• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think Michigan may win the Big 10 this season

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I mean that.

If Shea Patterson wins the job, performs at least slightly above average (anything is better than Michigan's QB situation last season) and stays healthy, this team could be looking at a great year ahead. They have 17 returning starters including most of their offensive playmakers and almost the entire defense. They get some tricky games on the road and a few tough ones at home, but if they play to the standard I think they can I see 10-2 with losses to Michigan State and Notre Dame. I think they beat Penn State and get over the hump of Ohio State this season.

Following this, I believe Penn State will lose only to Michigan this season. I think they avenge both of their crushing last minute losses to Ohio State and Michigan State. Overall I think they finish 11-1 with a very close loss to Michigan.

Ohio State I believe will beat Michigan State (as they should) and lose to Michigan and Penn State. Depending on TCU, I believe they finish 10-2 again, possibly 9-3. I think the loss of JT Barrett will be felt when clutch time comes around. I don't doubt Haskins, but the ice in the veins is one of those thing that has to be earned, and JT made some clutch plays in his career when needed. The Buckeyes will be a solid team again this season, but I think experience catches them in a few games, as well as most of their tough games being on the road.

Michigan State bring back a lot of experience from last season, around 17 total starters I believe. Not that I don't think they won't capitalize off of their development under Dantonio, but I think the division is just too good this season for them to come out on top. I do think they will beat Michigan at home, just out of pure will power and the mentality they have branded over the last 10 years of knowing they can beat Michigan on any given day. However, I don't think they catch Penn State off guard again, and I believe they lose by possibly 10+. Ohio State is just better than the Spartans, and if they show up and Urban actually devises a gameplan, the Buckeyes win by 10+.

So an overview:

1. Michigan 10-2 (8-1) *holds tiebreaker
1. Penn State 11-1 (8-1)
3. Ohio State 10-2 (7-2)*holds tiebreaker
3. Michigan State 10-2 (7-2)

It's a different perspective from most people but I don't believe it's out of the question.

As far as the playoff goes, I think Michigan would be in a similar fiasco as Auburn last season, and Penn State taking Alabama's role of last season.

I also have Notre Dame(one of Michigan's 2 losses) at 12-0 on paper, though they have 3-4 realistic chances of losing this season. They shouldn't be worse than 9-3.

It all comes down to QB and OL play. That is the one thing that has killed UM since Harbaugh took over. The best QB UM has had was a guy who lost the starting job from Iowa and grad transferred to UM.
I’m hoping and praying Harbaugh and Hamilton stop being so stubborn with the pro style offense and cater the offense to the strengths of Patterson. Add in some RPO’s, add in some bubble screens. Add in some throws to build confidence instead of asking 18, 19, 20 year old kids to run an offense so complex, you have to cut it in half because the QB’s struggle learning the playbook.
UM has the defense to compete with anyone and return 6 or 7 all-B1G starters on defense.
It will come down to how the offense performs. They brought in a new OL coach and strip down the blocking schemes to simplify it, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

That being said — UNTIL UM proves they can win a big game game against a team like OSU — I just can’t pick them to win the B1G.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's referencing me and the admitted hype I'm heaping on the kid. He's going to be an upgrade at QB.
I agree. In Meyers offense, Haskins could be great. I still think he will make mistakes as new starters will, but I think the 200 yards rushing they will have each game can cover it up.

MikeMed

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,090.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this is Harbaugh's most talented group and they will be tough......They are not that far behind OHST and it will come down to who wins the game between them to see who plays WI in the B10 Championship game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt this is Harbaugh's most talented group and they will be tough......They are not that far behind OHST and it will come down to who wins the game between them to see who plays WI in the B10 Championship game.
Wisconsin is not a lock to come out of the West. Road games at michigan and Penn State could shake things up. Their margin of error is razor thin in the division.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope he’s a transfer so we will need another three years to get his guys in. If O’Korn doesn’t count as a Harbaugh recruit even though he stole him from Houston and Peters doesn’t count who actually was recruited by Harbaugh, why would Pattersen count?
4 years and he still hasn’t groomed his own QB. That’s more worrying than his conference record.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh has never won a major conference title or even a division title.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has the easiest schedule of the lot so they should be in the championship game.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has the easiest schedule of the lot so they should be in the championship game.
That is entirely not correct. You're confusing this year with last year.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is entirely not correct. You're confusing this year with last year.
You sure. This year they play Western KY, New Mexico and BYU out of conference and don't face Ohio State in conference.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure. This year they play Western KY, New Mexico and BYU out of conference and don't face Ohio State in conference.
Their 5 in-conference road games are against teams that finished last year a combined 44-21 with two of them ending up with double-digit win totals. They travel to michigan and Penn State across the division, and they face the 3 teams that finished right behind them in the West last season all on the road (and they nearly lost to two of them last year at home).

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their 5 in-conference road games are against teams that finished last year a combined 44-21 with two of them ending up with double-digit win totals. They travel to michigan and Penn State across the division, and they face the 3 teams that finished right behind them in the West last season all on the road (and they nearly lost to two of them last year at home).

Thank you for pointing that out. I have wanted to bring that up but it felt like too much homerism. If Wisconsin can go 11-1 against that schedule, it will be a fine season. I predicted 12-0 in the prediction thread, but it is just as likely they go 9-3.

Also, we never nearly lost any regular season game last. Close final scores perhaps, but never in danger of losing.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ohio State wins the Big 10. Their offense is stacked. I don't think Barrett will be missed. He was a deficiency in the passing game and Ohio State returns its top 7 pass catchers. They also have one of the best RB corps in the country.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for pointing that out. I have wanted to bring that up but it felt like too much homerism. If Wisconsin can go 11-1 against that schedule, it will be a fine season. I predicted 12-0 in the prediction thread, but it is just as likely they go 9-3.

Also, we never nearly lost any regular season game last. Close final scores perhaps, but never in danger of losing.
Oh yeah, Wisconsin has a hell of a road slate this year. Even with the dogshit OOC schedule, their in-conference won't be a cakewalk, and they don't even face the top 2 teams from the East from last season.

I don't know how you can say you weren't in danger of losing. NW had the ball down 1 TD in the final minute. Purdue turned it over at the Wisconsin 7 down by 8 in the 4th quarter. Those games were far from slam dunk wins for Wisconsin.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, Wisconsin has a hell of a road slate this year. Even with the dogshit OOC schedule, their in-conference won't be a cakewalk, and they don't even face the top 2 teams from the East from last season.

I don't know how you can say you weren't in danger of losing. NW had the ball down 1 TD in the final minute. Purdue turned it over at the Wisconsin 7 down by 8 in the 4th quarter. Those games were far from slam dunk wins for Wisconsin.

In neither of those games did the opponent have the ball with a chance to take the lead. NW came from 3 TDs down to get that close and the best Purdue could have done is tied the game with a 2-point conversion. By your thinking, tOSU almost lost to Wisconsin in the CCG.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In neither of those games did the opponent have the ball with a chance to take the lead. NW came from 3 TDs down to get that close and the best Purdue could have done is tied the game with a 2-point conversion. By your thinking, tOSU almost lost to Wisconsin in the CCG.
Sure, Wisconsin had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the 4th. OSU also left 3 TDs on the field thanks to JT Barrett's horrible lack of passing ability, but yeah.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, Wisconsin had the ball with a chance to take the lead in the 4th. OSU also left 3 TDs on the field thanks to JT Barrett's horrible lack of passing ability, but yeah.

Now using that logic, look at the game logs for the Purdue and Northwestern games.