• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope he never leaves!!

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will McClay has been integral to the Cowboys' success over the past few years, reading the article linked below definitely put a smile on my face.

Will McClay is a rising star but he’s happy as Cowboys’ chief scout

For all the crap Jerry the owner has received over the years, he deserves a lot of credit for the past 4-5 years. Seems to have built a rock solid coaching staff and front office. I know it's been a long time since we have been to the top of the mountain, but Jerry is partly responsible for 3 Super Bowls already, and looks geared up for another run at a few more. Stephen can't be forgotten in all of this, either.

And best of all, unlike the Jimmy Johnson years, the coaches and front office people seem to like and respect each other.

Great time to be a Cowboy fan.

Reactions: GNG

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree on McClay. This team has been built by McClay and Garrett lately. The player evaluations, the player development, the scouting of current NFL "lesser known" players that may fit here and even the draft day patience to generally stick to the draft board and believe in your board and don't panic or feel as if there are any "must haves" and remember that the next guy on the list may be just as good. As far as Jerry goes the best thing he is doing now is listening to these two and knowing he doesn't know as much as them and yielding the decisions to the group. Which is a big step for Jerry and what a good owner should do and really based on his trust in those around him.

Is it possible that as soon as McClay gets an offer to be GM (because he will get an offer) that Jerry gives him the title here?:hope: Hey, I still believe pigs could fly...

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree::10:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a matter of time before someone steals him away, hopefully his 2nd is learning much from McClay

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree on McClay. This team has been built by McClay and Garrett lately. The player evaluations, the player development, the scouting of current NFL "lesser known" players that may fit here and even the draft day patience to generally stick to the draft board and believe in your board and don't panic or feel as if there are any "must haves" and remember that the next guy on the list may be just as good. As far as Jerry goes the best thing he is doing now is listening to these two and knowing he doesn't know as much as them and yielding the decisions to the group. Which is a big step for Jerry and what a good owner should do and really based on his trust in those around him.

Is it possible that as soon as McClay gets an offer to be GM (because he will get an offer) that Jerry gives him the title here?:hope: Hey, I still believe pigs could fly...

Just my gut feeling, but I think there is a defined succession plan already in place. Once Jerry is ready to give it up and Stephen takes over as principal owner that McClay then becomes the official GM. Until then McClay is the defacto GM.

I think Jerry deserves a lot of credit for being able to make this all work. He was able to convince highly respected coaches in Marinelli and Linehan to take lesser positions prior to them receiving official coordinator titles. And remember when Linehan came on board there (seemingly) was tension between Garrett and Linehan, which was ultimately smoothed out. Not saying Jerry deserves all the credit, but he is running the show and these guys follow his lead.

Last edited:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a matter of time before someone steals him away, hopefully his 2nd is learning much from McClay

I don't know man. McClay got job offers last year and turned them down, and seems to be doing so again this year. I guarantee he received offers already this year.

You could be right, but I think McClay has his eyes on the horizon and not just tomorrow. Jerry won't be GM of the Dallas Cowboys forever - he's pushing 80.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know man. McClay got job offers last year and turned them down, and seems to be doing so again this year. I guarantee he received offers already this year.

You could be right, but I think McClay has his eyes on the horizon and not just tomorrow. Jerry won't be GM of the Dallas Cowboys forever - he's pushing 80.
Eventually someone will give him an offer too good to pass up. If it's just money Jerry can match, but it may come down to a location he prefers or a job title.
I don't know if any team has offered him a higher title than he currently has.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eventually someone will give him an offer too good to pass up. If it's just money Jerry can match, but it may come down to a location he prefers or a job title.
I don't know if any team has offered him a higher title than he currently has.

According to a few reports/stories I read last year, McClay was offered a GM position last year, and possibly more than one.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a few reports/stories I read last year, McClay was offered a GM position last year, and possibly more than one.
I have not heard this, but I could see it happening.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he did turn down Detroit.

My interpretation is he's going to honor his contract he signed. Of course it could be he'd rather wait for a better offer than moving to Detroit.

Think about it, would you want to move to Detroit or wait for a better offer a year later.

“I signed a deal last year and want to honor the commitment I made to the Cowboys and my family,” McClay said.
Will McClay to bypass GM interview chances

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely is a rising star and could be gone in the next few years. Any team with success has this problem.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his track record, Jerry could realize the franchise would be better off that way. If faced with the decision to keep McClay and make him GM or lose him and then have to find a different heir, I think Jerry will choose to give up that role to McClay.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his track record, Jerry could realize the franchise would be better off that way. If faced with the decision to keep McClay and make him GM or lose him and then have to find a different heir, I think Jerry will choose to give up that role to McClay.

As I posted earlier, I think there is a plan in place for McClay to eventually become the GM of the Dallas Cowboys - strictly my opinion and I base it on nothing other than comments from the principal parties and reading the tea leaves.

In the article that I linked, McClay directly says that he is committed to getting Jerry another Super Bowl title. I think once Jerry has that, or can no longer do the job, that McClay will be the guy. Jerry wants to go out on top, I think, and one more Super Bowl all these years later might be what he is waiting for.

But then again, Jerry seems to really enjoy what he's doing.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the crap Jerry the owner has received over the years, he deserves a lot of credit for the past 4-5 years.

I'm saving all my love for Jerry until after he passes away.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like he did turn down Detroit.

My interpretation is he's going to honor his contract he signed. Of course it could be he'd rather wait for a better offer than moving to Detroit.

Think about it, would you want to move to Detroit or wait for a better offer a year later.

“I signed a deal last year and want to honor the commitment I made to the Cowboys and my family,” McClay said.
Will McClay to bypass GM interview chances
He did. He said he talked to his little boy and he said ''Daddy, we gotta be a Cowboy''. Love it

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my gut feeling, but I think there is a defined succession plan already in place. Once Jerry is ready to give it up and Stephen takes over as principal owner that McClay then becomes the official GM. Until then McClay is the defacto GM.

I think Jerry deserves a lot of credit for being able to make this all work. He was able to convince highly respected coaches in Marinelli and Linehan to take lesser positions prior to them receiving official coordinator titles. And remember when Linehan came on board there (seemingly) was tension between Garrett and Linehan, which was ultimately smoothed out. Not saying Jerry deserves all the credit, but he is running the show and these guys follow his lead.
I do give Jerry some credit too. I think when Jerry does things like immediately take everyone on a plane to go see La'el Collins it really helps the Cowboys. And regardless of who scouts the player or makes the call on draft day...if Jerry doesn't agree to make the move it just does not happen. So every bad move he ultimately gets the blame and every good pick he ultimately needs to get credit for. The best thing he has done is started to listen more. He has compiled a great staff and he trusts in them and listens to their opinions.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to teach scouting. Yeah, you can teach techniques, discipline to the process and the such, but it's also one of those things that either you see it or you don't.