• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Your Last Name is Fielder, You Will Hit 319 ML HRs

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Prince Fielder's major league career is truly over, he and his dad will both have career totals of 319 HRs.
I'd assume they have to be the only father-son combo who both had 50 HR seasons....
Question is, are they speaking to each other now? Last I heard, Prince wanted nothing to do with his dad.
One truly hilarious little nugget is that Cecil Fielder is listed as 230lbs on BBRef...did they weigh him when he was 13 years old? At least it is a little more honest with Prince at 275lbs...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Prince Fielder's major league career is truly over, he and his dad will both have career totals of 319 HRs.
I'd assume they have to be the only father-son combo who both had 50 HR seasons....
Question is, are they speaking to each other now? Last I heard, Prince wanted nothing to do with his dad.
One truly hilarious little nugget is that Cecil Fielder is listed as 230lbs on BBRef...did they weigh him when he was 13 years old? At least it is a little more honest with Prince at 275lbs...

i remember cecil as a blue jay.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i remember cecil as a blue jay.
The Jays had a hard time figuring out what to do with Big Daddy and the Crime Dog (Fred McGriff) on the same team...Cecil had a huge impact during his short time in Japan and then rocked the AL when he came back with the Tigers.
A buddy of mine met him in an airport during his playing days and said he didn't look fat, just huge and strong...Cecil sure didn't look good in a baseball uniform.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jays had a hard time figuring out what to do with Big Daddy and the Crime Dog (Fred McGriff) on the same team...Cecil had a huge impact during his short time in Japan and then rocked the AL when he came back with the Tigers.
A buddy of mine met him in an airport during his playing days and said he didn't look fat, just huge and strong...Cecil sure didn't look good in a baseball uniform.
that 51 HR season was awesome. he was the talk of sports, like hulls 86 goals the same year. fun to watch them both try to break records.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that 51 HR season was awesome. he was the talk of sports, like hulls 86 goals the same year. fun to watch them both try to break records.
I remember some great footage of Sparky Anderson's reactions to Fielder's bombs...a combination of wonder and WTF??!?!?

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was kind of the opposite of the Bob Horner story...Bob established himself as a good ML hitter, went to Japan for a brief time due to collusion in the US and did some incredible things, and then came back to the US to suck it up for the Cards. Whitey Herzog pretty much threw a fit when he found out that Horner had been signed over his strong objections.

Cecil had a hard time establishing himself in the majors due to McGriff and the Jays either being kind of clueless or concerned about his ability to keep his weight down, went to Japan to do some big things for the Hanshin Tigers, and then came back to the US to show about as much power for the (Detroit) Tigers as he had overseas.
I think people were shocked that Fielder homered almost as often per game in the US as he had in Japan and there was some soul searching among people who felt that Japanese baseball was something like AAA in the US and probably not even that good. And lots of Fielder's epic bombs made the highlight shows!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Fielder acknowledges a weight of 261, leaving unanswered the question of what he might weigh if he put his other foot on the scale."

- Bill James