• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ichiro wants to play til 50

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/i...-theres-no-reason-to-doubt-him-043250196.html

After 25 seasons in professional baseball, and with 4,308 hits — 1,278 in Japan and another 3,030 in MLB — under his belt, the left-handed hitting machine has no designs on retiring now or anytime soon.

This isn’t an assumption on our part either. It’s based on comments Ichiro made to the Miami Herald on Wednesday, which included the line “I think I’ll die” in regard to when, or maybe we should say if, retirement ever becomes a reality.

At 43, he is the oldest position player in the majors. Only Braves pitcher Bartolo Colon — 51 days his senior — is older among active players. And yet there is no sign of quit in him.

He said he wants to continue playing until he’s 50.

“I’m not joking when I say it,” Ichiro said.

We’re not joking when we say we fully believe that’s his intention. We’re also not joking when we say we believe he’ll be able to pull it off.

There are two things Ichiro has seemingly perfected. The first is slapping the opposing hurler’s best pitch to left field for a hit. The other is his conditioning. Ichiro is always in remarkable shape, and that’s translated to him staying healthy and remaining a productive player.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heck, I can see him playing into his 60s

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange how the reaction time leaves so quickly. Dennis Martinez learned that, but he's a pitcher.
Ichiro's ability to stay healthy will matter but if the reaction time diminishes at the normal rate, he will eventually find himself hitting .088 and I'd think he would be released.
Then again, if he can play, he will always be an important bench bat. I don't know how good his English is, but he sure is a role model for Japanese players.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange how the reaction time leaves so quickly. Dennis Martinez learned that, but he's a pitcher.
Ichiro's ability to stay healthy will matter but if the reaction time diminishes at the normal rate, he will eventually find himself hitting .088 and I'd think he would be released.
Then again, if he can play, he will always be an important bench bat. I don't know how good his English is, but he sure is a role model for Japanese players.

He doesn't have to play the field... the beauty of the AL... He'd still be able to hit above the Mendoza line imo

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure he speaks very good English. Just chooses not to for a lot of things.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did the Marlins move to the AL?
I assume he means that the Fish will deal Ichiro to the Rays because, well ... just because that's the decent thing to do.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure he speaks very good English. Just chooses not to for a lot of things.
Not uncommon for foreign players to do this. Helps the avoid clown questions. Johnny Cueto is a master of pretending he doesn't speak English. Everyone knows better.