• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Wonder What This Was For....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap decastro alone opened up 13 mil in cap space

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap decastro alone opened up 13 mil in cap space
I've been saying all along that there is definitely a way we can comfortably sign Bell and give him $14-$15 mil a year. We just need to release some dead weight and restructure some contracts. They've restructured and now probably have enough to sign Bell long term. Extending Ben right now is not a priority but would be great to get done before next season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying all along that there is definitely a way we can comfortably sign Bell and give him $14-$15 mil a year. We just need to release some dead weight and restructure some contracts. They've restructured and now probably have enough to sign Bell long term. Extending Ben right now is not a priority but would be great to get done before next season.
Truth. I’m against paying rb big money but he’s more than a rb

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great news. Hopefully the next kind of good news is dead weight getting cut.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what to do with hadens big cap hit
No choice but to eat it. Only 2 years remaining on his contract with the same cap hit each year. Meaning if they tried to do a restructure it would only make his final year a monstrous cap hit. No thanks.

Only option is to cut him, which would be stupid. Even in decline he's the best CB they have. Cutting him would save them north of $8mil ($3.8m dead), but that would be a huge gamble for the defense.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No choice but to eat it. Only 2 years remaining on his contract with the same cap hit each year. Meaning if they tried to do a restructure it would only make his final year a monstrous cap hit. No thanks.

Only option is to cut him, which would be stupid. Even in decline he's the best CB they have. Cutting him would save them north of $8mil ($3.8m dead), but that would be a huge gamble for the defense.
i agree, ive just heard alot of ppl (sports radio) talk about cutting him and drafting a cb high or signing a FA

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Joe Haden is the best CB we have and that's not saying much. He's an aging vet who averaged less than 2 combined tackles a game. We need better talent in our secondary. if that means cutting him to make room, that's what we gotta do. I can't wait for Cameron Sutton to be healthy all year so we can see what we have in him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree, ive just heard alot of ppl (sports radio) talk about cutting him and drafting a cb high or signing a FA
Joe Haden is the best CB we have and that's not saying much. He's an aging vet who averaged less than 2 combined tackles a game. We need better talent in our secondary. if that means cutting him to make room, that's what we gotta do. I can't wait for Cameron Sutton to be healthy all year so we can see what we have in him.
I understand the theory but they won't do it. That would downgrade an already porous secondary that is this team's biggest weakness. Not worth it IMO. I'm always on-board with drafting CBs regardless of the current depth. The position is a revolving door of sorts. Need to keep providing talented competition to drive for success. You just have to hope that sooner or later someone comes along and earns their keep. Finding Hilton in UDFA was a phenomenal find & huge upgrade to the nickel defense.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the theory but they won't do it. That would downgrade an already porous secondary that is this team's biggest weakness. Not worth it IMO. I'm always on-board with drafting CBs regardless of the current depth. The position is a revolving door of sorts. Need to keep providing talented competition to drive for success. You just have to hope that sooner or later someone comes along and earns their keep. Finding Hilton in UDFA was a phenomenal find & huge upgrade to the nickel defense.
Unless they land a quality FA CB to replace him, they shouldn't do it. Haden was handed to them on a silver platter by Cleveland. That doesn't happen very often. We saw what that secondary looked like without Haden and it was scary. Since this is a contract year for Haden, he'll play lights out this year and price himself outta Pittsburgh. So, drafting CBs every year, as face already said, is always a priority.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackles per game for a CB that IMO other teams pretty much avoided running toward and throwing against don't really mean that much. As I already said, Haden won't be here past this season so they need to draft his eventual replacement this year.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tackles per game for a CB that IMO other teams pretty much avoided running toward and throwing against don't really mean that much. As I already said, Haden won't be here past this season so they need to draft his eventual replacement this year.

He shouldn't be here this season. Don't want him here. I want to go after a free agent like Malcolm Butler or Kyle Fuller. Dontae Johnson from San Fran would be a very cheap option. They all have age on their side and put up better numbers than Haden has since he got his concussion. Cut him and pay a decent, young FA less and put that left over money towards Bell's contract or Ben's extension. We should be drafting nothing but defense this go around. Maybe 1 WR but that's it. CB, SS, FS and LB is what we need. The rest can wait as long as we sign Bell.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haden actually has 2 more seasons under contract with the Steelers. $10-11 mil cap hit for each year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't be here this season. Don't want him here. I want to go after a free agent like Malcolm Butler or Kyle Fuller. Dontae Johnson from San Fran would be a very cheap option. They all have age on their side and put up better numbers than Haden has since he got his concussion. Cut him and pay a decent, young FA less and put that left over money towards Bell's contract or Ben's extension. We should be drafting nothing but defense this go around. Maybe 1 WR but that's it. CB, SS, FS and LB is what we need. The rest can wait as long as we sign Bell.
He shouldn't be here & you don't want him here? That's absurd.

Butler or Trumaine Johnsons would be an acceptable tradeoff, but the pricetag could be just as high. Fuller & Johnson are gambles.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haden actually has 2 more seasons under contract with the Steelers. $10-11 mil cap hit for each year.
Oh, I thought it was just one more. Thank-you for setting me straight.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shouldn't be here & you don't want him here? That's absurd.

Butler or Trumaine Johnsons would be an acceptable tradeoff, but the pricetag could be just as high. Fuller & Johnson are gambles.
If they cut him and eat the cap hit, I don't see any way they can afford any high or mid end with the price to match CB. Unless Bell is gone to free up the $$$.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a very short-sighted view and the Steelers' FO doesn't operate that way.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cut him and eat the cap hit, I don't see any way they can afford any high or mid end with the price to match CB. Unless Bell is gone to free up the $$$.
I'm not a numbers guy, but my understanding of how it works is if they cut him then they eat only the Dead Cap. Is that correct? I'm sure its a little more complicated.

According to spotrac.... Joe Haden

Haden's cap hit is $11.9mil this year & next year. They cut him this year they eat a dead cap of $3.8mil, which saves them roughly $8mil against the cap. Pretty decent savings, no? They would save an extra $2mil, making it $10mil saved, if they waited until the 2019 offseason to cut him.

None of it matters though because I'm more than positive that he isn't going anywhere. In the coaches' eyes Haden's value lies far beyond his pricetag. Tomlin lauded Haden as a top 10 CB, and said he has the best leadership skills amongst anyone in the league. That sort of miraculous acquisition doesn't happen only to cut ties a year later based off a pricetag.