• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2017 Season

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively- If they bring the mentality they had against Oregon, Love will get his yards, but as long as they go into lock down mode in the red zone they will be just fine. ( I actually expect them to blitz just like last year)

Offense- keep pounding the rock, I think they can beat Stanford on the outside, Gaskin will beat them to the corner, come back and let Coleman pound the inside and then you open up the play action....

I think that Love (accidentally typed Luck, lol) may be a bit of a different animal than Royce Freeman. Sure, Freeman and the Ducks did get their yardage, but they didn't break off any big runs against the Huskies. Love has like 9+ games or something crazy like that with a TD run of 50+ yards.

If you can stop the big yardage plays, I think we will have success.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salvon Ahmed may not be a natural WR, but he's extremely explosive with the ball in his hands and there is a reason he has been seeing so much playing time despite being a true freshman. They have used him on some reverse plays similar to how they did with Chico, but I'd like to see them maybe get a bit more creative with him on offense. The Huskies are really lacking depth there behind Pettis.
Yeah, we talked about this in another thread. They are moving slowly with him in terms of the diversity of plays they are giving him. It's a lot to ask to use him in the passing game so early on when he's still just getting solid in the few plays they use him on. But I'd still put him out and show them the vert with him and intentionally over throw it to him just to move the safeties back and allow more running lanes. Still give him his legit 6-10 touches and also have him out for misdirection purposes to move the extra help off Pettis and move the back end off the line to aid the rest of your running game.

He's going to be a force in future years for sure. Can't add too much too soon though and a tough road game isn't the place to really add that new stuff.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just contain their ground game. It's that easy, go do it. Ready, break.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's that cut and dry. Depends on what rule and how deep it was. Peters also wasn't buying in and probably wasn't going to cooperate and fight his way back.

Victor lost his slot to his backup and got moved to a spot where they lacked depth and now is playing out of his best position because of it. I get all of that, but damn. He's such a force out there. Shame to not have him in many plays.

I have to assume if he was still playing at a high level, he could've worked his way back on the field. I'd imagine they'd just give him another suspension or something if it was a violation of team rules.

As I've mentioned, I've never recovered from a serious injury before. We frequently see NFL players like Jimmy Graham, Adrian Peterson and Earl Thomas return from terrible injuries, but this could be a different case. Maybe he was never able to regain his form. Also, Ben Burr-Kirven has really stepped it up this year so we haven't really missed him much. You also have to take into consideration that the safeties have played a role in the run game as well.

It's kind of interesting, because I also remember in the preseason I didn't hear much about him either. Either way, I'm not all that concerned about it since his production has been replaced.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Love (accidentally typed Luck, lol) may be a bit of a different animal than Royce Freeman. Sure, Freeman and the Ducks did get their yardage, but they didn't break off any big runs against the Huskies. Love has like 9+ games or something crazy like that with a TD run of 50+ yards.

If you can stop the big yardage plays, I think we will have success.
I watched most of the game again last night and was kind of baffled at what UW was doing on defense, but it did keep the explosive plays in check. They weren't lining up in typical run schemes. They threw a lot of zone looks at them. Ducks really could have taken advantage of some of those looks had they even tried to pass the ball. Looked like almost every time the ducks had trips outside UW lined up 2 and shaded a LB that way daring them to run screens or actually do pass plays out of it.

They got away with their scheme because their QB is hot dog shit right now. Can't run these same looks against Stanford. It will be a very very different day for that unit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we talked about this in another thread. They are moving slowly with him in terms of the diversity of plays they are giving him. It's a lot to ask to use him in the passing game so early on when he's still just getting solid in the few plays they use him on. But I'd still put him out and show them the vert with him and intentionally over throw it to him just to move the safeties back and allow more running lanes. Still give him his legit 6-10 touches and also have him out for misdirection purposes to move the extra help off Pettis and move the back end off the line to aid the rest of your running game.

He's going to be a force in future years for sure. Can't add too much too soon though and a tough road game isn't the place to really add that new stuff.

I noticed they were somewhat using him similar to how they did with Chico; putting him in the slot, putting him in motion then handing it off to him on a reverse play.

I'm really, really, excited about Ahmed. He has managed to play his way on to the field as a true freshman in an already super deep UW backfield. It makes me not really worry all that much about Coleman graduating and the possibility Gaskin might go pro.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched most of the game again last night and was kind of baffled at what UW was doing on defense, but it did keep the explosive plays in check. They weren't lining up in typical run schemes. They threw a lot of zone looks at them. Ducks really could have taken advantage of some of those looks had they even tried to pass the ball. Looked like almost every time the ducks had trips outside UW lined up 2 and shaded a LB that way daring them to run screens or actually do pass plays out of it.

They got away with their scheme because their QB is hot dog shit right now. Can't run these same looks against Stanford. It will be a very very different day for that unit.

I haven't re-watched the game, but I was getting really frustrated during that first drive because Oregon was either just running the option or a WR screen down the field. It was incredibly basic and I felt we weren't making adjustments. It was kind of hard to see how the defense was lining up because I was in the student section and they were driving towards the east end zone.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but Petersen had no obligation to Peters, ( Sark kid) Victor on the other hand played his balls off last year for Pete to make that defense a Top 10 and playoff team, plus his injury late last year......

True, and I have to imagine that Azeem Victor is not even 1/5 the head case that Peters is.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, even if they wanted to try the same looks, Stanford isn't gonna be lining up in spread formations much.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed they were somewhat using him similar to how they did with Chico; putting him in the slot, putting him in motion then handing it off to him on a reverse play.

I'm really, really, excited about Ahmed. He has managed to play his way on to the field as a true freshman in an already super deep UW backfield. It makes me not really worry all that much about Coleman graduating and the possibility Gaskin might go pro.
Two of their best plays of the game were because he was on that field Saturday.

The fake reverse to him by Gaskin that went for a TD froze at least 5 of the defenders. It was an example of how even the threat of speed can kill a D.

The run he had for a TD was a lot on him. He had several cuts and just exploded after each shift. His vision has been impressive for a true frosh. That late run that they stopped him short, the one last week that had a penalty and came back, He's been doing it nearly every time he gets a step or small seam.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't re-watched the game, but I was getting really frustrated during that first drive because Oregon was either just running the option or a WR screen down the field. It was incredibly basic and I felt we weren't making adjustments. It was kind of hard to see how the defense was lining up because I was in the student section and they were driving towards the east end zone.
I cant think of a game this year, outside of OSU, where the other team didn't drive on their first possession.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked like a lot of cover 2 and saw some cover 1 robber stuff a few times. They weren't stuffing the box by any means which is at least partially why it seemed Freeman was going to get an automatic 5+y every time he touched it. They swarmed to the ball carrier quite well and didn't bite on many fakes, but the misdirection was keeping them out of the backfield quite a bit.

With a QB that bad I don't get why they wouldn't stay in cover 1 more and just dare them to hit you in the passing game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, even if they wanted to try the same looks, Stanford isn't gonna be lining up in spread formations much.
Yeah, that's why this worries me even if the D has been great all year. It's a very different run game to defend with the lead blocking back and two TE sets.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure this has been mentioned, but:

i

Assuming the Huskies play in the conference championship and a bowl game, Gaskin has 5 more games to break Kaufman's all time record. He is 513 yards away from tying. Gaskin has averaged 102 yards per game this season, so if he keeps up this pace, he will be very close.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant think of a game this year, outside of OSU, where the other team didn't drive on their first possession.
That's why I wasn't worried in the least when the ducks marched down and got that opening FG and looked like they were still moving the ball well in their second drive before that turnover.

Also won't panic in this one if Ferd has strong drives early. This D makes adjustments unlike any team I can remember.

No matter how hard of a task it is to change up for this run game, they WILL make adjustments. Just can't let them get too much early because I don't have a lot of faith in the road offense and you can't rely on FG's.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just contain their ground game. It's that easy, go do it. Ready, break.
Same plan as last year, similar results. Stanford is too one dimensional for UW's, a beat down is sure to ensue.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same plan as last year, similar results. Stanford is too one dimensional for UW's, a beat down is sure to ensue.
I agree. They made McCaffrey their little bitch last year. Stanford isn't any better this year. It being on the road is my only concern. Seems to do weird shit sometimes. Throw in it's a Friday night game, everyone's right to be a little concerned.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again I have no idea what is going on with Victors so I am just kinda taken a shot in the dark here I could be very wrong! :herbie:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I think this is the longest we have spent time in here!
Exciting time to be a dawg for sure. No need to litter up the Pac12 thread with homer shit and a lot has been going on to actually talk about.

This is the week I had circled in the off season that would tell us what kind of team you had for the stretch run and possible shot at the playoffs. And after that ASU loss the pucker factor is even higher now.