• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have to admit, was not thrilled about the line up, but this Spring....

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right... I'm wrong. Just ignore me.
SulkingReindeer0823.jpg

Saved you a spot with this reindeer so that you won't be alone when you're sulking.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clever photo.... Cute.

Rest assured, I'm not sulking over some odd dude online with a myopic stance on all things he chooses to believe.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Progress report time!

Matt Kemp - 1 HR (eep), 4.0 BB%, 22.3 K%, .269 wOBA, 73 wRC+, -0.5 WAR
Dee Gordon - 20 SB, 4.4 BB%, 13.8 K%, .363 wOBA, 128 wRC+, 2.8 WAR
Hanley Ramirez - 12 HR, 5.5 BB%, 14.5 K%, .333 wOBA, 110 wRC+, -0.5 WAR

Total: 13 HR, 27 SB, 1.8 WAR

Yasmani Grandal - 5 HR, 16.5 BB%, 18.7 K%, .384 wOBA, 149 wRC+, 1.2 WAR
Howie Kendrick - 5 HR, 7.9 BB%, 17.3 K%, .341 wOBA, 120 wRC+, 1.2 WAR
Jimmy Rollins - 6 HR, 9.0 BB%, 17.1 K%, .286 wOBA, 83 wRC+, 0.1 WAR
Joc Pederson - 16 HR, 15.8 BB%, 29.3 K%, .409 wOBA, 166 wRC+, 2.2 WAR

Total: 32 HR, 9 SB, 4.7 WAR

Subtract Joc, and you're still left with 16 HR, 7 SB, and 2.5 WAR.

===================

For the rest of the ballclub:

1st in WAR
1st in Home Runs
1st in OBP
1st in SLG
1st in OPS (duh)
1st in wOBA
1st in ISO
1st in wRC+
15th in BABIP (I love it)

That's what you call the best offense in baseball.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Progress report time!

Matt Kemp - 1 HR (eep), 4.0 BB%, 22.3 K%, .269 wOBA, 73 wRC+, -0.5 WAR
Dee Gordon - 20 SB, 4.4 BB%, 13.8 K%, .363 wOBA, 128 wRC+, 2.8 WAR
Hanley Ramirez - 12 HR, 5.5 BB%, 14.5 K%, .333 wOBA, 110 wRC+, -0.5 WAR

Total: 13 HR, 27 SB, 1.8 WAR

Yasmani Grandal - 5 HR, 16.5 BB%, 18.7 K%, .384 wOBA, 149 wRC+, 1.2 WAR
Howie Kendrick - 5 HR, 7.9 BB%, 17.3 K%, .341 wOBA, 120 wRC+, 1.2 WAR
Jimmy Rollins - 6 HR, 9.0 BB%, 17.1 K%, .286 wOBA, 83 wRC+, 0.1 WAR
Joc Pederson - 16 HR, 15.8 BB%, 29.3 K%, .409 wOBA, 166 wRC+, 2.2 WAR

Total: 32 HR, 9 SB, 4.7 WAR

Subtract Joc, and you're still left with 16 HR, 7 SB, and 2.5 WAR.

===================

For the rest of the ballclub:

1st in WAR
1st in Home Runs
1st in OBP
1st in SLG
1st in OPS (duh)
1st in wOBA
1st in ISO
1st in wRC+
15th in BABIP (I love it)

That's what you call the best offense in baseball.
Wow, this team gets on base at an unreal, unsustainable rate. Scary good numbers. However (sabermatricians nightmare), pitching is our long term issue that needs a resolution. Because the best offense in baseball can produce 0 runs for 45 innings, get shut out 4 games in a row and nearly set a club record for scoreless consecutive innings on the road. Pitching needs to be consistent to carry the offense through lulls.

This weekend series against the Birds should be fascinating.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this team gets on base at an unreal, unsustainable rate. Scary good numbers. However (sabermatricians nightmare), pitching is our long term issue that needs a resolution. Because the best offense in baseball can produce 0 runs for 45 innings, get shut out 4 games in a row and nearly set a club record for scoreless consecutive innings on the road. Pitching needs to be consistent to carry the offense through lulls.

This weekend series against the Birds should be fascinating.

The league average BABIP means that they aren't getting on base at an unsustainable rate, actually. The Dodgers led MLB in OBP last year, too.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the season long average. The first month skews those numbers significantly imo. What have those stats been in relation to the rest of the league over the last month?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the season long average. The first month skews those numbers significantly imo. What have those stats been in relation to the rest of the league over the last month?
That's my point as well...

And to take it a step further, the Dodgers are leading in so many batting categories but are only a half game up and 7 games over .500

Stats are a guide but so many facets to what makes good teams good.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And to take it a step further, the Dodgers are leading in so many batting categories but are only a half game up and 7 games over .500

I tend to look at stats like bikinis.

I know I have said this before....but for redundancy sake.

"Stats are like Bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive. What they conceal is vital."

In this case, those waving the banner of the season long stats (I really do not give a shit if it is the new wave moneyball stats), they are not really revealing what they have been since they took off on such a torrid pace. Those stats, are still skewing what they actually are imo.

Right now, and for the last month, you cannot tell me the Dodgers offense is top 5 in MLB. In fact, they have been embarrassingly and predictably ordinary.

We can do the popular thing and blame Mattingly. Fine. He shall be the scapegoat. Whatever.

I am trying to figure out what the formula the Giants have used to win three damn rings in the last 5 years.

THREE!!!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to look at stats like bikinis.

I know I have said this before....but for redundancy sake.

"Stats are like Bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive. What they conceal is vital."

In this case, those waving the banner of the season long stats (I really do not give a shit if it is the new wave moneyball stats), they are not really revealing what they have been since they took off on such a torrid pace. Those stats, are still skewing what they actually are imo.

Right now, and for the last month, you cannot tell me the Dodgers offense is top 5 in MLB. In fact, they have been embarrassingly and predictably ordinary.

We can do the popular thing and blame Mattingly. Fine. He shall be the scapegoat. Whatever.

I am trying to figure out what the formula the Giants have used to win three damn rings in the last 5 years.

THREE!!!
Exactly, there are so many dimensions to running a major league franchise successfully. Baseball (dodger fans specifically) have tapped into stats as the alternative to dealing with the reality: the Giants have a winning formula. Instead, we use these stats that say: it's just baseball of bad luck.

Well, bad luck and it's just baseball are loser terms but there is a reason why the Cardinals have won so many WS in the past decade.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a stat guy, I love stats, but they aren't the end all, be all that some people go by! All these new stats are for stat geeks, this guy hits better after 8:00 on Monday's than he does on Thursday's, unless it's against a Lefthander that is pitching on 3 days rest on the East coast in the spring, and his fastball averages 88mph. I'm all for trying to find an edge against teams, but some of these
stats are ridicuolous!

Stats are what they are, it's a guide, I know people will say this .300 hitter is a better hitter than that guy hitting .280, in most cases that's probably true. But over the course of a 500 at bat season that .300 hitter only had 10 more hits than the guy that hit .280, for all we know the .300 hitter may have had a few more seeing eye singles or bloop singles than the .280 guy

Baseball is the most stat driven sport, it's interesting to look at stats, but they don't necessarily tell you the whole picture. As I've mentioned to a certain other poster ERA may not be the best way to measure a pitcher, but I think it tells you more about a pitchers ability than a Won-Loss record or how many guys he can strikeout! But at the same time guys with 300 wins also means that they stuck around for awhile and were the better pitchers of their era. Kershaw could have a ton more wins based on his ERA, but wins and losses for pitchers also come down to their offense helping them or not! So ERA does mean something, it means you either kept your team in the game and gave them a chance or you didn't!

As far as the argument of the Dodgers being the best offense in the league, ya the stats say so, but that doesn't mean they are, as we have said they are beating up on teams with losing records and struggling against the better pitching staffs, and we haven't even faced Washington yet, and actually the Cubs rotation looks pretty solid, we will see.

I still think the Dodgers are on of the better teams in the league and all we have to do is get to the playoffs, then it's just a matter of who gets hot and who gets the breaks

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are aware that the first third of the season stats (the ones that have the Dodgers' offense ranked at the top of almost every category) include only 11 games of Puig, right? Crawford has been hurt most of the time, too. Still, the best offense. Puig is back and you're not expecting this offensive trend to continue?

You make a thread saying you're worried about the offense. I tell you the projections suggest that the offense will be fine. The regular season results are showing the projections to be accurate. You guys are still not happy with it.

It blows my mind that you'd rather be pessimistic than optimistic.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are aware that the first third of the season stats (the ones that have the Dodgers' offense ranked at the top of almost every category) include only 11 games of Puig, right? Crawford has been hurt most of the time, too. Still, the best offense. Puig is back and you're not expecting this offensive trend to continue?

You make a thread saying you're worried about the offense. I tell you the projections suggest that the offense will be fine. The regular season results are showing the projections to be accurate. You guys are still not happy with it.

It blows my mind that you'd rather be pessimistic than optimistic.

This offense over the last month sucks.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only two NL teams had a better wRC+ than the Dodgers in May.
Runs created (adjusted to ballpark) was 3rd in the league and the Dodgers went 16-12 in May. Not bad, not great.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Runs created (adjusted to ballpark) was 3rd in the league and the Dodgers went 16-12 in May. Not bad, not great.
Now who is Captain Obvious...?

And you said there's no way around the fact that the offense sucked. It was 3rd in the league! No Puig. No Van Slyke. No Crawford. Grandal out for a week.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had flashes of brillance, but their glaring weakness is the bullpen. You can get by with just two quality starters, but if your bullpen is in shambles, forget it. Whatever happened with Matt Latos? When he came up with the Padres, he was dynamite. He has completely gone downhill the past three or four years.