• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If ever there was a year to trade away a 1st round pick

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the year. Lack of top end talent this year makes trading for Harvin look much better.

Just look what the Rams did to trade up for Austin. Who sems like he may be a electric player, but undersized for sure.

For the Seahawks to make the same move would have cost even more.

The more I see of JS and PC the more I like. Seahawks really do have a elite front office!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read only five skill players were taken in the first round this year, so clearly Carroll and Schneider were targeting a skill player in that round and didn't see one worth picking and "settled" for Harvin. I put quotes around the word settled because saying you settled for Harvin is like saying you settled for filet mignon.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess time will tell how good or bad this draft is.

For now, I certainly agree that my feelings weren't hurt by picking so late this year. The draft appears weak.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft was shy on elite skilled positions. The fact that a team felt the need to trade up to the 8th spot to draft a little guy like Austin kind of speaks for itself. Kudos to the Seahawk front office!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, an astute observation by our FO.
Percy cost a lot, but I expect Pete to bring out the best in him and I do not think he will be a problem. In fact I say he will become a huge asset for us.
As long as our D can close out a game, we are going to be a tough match for anyone this year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it was more of a terrible draft to have a top 10 pick.

In around the 20's you got guys that fell right about where they should've been.

You stack the top 10 of this draft against the top 10 of the 2011 draft and it makes the top 10 of this draft look like a complete joke.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Jikkle. What a lousy year to have a top 5 pick. Of course there were some potential great OL men taken early, but no sexy picks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haters going to hate

No. 3. He is too small? He is Desean Jackson except a little stronger. And the league is basically flag football now.

No. 2. Sam Bradford is very far from a top-tier quarterback. He is average in every way. Bradford was able to use Givens and Danario Alexander. He'll be able to use Austin.

No. 1. The Rams have no other talent to take pressure off of Austin.:lame:

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, we paid Harvin a very large salary. I get that. So salary talk is over.

About the number of picks given up for Harvin.

Yes, we gave up a 1st, 3rd and 7th for Harvin. Fact.
SF swapped it's 1st, and gave up a 3rd, for Reid. Fact.

Let's pretend neither trade happened, Seattle gets a player with their 1st, SF swapped, so no gain or loss in # of players. So, since the trade did happen, Seattle has a net loss of TWO players, Correct? 3 players if they don't trade, 1 player with the trade.
The trade WAS made, so Seattle loses out on two possible players. a 3rd and a 7th.
Harvin I suppose could be replaced with any of these choices, but I'll go with 1st. Harvin is better than MOST every player drafted in 2013 1st round, and certainly better than the 25th choice we would of had. Am I right so far?

Now, SF, exchanges 1st's, no player loss, but they give up a 3rd, Fact. ONE player loss.

So, with these trades,
Seattle get Harvin (and his salary) and losses out on 2 players, a 3rd and a 7th.
SF gets Reid, and loses out on ONE player, a 3rd.

The difference is a 7th ROUND pick (and Harvins salary).

Please discuss, tell me if I'm wrong, don't think so, but that Harvin Trade, better than the Reid trade, I think so.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Let's pretend neither trade happened, Seattle gets a player with their 1st, SF swapped, so no gain or loss in # of players. So, since the trade did happen, Seattle has a net loss of TWO players, Correct? 3 players if they don't trade, 1 player with the trade.
The trade WAS made, so Seattle loses out on two possible players. a 3rd and a 7th.
Harvin I suppose could be replaced with any of these choices, but I'll go with 1st. Harvin is better than MOST every player drafted in 2013 1st round, and certainly better than the 25th choice we would of had. Am I right so far?

Now, SF, exchanges 1st's, no player loss, but they give up a 3rd, Fact. ONE player loss.

So, with these trades,
Seattle get Harvin (and his salary) and losses out on 2 players, a 3rd and a 7th.

Please discuss, tell me if I'm wrong, don't think so, but that Harvin Trade, better than the Reid trade, I think so.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, with these trades,

You cannot look at trades like that.

Reid replaces Goldston who is now gone.
Harvin replaces Tate who is now their 3rd WR.

Seahawks improve in the Trade greatly.
Niners are hoping to tread water with their Trade.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot look at trades like that.

Reid replaces Goldston who is now gone.
Harvin replaces Tate who is now their 3rd WR.

Seahawks improve in the Trade greatly.
Niners are hoping to tread water with their Trade.

I thought Tate was a split end and Harvin is a slot receiver. My understanding was we would see Tate, Rice, and Harvin in 3 receiver sets. Am I wrong?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, with these trades,

But you can't really remove salary from the discussion and it's more of an apples to oranges comparison.

Harvin's contract was 6 years $67 million dollars I believe which is roughly $10 million a year while Melvin Ingram who was pick 18 last year signed for 4 years at $8.4 million which is roughly $2 million a year.

With the salary cap in the NFL $8 million is a big difference it could mean the difference having to let a big name off your team walk and being able to resign him.

And if for the sake of argument Reid becomes a pro bowl or all pro kind of player you have him at a steal for 2 million a year.

I thought the move for Harvin was great on Seattle's part but I just don't think he should being judged as being Seattle's 1st round pick.

In terms of value the 49ers completely ripped the Cowboys off by giving up a 3rd to jump up from 31 to 18. Especially when you considered the 49ers themselves gave up 34 to the Titans to drop to 40 and got a 2014 3rd rounder and a 7th rounder out of it.