• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think this article just about sums it up

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, funding an enormous athletic deparment and giving a ton of kids an opportunity to go to school on athletic scholarships for non revenue sports is not doing any good?? The football program affords opportunities to these kids that they would never have otherwise, it makes Penn state one of 2 or 3 self sufficient athletic departments in the nation. Should we take that money and give it away so the AD has to draw from the general education fund or just tell these other kids, sorry, the court of public opinion deemed you unimportant.

Secondly, the settlement numbers people are throwing around are nuts. Sever legal experts have weighed in saying it would be more around 5 million total in civil suits for the University. 500k is considered a very hefty sum, people thinking each victim is going to get 10's of millions are nuts.

Bottom line, the football program did not do anything wrong, they do a tremendous amount of good already by funding non revenue sports, not to mention the hundreds of thousands they raise for charities like the special olympics and fighting cancer (see lift for life this past weekend).

Is it a cash cow?? Yes. Is that a bad thing?? no. Not like people are going to quit going. They'll still have their 100k per game, rake in 5 mil + per home game and get the 22-25 mil from TV contracts off the bat every year. Dave Jones has always been a dickwad with a hard on to write negatively towards PSU. He's an OSU alum and never hid his hate of the program.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the writer was conflicted himself. I think another thing that needs pointing out is that, in addition to being one of the most profitable programs, last year the team was the best academically (for FBS). PSU is a top 50 university: the 'he's not going to the NFL, at least he'll get a degree' thing is not just a platitude - like it is at some colleges.

SFNL, I saw yesterday on the thread in the WC where you pointed out the economic realities of the NCAA's position. I think that certainly is true, and what you're pointing out here is, too. There will be no voluntary stoppage of the program. LBU brings up a good point, too: that $ does a lot of good.

Right now, it's kind of hard to wrap my head around the whole thing (and I still haven't read the Freeh report). There's a lot of haterade and schadenfreude in the whole hysteria. I've seen plenty of it on this site. We're just going to have to ride it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a little more time to add to this discussion. i'll try to a little later on.

That article was the first thing i read this morning... i need to read it again after seeing these posts

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a little more time to add to this discussion. i'll try to a little later on.

That article was the first thing i read this morning... i need to read it again after seeing these posts

Take anything Jones writes with a big grain of salt. I've worked in the media for years. he truly hates PSU and couldn't be happier about piling on.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another little nugget. How would it affect the overall economy of center county?? How many people lose their jobs in hotels, restaurants, etc if they lose theose 8 days a year where they make a fortune?? It would be catastrophic to more than just the University.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. My op really referred to how back and forth even I've been on it and what should be done (self imposed and otherwise). If the football program really nets 53 million dollars per year, can't it pay off the lawsuits by itself in a few years or less simply by functioning? If it stops for 1 year like Bob Costas and others are calling for, restaurants, bars, hotels, gas stations, you name it, all begin to go under causing employees to lose their jobs, impacting their kids, impacting the banks, foreclosures ect.

What about other universities when PSU goes on the road? Not sure how much revenue that brings them for a weekend, but now they lose that as well.

Thats all im saying

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. My op really referred to how back and forth even I've been on it and what should be done (self imposed and otherwise). If the football program really nets 53 million dollars per year, can't it pay off the lawsuits by itself in a few years or less simply by functioning? If it stops for 1 year like Bob Costas and others are calling for, restaurants, bars, hotels, gas stations, you name it, all begin to go under causing employees to lose their jobs, impacting their kids, impacting the banks, foreclosures ect.

What about other universities when PSU goes on the road? Not sure how much revenue that brings them for a weekend, but now they lose that as well.

Thats all im saying

Why would they pay the lawsuits when teh football program didn't do anything?? The University has insurance that will pay out most of the lawsuits. If you want it to come from football budget, you will be killing non revenue sports that money supports. The program is not going away for a year, a month or a day no matter what these pompous no nothing jackasses like Costas say. Why isn't he up on his soap box about the Red sox having this go on in their clubhouse, the Syarcuse basketball program (where ESPN hid a tape that was hard evidence of crimes until it was past statute of limitations...oh wait, that midget Costas is a Syracuse alum). Bottom line, Penn state is not going to self impose any shut down or any sort of probation that would hurt the program when the program has not violated an NCAA rule. These idiots in the media pontificating here the money should go need to do some more research as to where the money football makes actually ends up. What you need to realize is these clowns live and die for ratings/website hits.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh trust me, I know. The media has such a profound influence on moronic people's opinions. For instance... Thursday morning while I was reading the ACTUAL report on the computer, I could overhear people watching TV coverage and talking amongst themselves. I didn't say a word to them, its not worth my time. Everyone has an opinion on this, the only ones who voice it though are the ignorant folks who don't know a damn about the entire scope of this mess.

I'm ready to get into the meat and potatoes of this. Why the DA is dead or missing, what happened to the victims who were actually seen, what the FUCK was really going on at The Second Mile, what Corbett knew. All the stuff that will take the emphasis back off of the University and the football program.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they pay the lawsuits when teh football program didn't do anything?? The University has insurance that will pay out most of the lawsuits. If you want it to come from football budget, you will be killing non revenue sports that money supports. The program is not going away for a year, a month or a day no matter what these pompous no nothing jackasses like Costas say. Why isn't he up on his soap box about the Red sox having this go on in their clubhouse, the Syarcuse basketball program (where ESPN hid a tape that was hard evidence of crimes until it was past statute of limitations...oh wait, that midget Costas is a Syracuse alum). Bottom line, Penn state is not going to self impose any shut down or any sort of probation that would hurt the program when the program has not violated an NCAA rule. These idiots in the media pontificating here the money should go need to do some more research as to where the money football makes actually ends up. What you need to realize is these clowns live and die for ratings/website hits.

I don't know about the bold: we'll see what develops. PSU may voluntarily offer some scholarship reductions - that's been shown to be an effective strategy in the past for schools that were under investigation (like Ohio St and South Carolina). They may do that as an admission of loss of institutional control, even though that did not go to competitive advantage.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the bold: we'll see what develops. PSU may voluntarily offer some scholarship reductions - that's been shown to be an effective strategy in the past for schools that were under investigation (like Ohio St and South Carolina). They may do that as an admission of loss of institutional control, even though that did not go to competitive advantage.

I'd take that bet. If anything, I could see them doing a monetary punishment (portion of bowl money or TV money for a couple years) to aid victims of child abuse. Why cripple the vehicle that already does and can do so much more good?? How does penalizing PSU football help the victims at all?? That's what these idiot writers don't get, you are doing more damage to more innocent people by trying to cripple PSU football than leaving them alone and letting them raise an ass load of $$$ for RAINN and other organizations.

OSU and South Carolina had displayed clear LOIC by the letter of the NCAA law. taking their own slap on wrist was embarassing for NCAA. Those were actuall rules they have jurisdiction over.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take that bet. If anything, I could see them doing a monetary punishment (portion of bowl money or TV money for a couple years) to aid victims of child abuse. Why cripple the vehicle that already does and can do so much more good?? How does penalizing PSU football help the victims at all?? That's what these idiot writers don't get, you are doing more damage to more innocent people by trying to cripple PSU football than leaving them alone and letting them raise an ass load of $$$ for RAINN and other organizations.

OSU and South Carolina had displayed clear LOIC by the letter of the NCAA law. taking their own slap on wrist was embarassing for NCAA. Those were actuall rules they have jurisdiction over.

Hmm. Might be a Claude Giroux avatar in your future. There is some ambiguity in the bylaws about the scope of the NCAA's authority in cases of 'loss of institutional control'. We agree, the experts I have read agree that they would be overreaching to apply a penalty. We also know that the NCAA has been inconsistent in doling out punishments, and there's going to be a lot of public pressure.

I'm not saying that PSU should make a pre-emptive strike by sacrificing some scholarships, I'm just noting that it's one strategy. Obviously, it would come with a cost, but it might provide some face-saving for the NCAA, that could dissuade them from the overreaching mentioned earlier. And will it appease all the haters? Hell no, but it might calm some of them down a bit.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. Might be a Claude Giroux avatar in your future. There is some ambiguity in the bylaws about the scope of the NCAA's authority in cases of 'loss of institutional control'. We agree, the experts I have read agree that they would be overreaching to apply a penalty. We also know that the NCAA has been inconsistent in doling out punishments, and there's going to be a lot of public pressure.

I'm not saying that PSU should make a pre-emptive strike by sacrificing some scholarships, I'm just noting that it's one strategy. Obviously, it would come with a cost, but it might provide some face-saving for the NCAA, that could dissuade them from the overreaching mentioned earlier. And will it appease all the haters? Hell no, but it might calm some of them down a bit.

Even ESPN is starting to see the light. Bilas has been very vocal and critical, but he gets it. Its beyond NCAA reach and they should stay out of it. NCAA better sanction Penn State administrators - ESPN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Emmert (NCAA president) is posturing:

"I've never seen anything as egregious as this in terms of just overall conduct and behavior inside a university and hope never to see it again," Emmert said during the interview. "What the appropriate penalties are, if there are determinations of violations, we'll have to decide.

I think he knows that he's not going to find any actual violations, and is now trying to lay the groundwork for either (a) justifying the 'overreach' I discussed in an earlier post, (b) forcing the university's hand into self-sanctioning.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually watched some exerpts from that interview and its funny how media ran with the sensational BS and failed to mentioned he said they can only punish if they find anything that broke their rules. I can see a punishment that affects the redirects some revenue to help prevent abuse. It keeps the NCAA from looking like the helpless limp dicks they are here and actually benefits the victims. The school and NCAA have been discussing things for a while. That said, I know the coaching staff still feels there are no sanctions coming.

Sanctioning a program that did nothing will benefit nobody, redirecting funds and PSU becoming a leader in the future prevention of child abuse helps everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually watched some exerpts from that interview and its funny how media ran with the sensational BS and failed to mentioned he said they can only punish if they find anything that broke their rules. I can see a punishment that affects the redirects some revenue to help prevent abuse. It keeps the NCAA from looking like the helpless limp dicks they are here and actually benefits the victims.

Sanctioning a program that did nothing will benefit nobody, redirecting funds and PSU becoming a leader in the future prevention of child abuse helps everyone.

So you agree with my contention that Emmert is making a play? Forcing the university to make some sort of concession, with implied threats?

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you agree with my contention that Emmert is making a play? Forcing the university to make some sort of concession, with implied threats?

2 things, he has no choice but to come out and appease the media and craziy people who don't understand the situation and want to just react towards the football program instead of thinking about the victims and the fact it isn't an athletic problem. If he comes out with a soft stance, the NCAA and Emert will get pummeled. Bottom line, he answers to the presidents of the Universities, not the media and they don't want criminal activity by administrators affecting their athletic programs.

Secondly, yes, I agree he is totally posturing while behind the scenes working with PSU on a compromise that will satisfy no one, but leave nobody with an unjust sanctioning of a program that did nothing or the NCAA with total egg on its face looking like the powerless limp dick organization it is.. PSU has made sweeping changes, held the people who committed the crimes accountable, committed itself to becoming a leader in child abuse prevention and research, using the football program as a vehicle to fund further programs will probably be the end result. NCAA doesn't want to have this hanging around till the criminal trials are all complete because we all know there will be appeals, now the freeh investigation being investigated by 2 other investigations....it would be much easier for them to compromise with PSU and for PSU to compromise and move on. If PSU proposes a goes completely to helping victims and the NCAA decides to sanction them, cripple their program and take any help away from victims, they will look like a-holes.

Like I said,the people wiithin the program seem to be feeling confident as far as no sanctions that will hamstring them. O'Brien's theme has been ignore the noise.

Ironically enough, ESPN, Fox, ABC etc stand to lose some big revenue if PSU would be punished with no TV, bowl or no team even for a year. When push comes to shove, those entities will protect their bottom line, jump off thei soap box and move on. The climate now is exactly the same as it was in NOvember and that cooled down eventually till the report came out. SAme will happen once the Olympics start.