• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

..... If I played Roger Federer, or

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I played Roger Federer, or
How I learned that internal logic doesn't trump external logic, or
Why Major Applewhite is a genius and Charlie Strong wasn't

If I played Roger Federer, I'd serve-n-volley every point, I'd hit 2 first serves instead of hitting my regular second serve, and I'd try to pound every return of serve.
A smart person would think to himself, "Of course, you would. You had better try to end those points quickly."
The dummy thinks to himself the following:
"ElTexan, you're 40 and fat. On average, you're better from the baseline than serve n volley. You just can't move, stretch, and react that fast anymore."
"ElTexan, on average, hitting 2 first serves is going to lose you more service points than just hitting your second serve. You might double fault a lot."
"ElTexan, on average, killing your returns is going to lose more return points than trying to work your way into points."
ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE TRUE... ON AVERAGE. But this is not an average game: I'm playing Roger Federer.
My best bet is to play a style that is above my average and hope I can maintain for the entire match... to try to paint the lines with my best shots over and over and hope I can play out of my mind for two sets.
So, David Ash is out, and Swoopes is in with very little experience. Our OLine is crippled, literally and figuratively, and BYU supposedly has a good DLine.
Why do we listen to dummies who think?: "Well, David Ash is out and Swoopes is in with very little experience. So, you better keep the game plan simple, a few short passes, and run the ball a lot. Swoopes doesn't pass so well. On average, that is the best bet here."
That is the exact opposite of what you want to do. That is a formula for walking uphill. That is a formula for failure. Texas' OLine is crap and BYU's DLine is good. You want to take the game away from the trenches. Yes, it means playing a style that is NOT the best play ON AVERAGE for a backup QB, but you have to chance to be good, to play ABOVE your average. What you want to do is take your chances and throw downfield, even if the backup QB isn't as accurate or experienced.
So, to me, the Texas HC and OC do NOT get a pass for the BYU game at all. They did the exact opposite of what was called for. They just decided to play it simple and scared, instead of showing leadership and playing smart.
*Heck, as a side note: In the case where I play Federer, I have to maintain my shoot-for-the-moon strategy all match long. If I ever go back to "work my way into the point strategy," I immediately start to get my ass kicked. In the Texas-BYU game, throwing downfield and doing well for just a portion of the game actually allows one to go back to the simpler, conservative style later and have more success at it. There was simply no excuse for getting super-conservative in this scenario. None.
This is why I don't understand why Longhorn fans on these forums put down Major Applewhite as an OC last year. Are they crazy? Applewhite took Derp McCoy and our woeful offense and took us to within one better half of one game of winning the conference. Any other OC would have seen Derp's play and just ran the ball or only let him throw on sure, short passes. Instead, he chanced to let Derp play better than he really could, beat OU, beat some teams he shouldn't have, and almost win the Big12.

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gangnam-style-didn%27t-read-lol.gif

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I played Roger Federer, or
How I learned that internal logic doesn't trump external logic, or
Why Major Applewhite is a genius and Charlie Strong wasn't

If I played Roger Federer, I'd serve-n-volley every point, I'd hit 2 first serves instead of hitting my regular second serve, and I'd try to pound every return of serve.
A smart person would think to himself, "Of course, you would. You had better try to end those points quickly."
The dummy thinks to himself the following:
"ElTexan, you're 40 and fat. On average, you're better from the baseline than serve n volley. You just can't move, stretch, and react that fast anymore."
"ElTexan, on average, hitting 2 first serves is going to lose you more service points than just hitting your second serve. You might double fault a lot."
"ElTexan, on average, killing your returns is going to lose more return points than trying to work your way into points."
ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE TRUE... ON AVERAGE. But this is not an average game: I'm playing Roger Federer.
My best bet is to play a style that is above my average and hope I can maintain for the entire match... to try to paint the lines with my best shots over and over and hope I can play out of my mind for two sets.
So, David Ash is out, and Swoopes is in with very little experience. Our OLine is crippled, literally and figuratively, and BYU supposedly has a good DLine.
Why do we listen to dummies who think?: "Well, David Ash is out and Swoopes is in with very little experience. So, you better keep the game plan simple, a few short passes, and run the ball a lot. Swoopes doesn't pass so well. On average, that is the best bet here."
That is the exact opposite of what you want to do. That is a formula for walking uphill. That is a formula for failure. Texas' OLine is crap and BYU's DLine is good. You want to take the game away from the trenches. Yes, it means playing a style that is NOT the best play ON AVERAGE for a backup QB, but you have to chance to be good, to play ABOVE your average. What you want to do is take your chances and throw downfield, even if the backup QB isn't as accurate or experienced.
So, to me, the Texas HC and OC do NOT get a pass for the BYU game at all. They did the exact opposite of what was called for. They just decided to play it simple and scared, instead of showing leadership and playing smart.
*Heck, as a side note: In the case where I play Federer, I have to maintain my shoot-for-the-moon strategy all match long. If I ever go back to "work my way into the point strategy," I immediately start to get my ass kicked. In the Texas-BYU game, throwing downfield and doing well for just a portion of the game actually allows one to go back to the simpler, conservative style later and have more success at it. There was simply no excuse for getting super-conservative in this scenario. None.
This is why I don't understand why Longhorn fans on these forums put down Major Applewhite as an OC last year. Are they crazy? Applewhite took Derp McCoy and our woeful offense and took us to within one better half of one game of winning the conference. Any other OC would have seen Derp's play and just ran the ball or only let him throw on sure, short passes. Instead, he chanced to let Derp play better than he really could, beat OU, beat some teams he shouldn't have, and almost win the Big12.

I am not sure why anyone thinks Applewhite was particularly good last year. He was not close to Harsin. He had 5 upperclassman as OL. He kind of killed Ash with those awesome QB runs the game back from his concussion from a QB run vs BYU while down 30. The key to beating OU has and always will be to run on them. I dont think McCoy threw 20 passes in that game. That pretty much sums it up.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best offense for Swoopes would be the zone read.
-
I think it needs to be reworked. There is a problem at Texas. The offense is slow. Read option with MB is dead on arrival. Gray isnt 100% back, but a better option. I wouldnt mind seeing some REad option with Swoopes, but I would like him to be the inside threat. He is 250LBs and not particularly fast, despite the pigment induced perceptions. I would be iterested to see ZR with Catalon in the backfield. He can take the outside run with Swoopes taking the dive. Tebow/Klein style.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The solution is simple fire Strong and hire ElTexan as the head coach and the sooner the better.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I think it needs to be reworked. There is a problem at Texas. The offense is slow. Read option with MB is dead on arrival. Gray isnt 100% back, but a better option. I wouldnt mind seeing some REad option with Swoopes, but I would like him to be the inside threat. He is 250LBs and not particularly fast, despite the pigment induced perceptions. I would be iterested to see ZR with Catalon in the backfield. He can take the outside run with Swoopes taking the dive. Tebow/Klein style.

:agree: Give Swoopes a chance to play instinctual football. He's got the size to make it work. It would force defenses to play the run and not play 2 deep. He could then throw passes to receivers who would at least have the chance to be open.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin-James-Tennis-Fail.gif

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read the thread will it explain why Major Applewhite is playing Federer?

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read the thread will it explain why Major Applewhite is playing Federer?

It's a great explanation of how we would have beaten Alabama in the Rose Bowl if Major Applewhite had put in Federer.

Great read. Much insight. Very football. Wow.
photo.jpg

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off season thread.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was bang'n Emma Watson, would I go all vanilla and stick to missionary or doggy style?

Naw dawg.... I would be all about throwing that shocker and doing coital acrobatic flips an shit.....

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to summarize:

Tennis are gay.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was bang'n Emma Watson, would I go all vanilla and stick to missionary or doggy style?

Naw dawg.... I would be all about throwing that shocker and doing coital acrobatic flips an shit.....

Exactly. If you find yourself at a deficit, shoot the moon.