• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I have to admit, was not thrilled about the line up, but this Spring....

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner is unproven as an everyday player but I like how Mattingly is giving them both AB's so far in the early part season. I think if they share 3rd base in order to keep each other healthy throughout 162 games then it could definitely work better than Uribe getting all the playing time.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're having early season overreactions, I'd like to point out where the Dodgers lineup currently ranks in a few categories:

Home Runs - 1st in NL
wRC+ - 1st in NL
OBP - 1st in NL
SLG - 1st in NL
OPS - 1st in NL (Obviously...)
ISO - 1st in NL
wOBA - 1st in NL (tied with Rockies)
WAR - 1st in the NL
BB/K - 1st in the NL

040815_agone_3hrs_mid_res_xia3cxr9.gif

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While we're having early season overreactions, I'd like to point out where the Dodgers lineup currently ranks in a few categories:

Home Runs - 1st in NL
wRC+ - 1st in NL
OBP - 1st in NL
SLG - 1st in NL
OPS - 1st in NL (Obviously...)
ISO - 1st in NL
wOBA - 1st in NL (tied with Rockies)
WAR - 1st in the NL
BB/K - 1st in the NL

040815_agone_3hrs_mid_res_xia3cxr9.gif
Not even worth a dialogue considering the sample size - the data means nothing considering.

I will watch the BB/K closely. That to me has a lot to do with plate approach. Something this team has lacked for 27 years.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even worth a dialogue considering the sample size - the data means nothing considering.

This whole thread is about overreactions.

I will watch the BB/K closely. That to me has a lot to do with plate approach. Something this team has lacked for 27 years.

2014: 6th in MLB, 2nd in NL
2013: 13th in MLB, 4th in NL
2012: 26th in MLB, 13th in NL

Dodgers are 6th overrall this year.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One month into the season, and the Dodgers are the MLB leader in:

Home Runs
wOBA
SLG
wRC+
ISO

Most of the stats that the Dodgers aren't the best in, you'll find an American League team (and, maybe you'll remember that the AL uses the DH). If you boil it down to just NL teams, the Dodgers are the leader in just about everything.

So far the only NL teams to produce lineups that are remotely close to being rivals to the Dodgers are the Rockies and the Reds. You know, the two teams that play their home games in the easiest ballparks for hitters.

Last edited:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how well the offense and bullpen has performed lately, safe to say this year's squad is better than last year's? They'll only get better from here as they create better chemistry with each other as the season goes on.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering how well the offense and bullpen has performed lately, safe to say this year's squad is better than last year's? They'll only get better from here as they create better chemistry with each other as the season goes on.
We will know more by early June.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will know more by early June.
NL West Standings as of...

June 1, 2014
SFG: 38-20
LAD: 30-28 - 8 games back
COL: 28-29 - 9.5 games back
SDP: 26-31 - 11.5 games back
ARI: 23-36 - 15.5 games back

June 1, 2013
ARI: 31-24
COL: 29-27 - 2.5 games back
SFG: 29-27 - 2.5 games back
SDP: 26-29 - 5 games back
LAD: 23-31 - 7.5 games back

In case you've forgotten, the Dodgers won the division both of those years.

June 1, 2012
LAD: 32-20
SFG: 28-24 - 4 games back
ARI: 23-29 - 9 games back
COL: 22-29 - 9.5 games back
SDP: 18-35 - 14.5 games back

The Giants won the division 8 games ahead of the Dodgers, who missed the playoffs.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if Jimmy Rollins was not a part of the equation, considering how lousy he has looked.

Then again, Gonzalez jumped out at such a torrid pace, that it evens things out. Joc pederson is certainly looking like the real deal and that is really looking good. Ethier looks like he is playing as motivated as ever, which gives the Dodgers a "good problem." What are they going to do with him? I think he needs to be in there over Crawford when Crawford gets back.

Things are looking good considering they will be getting guys back like Puig and Jansen.

Looking good.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins is doing worse than almost all of his career and single-season percentages. For most of them, it's not a small difference. To me, that indicates that he's in a slump and that it would be reasonable to expect him to regress to the mean.

In other words, he'll probably get better as the season goes on.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Rollins is doing worse than almost all of his career and single-season percentages. For most of them, it's not a small difference. To me, that indicates that he's in a slump and that it would be reasonable to expect him to regress to the mean.

In other words, he'll probably get better as the season goes on.

Yeah, you would think. Nice to see Grandal doing so well. That is for sure.

The organization is going to need to make a decision about Rollins imo pretty soon though. He is a real liability in the line up right now, and I would prefer Turner to be in there.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you would think. Nice to see Grandal doing so well. That is for sure.

The organization is going to need to make a decision about Rollins imo pretty soon though. He is a real liability in the line up right now, and I would prefer Turner to be in there.
They already made their decision. He's the starting shortstop. Unless he gets injured, the only person he'll lose that job to is Corey Seager. Don't bet on that happening soon.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NL West Standings as of...

June 1, 2014
SFG: 38-20
LAD: 30-28 - 8 games back
COL: 28-29 - 9.5 games back
SDP: 26-31 - 11.5 games back
ARI: 23-36 - 15.5 games back

June 1, 2013
ARI: 31-24
COL: 29-27 - 2.5 games back
SFG: 29-27 - 2.5 games back
SDP: 26-29 - 5 games back
LAD: 23-31 - 7.5 games back

In case you've forgotten, the Dodgers won the division both of those years.

June 1, 2012
LAD: 32-20
SFG: 28-24 - 4 games back
ARI: 23-29 - 9 games back
COL: 22-29 - 9.5 games back
SDP: 18-35 - 14.5 games back

The Giants won the division 8 games ahead of the Dodgers, who missed the playoffs.

Standings in June do not mean much to me. For example, Kershaw missed the entire month of April in 2014. Meanwhile, he was the league's MVP based upon the amount of games he literally won on his own. Without Kershaw, we do not make the playoffs last year.

In 2013, Puig ignited the team post June 1st and they went on unprecedented run.

What I could tell you in late May/early June of 2013/2014 was this team was not built for playoff baseball. Last season it was the terrible bullpen, awful plate approach and a starting rotation that was weary.

Both years in the playoffs the Dodgers did not belong on the field with the Cardinals - no idea how to situationally hit and no bullpen to spell the rotation.

This season - you have to love the offensive production. But regular season home runs do not win playoff games. Once you face a pitcher like Bumgarner 2-3 times in a series, homers are negated and it's about the "war of attrition" aspects that win games: Flawless defense, excellent starting pitching, timely hits, plate approach, situational understanding, good managing etc. If this team can shore up it's fourth starter, Ryu comes back effective and Jansen is okay (no reason he should not be) this team is superior to last years. Still some major unknowns as it relates to the rotation and ability to produce on marquee pitchers outside of the long ball utilizing plate approach and situational hitting. Appears the Giants and Cardinals are starting right where they left off last year....

What I frickin' love this year: Managements understanding that the regular season is a marathon. Giving Ryu time, not pressing Jansen to return or Puig for that matter. Building depth in the farm system and bench via trades and free agency. Shuffling pitchers in and out daily etc. Last years team was gassed. Hopefully this year they will be fresher for the playoffs.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And did I say anything that intimated that in early June their record will determine my opinion of this team?

Look, you're grasping for meaning when other people have opinions contrarian to your own. You can continue to dig deep in your beliefs right or wrong, put words in other people's posts that are not there and post clever video clips to make your "reaches and false assumptions" come off as not entirely baseless. Have at it.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And did I say anything that intimated that in early June their record will determine my opinion of this team?

Look, you're grasping for meaning when other people have opinions contrarian to your own. You can continue to dig deep in your beliefs right or wrong, put words in other people's posts that are not there and post clever video clips to make your "reaches and false assumptions" come off as not entirely baseless. Have at it.
You say one thing and then you move the goal posts when the facts say another. Also, I don't know why you put "reaches and false assumptions" in quotes. That's not a thing I've ever said. Who are you quoting?

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say one thing and then you move the goal posts when the facts say another. Also, I don't know why you put "reaches and false assumptions" in quotes. That's not a thing I've ever said. Who are you quoting?

You're right... I'm wrong. Just ignore me.