• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ice Fishing

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's cool. Maybe he can just write the cliff notes of the dictionary then.

Tox is right when he says casual, I don't spend alot of time on the computer when I'm home. And especially in the fall, it's hunting season and walleye time!!

Now that deer hunting is done and the lakes are between open and safe ice to walk on.

So I think I read Pike, walleye and gills.

I fish on Lake St. Claire mostly, so there are areas with current and the fish tend to migrate around (tributary of the great lakes), water is not very deep 17 feet at best.

Pike and walleye: Fish early morning and late at night, I use mostly lead-head jigs and occasionally I use spot tail minnows (when I can get them). Trick I like to use when pike are being taken is to put 5-10 minnows in a mason jar, pop some very small holes in the lid and hang the jar down in the water on a heavy line, the minnows flash and bring them in. We can spear pike here so I don't usually "fish" for them that much. Walleye (here) I fish at night, from sundown til around 2:00 am, colder than hell out, but best time for catching them.

We have gills but not alot, mostly in canals and back waters, I use wax worms (bee larve), and wigglers (May fly larve). Use small jigs mostly yellows and whites. Same bait I would use for perch, which is what mostly go after.

Can't wait, by next weekend the ice should be safe enough to start hitting the bigger weed beds on the main lake....

Going up north in a few weeks to go after white fish, deep water 60-100 feet, usually use blood baits for them. and the only time I fish in a shanty.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have been reading they say that jigging is not the best method with ice fishing because when the water gets so cold the fish get lethargic and will give up on trying to eat something that is moving around too much.

depends on what yer fishing for. Slow down yer jig....should only be poppin it every 12 to 15 seconds anyway.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on what yer fishing for. Slow down yer jig....should only be poppin it every 12 to 15 seconds anyway.

I might try not jerking my pole this year. I have done that in years past and barely get a bite.

Haven't decided yet what I will do with my fishing rod. :cool2:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My tournament is coming up next weekend on 1/26 so it's very close now.

Usually it runs from 10:00AM - 2:00PM. Then we demolish the bar on the shore.

I'm pumped! :yahoo:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High temp on Sat. of 14 degrees. Gonna be cold as a bitch.

I'll have to do whatever I can to stay warm.

Got a couple of these just in case..

Bean-s-Air-activated-Heat-Pack-126123.jpg

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news! My buddy invested in a pop up ice fishing house.

It looks like a tent kind of but at least will keep the wind off.

About to hit the road soon. Thanks for all the help yous guise!

gonefishing.jpg

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Doesn't the guy in that pic ^^ look like "cancer man" or "the smoking man" from the x files show?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it's friggin April and I just now see this? Could maybe helped you out. Oh well, nit me up nest season and I'll help you put some fish on the ice. I ALMOST guarantee it. :)