• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If You Traded Garapolo

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much stuff flying back and forth, with some people saying "sources" and others saying "reports from" and other saying what they 'think' but don't preface it with "in my opinion" . It's getting very hard to determine what's fact, fiction or daydreams. Here in the NE area, guys like Mike Reiss used to be extremely reliable, but since he lest the Globe and went with ESPN, his sources have shrunk and he's missed on more than one occasion.
Tom E. Curran is probably the most trusted and reliable but he won't go with anything unless he's absolutely 100% positive it's true. That can make him a bit late reporting but when he says it, it's true. I haven't6 seen or heard from him this morning......late night.

As far as the $10M cap hit for OZ, I heard that twice yesterday. Once on ESPN Sportscenter and the other on CSNNE Early Edition. I don't know how that came about, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe the Texans are picking up $6M of this year's hit? I honestly don't know but I did hear it from two different places.

One final note......Last night Jimmy Garapollo tweeted a good bye to Boston. Everyone picked up on it and all of the sports news outlets were going crazy trying to follow up. JG delete the tweet this morning. Don't know if he had one too many last night and started joking or he set his phone down and took a pee and someone tweeted it, or if it was a joke. It's gone..........you wonder if BB may have had a little 'talk' with JG.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 NFL Draft rumors: Browns will “put together a strong package” for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo

The Browns have acquired draft picks. The Patriots might be trading their back-up quarterback.
by Rich Hill@PP_Rich_Hill Mar 9, 2017

The New England Patriots asking price for back-up QB Jimmy Garoppolo has increased on a monthly basis, moving from a first-and-fourth, to a first-and-second, and now to a pair of first round picks.

The high asking price has forced the Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers to fold, as evidenced by their signings of QB Mike Glennon and QB Brian Hoyer, respectively. The Cleveland Browns, however, are about to go all in, per Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot.

“The Browns have the ammunition to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo and will try to put together a strong package that the Patriots will accept,” Cabot writes. “The Browns have two first-round picks and two second-rounders this year, and now three second-round picks in 2018. The Browns will likely be willing to part with their No. 12 overall pick this year for Garoppolo, and at least one of the second-round picks next year.”

The Browns just acquired a 2018 second round pick from the Houston Texans in exchange for eating the contract of QB Brock Osweiler. Cleveland has been stocking up on draft picks in addition to their own first and second round picks in the 2017 and 2018 NFL Drafts. They also own the Philadelphia Eagles first round pick in 2017 and second round pick in 2018, along with the Tennessee Titans second round pick in 2017 and the Texans second round pick in 2018.

That’s a ton of draft capital.

While the Patriots want a pair of first round picks, the Browns are reluctant to part with such valuable capital. Instead, they’re interested in packaging their latter first round pick in 2017 (12th overall) with one or two of their second round picks in 2018.

Per the draft value chart, a pair of average second round picks is roughly equivalent to the 20th overall pick in the draft. The Patriots would probably like the Browns to send the best two of their second round picks to avoid the risk of having to guess how teams will play in 2017.

Cabot notes that the Patriots want the 1st overall pick because “there are some top five players they want, whereas the No. 12 doesn’t interest them as much,” which frankly sounds ridiculous. It’s like the Patriots aren’t even pretending to be unsure. We only want a top five player, Bill Belichick is saying. We aren’t interested in the six-through-twelve ranked players.

Yeah, okay.

But the negotiation tactic worked and the Browns are scurrying around to meet the demands of the Patriots. Let’s see if the Patriots will actually ship Garoppolo to Cleveland for an incredibly handsome price.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the $10M cap hit for OZ, I heard that twice yesterday. Once on ESPN Sportscenter and the other on CSNNE Early Edition. I don't know how that came about, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe the Texans are picking up $6M of this year's hit? I honestly don't know but I did hear it from two different places.
Well again, the only way for the Texans to have picked up any of the $ would've been to convert salary to bonus...they're already eating $9M in dead money on this year's cap by trading him, and they gave Cleveland the 2nd rounder for them to eat the other 16, there's no way they were doing that and taking part of the 16, as well. Not to mention as before that Oz would've had to agree to a restructured deal before the trade could've taken place so he could've easily said FU I'm not going to Cleveland and scuttled the whole thing.

I'd say ESPN and CSNNE gave you bad info.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Adam Shefter was wobbling last night. He doesn't know anything more than you or I know right now. If BB turned down 4 first rounders for JG, he'd have to move in with Roger Goodell.

I'm not believing ANYTHING until it's done.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was listening to WBZ (98.5 FM The Sports Hub) this morning and they were discussing the Patriots and if they would keep JG for another 3 years. Jeff Howe was the guest and he said that Cleveland is gearing up for a real push to get JG. They just don't want to trust that a rookie QB, even a great college performer, will be able to step in and take over the Browns. He didn't get into specifics but the indication is that the Browns will offer the #12, #33 and possibly #52 or two third round picks.

Howe thinks that this offer will be the one that gets the talks moving toward JG being a Brown in 2017. Here's his reasoning. Tom Brady played in 2016 at 39 years old and in all honesty, didn't even give the slightest indication that he was 29 years old. Brady says he will play for at least 3 more years and plans to play for 5. Considering his physical condition, diet and dedication to good health, there doesn't appear to be any reason to doubt that he just might still be playing and playing well at 42 or 43......barring significant injury. Keeping JG will cost the Patriots near $50M for two quarterbacks in 2018. Doesn't make sense to tie up nearly 30% of a team cap with a player who will be standing on the sideline for an entire year.

If the Browns are serious and things seem to point in that direction, the Patriots will listen.

It just amazes me where this could all end up..................

JG = #12, #33, #52
MB = #11, #42 or #64

How many 2017 and 2018 picks could Belichick flip those in too???

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many? There's a point it doesn't matter. There aren't many roster spots available and too many players, good or not, without experience will degrade the rest of the teams ability to play well. Players who can execute schemes is as important as the abilty of an individual player.

Trade Garoppolo and keep Butler would be a good balance.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many? There's a point it doesn't matter. There aren't many roster spots available and too many players, good or not, without experience will degrade the rest of the teams ability to play well. Players who can execute schemes is as important as the abilty of an individual player.

Trade Garoppolo and keep Butler would be a good balance

Or the other way around?????

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Butler translates into on the field production. Keeping Garoppolo does not.... As pointed out by many, keeping Garoppolo will have a steep price attached over a three year period.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add more fuel to the fire, I heard Tony Grossi, a Cleveland sports reporter who has been the leading proponent for a Garoppolo trade, reporting from the owners' meeting. When asked about the chances a trade will still happen, he gave it about a 1% possibility. Another thing he said was interesting. It is, however, purely in the realm of "what if". Rossi said what if Brady told the Patriots that he wanted to take a strong run at one more Super Bowl in 2018 and then retire. If this was true, then recent developments make more sense. BB has said, basically, that Garoppolo "is not for sale". Also, breaking with his past actions during free agency, BB has signed several key veterans for big buck deals. If TB was indeed planning to step down after next season, loading up the roster and keeping JG would certainly help in making his last season successful. As I say, just a "what if" but interesting.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add more fuel to the fire, I heard Tony Grossi, a Cleveland sports reporter who has been the leading proponent for a Garoppolo trade, reporting from the owners' meeting. When asked about the chances a trade will still happen, he gave it about a 1% possibility. Another thing he said was interesting. It is, however, purely in the realm of "what if". Rossi said what if Brady told the Patriots that he wanted to take a strong run at one more Super Bowl in 2018 and then retire. If this was true, then recent developments make more sense. BB has said, basically, that Garoppolo "is not for sale". Also, breaking with his past actions during free agency, BB has signed several key veterans for big buck deals. If TB was indeed planning to step down after next season, loading up the roster and keeping JG would certainly help in making his last season successful. As I say, just a "what if" but interesting.

I tend to agree that this might be his last yr. Not sold on the fact BB is putting together a team to win the SB for Brady this yr. Gillmore is signed for 5, Cooks has 2 yr left. Ealy is prob better than anyone they were going to get at the end of RD2. Burkhead is Boldens replacement. Allen is here for another 4 yrs. So as much as this team looks great now, the future looks just as good with whoever is at QB. Plus, they still have a shit ton of cap space. They could literally sign Butler to the deal Gillmore got and still have about 20mil in cap space. I think Jimmy stays and he knows what is going on. No way TB plays for 7 more yrs. He wife wanted him to retire this yr, his mother is sick and his kids are getting older.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last rumors I heard from Hue Jackson was they WON'T give up #1. So I think it really matters on what BB would actually take for JG. Go all in BB make this trade. I trust in Brissett.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Breer was on Sports Sunday with Michael Felger yesterday and he thinks that if the Browns don't have a Quarterback signed by the draft, the trade for Garrapolo will happen just before the 12th pick. He thinks that the Browns will be under such pressure internally, that they will give the Pats the #12, 33, 52. Possibly more. He doesn't believe that there is any college QB who is ready to play in the NFL right now and JG is the Browns best bet for success.

Then there are about 25 other NFL experts who don't think that the Patriots will trade him.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Albert Breer was on Sports Sunday with Michael Felger yesterday and he thinks that if the Browns don't have a Quarterback signed by the draft, the trade for Garrapolo will happen just before the 12th pick. He thinks that the Browns will be under such pressure internally, that they will give the Pats the #12, 33, 52. Possibly more. He doesn't believe that there is any college QB who is ready to play in the NFL right now and JG is the Browns best bet for success.

Then there are about 25 other NFL experts who don't think that the Patriots will trade him.
The heck with what those other 25 say. If they give up the four picks you mentioned I will help Jimmy G pack.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The heck with what those other 25 say. If they give up the four picks you mentioned I will help Jimmy G pack.

Hell with that, I'll drive him to the airport and buy him a new suit.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think this also. Desperate teams make desperate moves when back against the wall. I mean who would Clev sign? They have Oz so maybe they say fuck it and role with him.

Now you are seeing reports that NE has worked out this kid from Pitt who many think is the type of QB who can step in and play. Also NE has worked out all these DE that will be long gone before the 3rd rd, then again no one thought Brown would last to NE that yr. IDK, only a few more weeks. But.....April 21st is the big one now, that is when MB has to sign his tender.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am starting to think this also. Desperate teams make desperate moves when back against the wall. I mean who would Clev sign? They have Oz so maybe they say fuck it and role with him.

Now you are seeing reports that NE has worked out this kid from Pitt who many think is the type of QB who can step in and play. Also NE has worked out all these DE that will be long gone before the 3rd rd, then again no one thought Brown would last to NE that yr. IDK, only a few more weeks. But.....April 21st is the big one now, that is when MB has to sign his tender.

The only thing I will say though is this is a different Cleveland Browns run team over the last couple of years. They didn't like the top QB's this past season so they traded out of the top spot to get more picks and add some much needed depth to the entire roster. They haven't went out and just gone crazy money wise buying up every top FA on the market and instead extended a couple of their good players and did well to build up their OL.

When the top WR for this past season demanded top dollar they said "good luck" and watched him walk out the door. I have actually been impressed with Cleveland and how they have conducted themselves. Just have to see how well it translates to wins now.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I will say though is this is a different Cleveland Browns run team over the last couple of years. They didn't like the top QB's this past season so they traded out of the top spot to get more picks and add some much needed depth to the entire roster. They haven't went out and just gone crazy money wise buying up every top FA on the market and instead extended a couple of their good players and did well to build up their OL.

When the top WR for this past season demanded top dollar they said "good luck" and watched him walk out the door. I have actually been impressed with Cleveland and how they have conducted themselves. Just have to see how well it translates to wins now.

I agree, but now there are reports the Clev might take Mitch T #1 and not Garrett, so are we back to the same old Browns? Not sure that is the right move. You might be able to get Mitch at #12, and is this kid a Manning, Luck type QB that you can take at #1, or is Clev getting desperate? So again does Clev get desperate and offer #12 to NE for Jimmy? I really don't think #12 has been even offered to NE in any types of talk. I am pretty sure BB has listened to Clev, like he should. IDK. I think it would be hard for BB to pass up on #12 because he could turn that into about 3 more picks in this draft and possible another 1st rd pick next.