• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If Verlander beans Victorino?

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the umpire consider it pre-meditated and toss him?? Was he calling out Victorino and the umpires with his ill-timed comments?

"And hopefully if something like that happens, those (umpires) are on top of it.”

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like what? I have no idea what that quote is in reference to.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like what? I have no idea what that quote is in reference to.

He was saying he thinks Victorino leans over the plate - and if a bean-ball is a strike, it should be called a strike.

"I don't think you can worry about that. I think just whoever is the home-plate umpire needs to be aware that he's up there. Anything on the inner half, occasionally he's looking to get hit. He's up there, he's right on top of the plate. And his arms are over the batter's box and over part of the plate. If he doesn't get out of the way, there could be an occasion that it could be a strike and it actually hits him."

Verlander: Victorino sometimes is 'looking to get hit' - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up Steve. In regards to your initial question, Nahh I doubt he'd get tossed. Maybe if he threw behind him a couple times, then plunked him. Even then, both benches would most likely be warned, preventing the Red Sox from retaliating.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up Steve. In regards to your initial question, Nahh I doubt he'd get tossed. Maybe if he threw behind him a couple times, then plunked him. Even then, both benches would most likely be warned, preventing the Red Sox from retaliating.

Side question: What is the best site for local Tiger coverage? I tried to google this Verlander quote to see their spin on it, but came up with nothing...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side question: What is the best site for local Tiger coverage? I tried to google this Verlander quote to see their spin on it, but came up with nothing...

Not likely to hear much around here about it. It's the sort of thing that might get Red Sox nation and their hand maidens at ESPN's panties in a bunch. The guy's been hit 5 times in 6 post-season games. He lead the league in hbp by a wide margin. JV has no interest in putting Victorino on. He hit 4 guys this year and his control was worse than it's been in years. It seems to me that JV is just speaking the truth and trying to get the umps ear.... get them to watch for it and call it a strike if he's hit by one in the strike zone like the rule states. You'd might hear about it on the local sports talk station or one of the boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sports | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Latest Detroit sports news, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, Michigan Wolverines, Detroit Lions, Detroit ... The Free Press would be my news feed of choice.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not likely to hear much around here about it. It's the sort of thing that might get Red Sox nation and their hand maidens at ESPN's panties in a bunch. The guy's been hit 5 times in 6 post-season games. He lead the league in hbp by a wide margin. JV has no interest in putting Victorino on. He hit 4 guys this year and his control was worse than it's been in years. It seems to me that JV is just speaking the truth and trying to get the umps ear.... get them to watch for it and call it a strike if he's hit by one in the strike zone like the rule states. You'd might hear about it on the local sports talk station or one of the boards.

Well, no one out here really pays atttention to ESPN - and I doubt this would make ESPN... But in Boston (and all of New England), anything related to the Red Sox is news and is reported 1,000 times. I just checked my bookmarks and found eight sites I check daily for Red Sox news....

(and, now I am thinking that is pretty sad)....

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Victorino is a smart player, and gutsy. he has every right to protect the inside pitch. I dont see Victorino backing down, and I dont see Verlander being shy about pitching inside. This is the game within the game. Good stuff by both , I just hope the Sox players dont comment back.