• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you don't want Bradford, then who do you want?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not aware of a QB coming available who's better. He put up a decent year in the end. It was his first year back from knee surgery that takes guys 2 years to get back to there peak. I don't think this last year was his best football, he has that in front of him. Good teams spend over 15 million on a QB. The money is there to do it. So if you could have anyone coming available who is it?

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well draft a QB now that we are going with a new head coach. I have no interest in another season of Bradford. Accept it was a monumental mistake giving up a 2nd round pick for him and move on with a clean slate. Bring in Gase or whoever and let him work with a young QB like my choice would be Connor Cook. Allow him to learn behind Sanchez for half the year then allow him to take over the starting position.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well draft a QB now that we are going with a new head coach. I have no interest in another season of Bradford. Accept it was a monumental mistake giving up a 2nd round pick for him and move on with a clean slate. Bring in Gase or whoever and let him work with a young QB like my choice would be Connor Cook. Allow him to learn behind Sanchez for half the year then allow him to take over the starting position.

Why not keep Bradford, and draft a QB to develop? There is nothing special in this draft and there is no realistic alternative available for Bradford in free agency. Odds are that whatever comes out of this year's draft is not even mediocre, or at best Bradford's level.

Funny how everybody yelled at Kelly of replacing Eagles players with worse alternative... and are so easily willing to do the same with the position that has been the biggest disaster since McNabb left, with arguably the best player in the position since McNabb.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise Tag. I need to see another year and better play before I cripple my cap for the near future by signing him long term. I get that he improved as the year went on ... which is why I would even tag him, but I wouldn't get carried away. He's still immobile, still can't bootleg out or throw on the run very well ... can he be a Super Bowl QB? I don't know ... that's why the Franchise tag is a no brainer.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford is the number one reason I don't like the Kelly firing. It was a reasonable idea with a good chance of working that Year 2 in the same place, same system, same coaching staff that you could see Bradford make the same sort of leap forward that we have seen from guys like Carson Palmer. Now it really makes little sense to keep Bradford or for Bradford to want to stay.

Your basically starting over now, so you may as well go the draft route and take the next two to three years to develop a rookie QB. Then you look at the draft prospects and its not exactly a stellar year. With the Eagles drafting outside the top ten, it doesn't look like they can expect anything other than a guy with some potential. Its really a horrible situation, but if your a first year coach, you push for the rookie and figure that you have at least three years to make it work.

Meanwhile, as fans we can expect a couple of losing seasons.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise Tag. I need to see another year and better play before I cripple my cap for the near future by signing him long term. I get that he improved as the year went on ... which is why I would even tag him, but I wouldn't get carried away. He's still immobile, still can't bootleg out or throw on the run very well ... can he be a Super Bowl QB? I don't know ... that's why the Franchise tag is a no brainer.

With the tag, your overpaying by at least $5M over his market value. And do you really want the leader of the team to be here on a one year deal and not want to be here? It's a poor choice to spend north of $20M on a rental that is doing nothing but keep the seat warm until a rookie is ready.

And I really don't know if you would see that improvement in year two as him and the rest of the offense will be learning a new offense that presumably is not as QB friendly as the one he was in. Say what you will about Chip, but every QB he started put up better numbers here than they have anywhere else.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Bradford isn't worth Franchise type money ... but there's very little else out there for options and it's a weak draft. Do we really want to trot Sanchize out there again?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not aware of a QB coming available who's better. He put up a decent year in the end. It was his first year back from knee surgery that takes guys 2 years to get back to there peak. I don't think this last year was his best football, he has that in front of him. Good teams spend over 15 million on a QB. The money is there to do it. So if you could have anyone coming available who is it?
Sam Bradford and get rid of Sanchez, draft a QB. Pick up a cheaper option as our backup QB.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Bradford isn't worth Franchise type money ... but there's very little else out there for options and it's a weak draft. Do we really want to trot Sanchize out there again?

Its the path that Lurie chose that IMO makes the draft a rookie and develop him the most likely next step... with a three year incubation period and no guarantee of success. Why spend any significant money on Bradford that most likely will get you little more than continued mediocrity? At least with the rookie there is some hope, a couple more high draft picks, and I can look forward to tuning back in in three years.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget that Bradford is a Free Agent and now has very little reason to come back. If I am Bradford, I am looking for a team that wants him there long term...not as a gap filler for a rookie draft pick. And I think Bradford has a good chance of finding a team willing to offer him that.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise Bradford, and draft Baker Mayfield, Okla QB.
Cut Sanchez, and keep Thad Lewis, or another backup.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears the Eagles will draft somewhere around the 9-12 pick depending on what happens this weekend.

In that range, it may be possible to draft a QB, or throw in more picks to get a QB, like Jared Goff. If so, it may be the smart move. Paxton Lynch was the top QB on some boards but just turned in a bad bowl performance against Auburn, going 16-37 for 108 yards and a pick, while Goff went off in a bowl against Air Force with 25 of 37 passes for 467 yards and 6 TDs and no picks. Obviously Goff faced lesser competition, but I suspect he goes top 5 and Lynch is the guy that possibly is available to us.

Otherwise, you tag Bradford and see what happens with him under a new coach and scheme for a season. If he looks to be a good fit under the new coach's scheme, you lock him up to a long-term deal. If not, or if he gets hurt again, you let him walk.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it in September when a few of you were thinking Super Bowl... :dhd:

Bradford will win you some games and lose you some games. He was perfect for Chip Kelly's quick hit offense, but when teams come after him on defense he's going to make mistakes. He can't make plays with his feet in or out of the pocket, so he can't extend plays much either.

I'll give him he was looking a bit better at times, but he still made bad throws with pressure coming at him.

You can throw his stats at me all day: garbage stats or real game stats, I still don't want Bradford on the Rams. But I do appreciate the 2nd rounder + Foles and losing that huge contract of Sam's. 1 more year for this young Oline and Gurley, along with the defense... Trent Dilfer could help us get to the playoffs.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not expecting to compete for a Super bowl next year as of 12/30/15. A lot can happen in the next few months. So not planning to compete i look at:

Glennon
Foles
Draft somebody
Tell Sanchez to stand behind the team bus and back up.

My future QB is not on the roster and may not be available this offseason.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not keep Bradford, and draft a QB to develop? There is nothing special in this draft and there is no realistic alternative available for Bradford in free agency. Odds are that whatever comes out of this year's draft is not even mediocre, or at best Bradford's level.

Funny how everybody yelled at Kelly of replacing Eagles players with worse alternative... and are so easily willing to do the same with the position that has been the biggest disaster since McNabb left, with arguably the best player in the position since McNabb.

Think that is your answer. I don't think Bradford is much more than mediocre at best. I tend to agree that this draft is not loaded with premium talent at the QB position. But it's surely a better alternative than doubling down on Sam Bradford for 12-15 million a year or even worse franchise tagging the guy. He has stolen enough money already.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping Bradford at a high cap number while getting ready to go through a rebuild doesn't make a ton of sense. If Bradford comes back at a salary lower than this years I am ok with it but I think he is going to get in that 15-18 million range and quite frankly he is not worth it. I would give him a 2yr 20 mill contract, completely guaranteed. If he takes it great, if not you move on. The on other thing is this offensive line is going to take a few years to rebuild, I would much rather a guy who can move around and is not injury prone like Bradford back there. At least maybe they can run away from some sacks.

So I am thinking retread and draft one, maybe take a chance on an RGIII. I tell you something I saw him the other night before the game working out and he was on the money. Sure it was just practicing. Then when the Team came out to stretch even though he was deactivated he went and slap hands with every starting player. That is a leader. There is no doubt the guy has a ton of talent. Can a coach get to him? If so you unlock a ton of talent Super Bowl level talent. If not that is why you draft a QB. I don't think there is a QB in this draft that plays day one but I think Goff, Wentz and Cook with some time to learn could be really good pro QB's. I am not so sure on Lynch and Christian Hackenburgh sure looked like a stud under the pro style of Bill O Brien but under Franklin looks like he is a career backup type.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never seen Wentz, but he sounds like the kind of guy who will soar in pre-draft evaluations if he has a good Senior Bowl game and go in the mid first round. He'll get compared to Big Ben, already is being compared to him.

Los Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we trade back, pick up an offensive lineman and Carson Wentz North Dakota State. He will need some time but the kid has great tools and his teammates love him.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't want Bradford or Sanchez. If we can retain Bradford for one more year under a fair contract then sure, but he's never going to be a Super Bowl caliber QB. I'm going to have to start doing more scouting on the QB position and see what's out there for us.