for years.

It probably will. He's got a bunch returning on Offense for next year, if nobody
left for the NFL early. (I don't know that). They've been cleaned out on the
defensive side. They lose 4 of their 5 starting db's and 2 DL.

I would wager that many of their fans have gone from excited to questioning the wisdom
of the AD. Especially the 7.5 million part.

You know that money will really turn into an anvil on his back. The more fans gripe the
more it creates a negative environment for recruiting. He loses 4 or5 a year, if not more
over the first couple of years, he may struggle his entire time there.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably will. He's got a bunch returning on Offense for next year, if nobody
left for the NFL early. (I don't know that). They've been cleaned out on the
defensive side. They lose 4 of their 5 starting db's and 2 DL.

I would wager that many of their fans have gone from excited to questioning the wisdom
of the AD. Especially the 7.5 million part.

You know that money will really turn into an anvil on his back. The more fans gripe the
more it creates a negative environment for recruiting. He loses 4 or5 a year, if not more
over the first couple of years, he may struggle his entire time there.

They are paying over 100 million in coaching salaries and are pulling in the worst transition class I have ever seen. They lose their best WR on offense, they don't have a QB, and the defense is ATROCIOUS. No LBs, no DBs worth a damn, and a decent DL.......they are going to lose a LOT of games next year, might not make a bowl.

I feel bad for those assistants. They'll lose games, and there's no guarantee they will haul in some great class next year........so guess who will get thrown under the bus? That STAFF. Fisher is the 75 million man, hes safe for a few years, but not those assistants - which is probably why all of them are roughly getting paid double what they should

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are paying over 100 million in coaching salaries and are pulling in the worst transition class I have ever seen. They lose their best WR on offense, they don't have a QB, and the defense is ATROCIOUS. No LBs, no DBs worth a damn, and a decent DL.......they are going to lose a LOT of games next year, might not make a bowl.

I feel bad for those assistants. They'll lose games, and there's no guarantee they will haul in some great class next year........so guess who will get thrown under the bus? That STAFF. Fisher is the 75 million man, hes safe for a few years, but not those assistants - which is probably why all of them are roughly getting paid double what they should

Interesting stuff.

There really isn't anything written about Fisher here in Central Florida, so you can never
really know what's going on somewhere else.

He was in Bowden's shadow and was complicit in the ousting of Bobby, so he never
was fully embraced by half the FSU fans and 3/4's of the FSU money folks.

The monetary support remained (most of it) because of the school and not Fisher.

BUT, all FSU fans gave him credit as a good/great recruiter. (Course Bobby was also).
Most knew his offense was powered by elite players, not by a guru making 2-star
players look like heroes. He played everything by the book. Everybody can remember
the only daring thing he ever did which was calling for the fake punt vs Auburn in the
2013 NC game. That was it for trickery. And even that was overshadowed by the fact
of how bad he was being outcoached in that game. And not just by Malzahn, but by Fisher
himself. Our former QB coach (D Craig) had returned to Auburn that season and Fisher
never changed our offensive signals from the sidelines.

Auburn defensive players knew what we were going to do, at the same time that our offensive
players knew. They were waiting for us.

We just had some much talent we were able to overcome another Fisher snafu.

That ballclub under normal conditions should have beaten Auburn by 3 scores.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stuff.

There really isn't anything written about Fisher here in Central Florida, so you can never
really know what's going on somewhere else.

He was in Bowden's shadow and was complicit in the ousting of Bobby, so he never
was fully embraced by half the FSU fans and 3/4's of the FSU money folks.

The monetary support remained (most of it) because of the school and not Fisher.

BUT, all FSU fans gave him credit as a good/great recruiter. (Course Bobby was also).
Most knew his offense was powered by elite players, not by a guru making 2-star
players look like heroes. He played everything by the book. Everybody can remember
the only daring thing he ever did which was calling for the fake punt vs Auburn in the
2013 NC game. That was it for trickery. And even that was overshadowed by the fact
of how bad he was being outcoached in that game. And not just by Malzahn, but by Fisher
himself. Our former QB coach (D Craig) had returned to Auburn that season and Fisher
never changed our offensive signals from the sidelines.

Auburn defensive players knew what we were going to do, at the same time that our offensive
players knew. They were waiting for us.

We just had some much talent we were able to overcome another Fisher snafu.

That ballclub under normal conditions should have beaten Auburn by 3 scores.

Aggy is CONVINCED Fisher is the greatest recruiter that's ever lived, and has assembled the greatest recruiting staff of all time.

Look at this very thread......"Fisher is a closer" - they lead for like one of the targets they are after that's left.......they are battling for SCRAPS. They are closing this class just to hopefully get into the top 30, maybe 20 IF they land all of the targets. My money is on them getting one or two of the eight or so they want.

They really think they're going to clean up in 2019. Texas isn't going away on the recruiting trail. Neither is OU. Or TCU. Hell, and now thanks to them, Bama. They'll get a decent class......but the fans think they're going to haul in a top 3 class, and I doubt it's higher than top 15

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I spent my entire career in Texas, I need to ask you guys from other states a question because of this statement in the article.

"In public schools, the vast majority of our coaches are professional educators," THSCA executive director D.W. Rutledge said. "They have to have a teaching degree. The coaching staff works at the school, so they're around the kids every day ... and in most states that's not the case."

My question is, what licensure/certification, etc does a person have to have in order to coach at the junior high/high school level in other states?
I don't think Michigan requires anything to coach HS sports, but I think the majority of the time a lot of the time they are also teachers. I think they have to go through some course with the state to coach any sport, but that's more along the lines of making sure they know the rules ect.