• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hundley getting better every week

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is. He's gaining confidence and if McCarthy keeps easing him into the qb role and the defense doesn't crap their pants on every damn 3rd and long (a long shot, I know) I think the Packers have a playoff shot.

2 of the next 3 are winnable home games and could put them at 7-5, assuming they lose in Pittsburgh.

Just trying to find some sort of silver lining with 7 games left.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I wasn’t able to watch the game today but I did he him throw a couple of dimes to Adams

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sold on him yet. I would like to see him succeed against a better defense before I make any opinion one way or the other.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was to see more of course this Bears defense is not bad. Held ATL to 23 points, Pitt to 17 and the Panthers to 3.

Hundley made some great throws in that game. The late third down conversion to Adams was a perfectly thrown ball.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I was to see more of course this Bears defense is not bad. Held ATL to 23 points, Pitt to 17 and the Panthers to 3.

Hundley made some great throws in that game. The late third down conversion to Adams was a perfectly thrown ball.

Even from game 1, Hundley has had a pretty strong and accurate arm. Where he falters is primarily his 1) defense reading, 2) timing and 3) decision making.

1) He's on par with Trubisky regarding pre-snap reads and control of the offense at the line of scrimmage - and that's disappointing considering Hundley has been in this offense for three years.

2) Specifically, I can think of at least four balls he threw yesterday that were late coming out of his hand. A big difference between where Hundley is right now and an NFL QB is that an NFL QB anticipates route breaks and throws the ball BEFORE the break, not after.

3) He still hasn't figured out when to take off running or throw for yardage on broken plays. And when he does run, he needs to do a much better job of sliding and avoiding hits.

All that said, he has improved a little each game. I think McCarthy is still handcuffing him some with the play calling, though. Gotta trust him to throw on first down.

Reactions: DJ

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sold on him yet. I would like to see him succeed against a better defense before I make any opinion one way or the other.

The Bears D is pretty solid. Not top 10 but certainly better than most people give them credit for.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bears defense and run game are the strength of that team. The only wins they have had have come from defensive plays. The Bears actually do have a top 10 defense ranked 9th over all being 10th in pass defense which Hundley just went against and the rush D for the Bears is ranked 16th for a 9th over all ranking so it was nice to them to be able to move the ball with a good running attack and decent passing against a top 10 pass defense.

The key to the game was to take away the Bears strength which was running the ball and try to make the Bears win by beating the Pack with the pass. The Packer run D stepped up and held the Bears to 55 yards rushing. The Bears rushing offense is ranked 8th in the league averaging 121 yards per game.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears defense and run game are the strength of that team. The only wins they have had have come from defensive plays. The Bears actually do have a top 10 defense ranked 9th over all being 10th in pass defense which Hundley just went against and the rush D for the Bears is ranked 16th for a 9th over all ranking so it was nice to them to be able to move the ball with a good running attack and decent passing against a top 10 pass defense.

The key to the game was to take away the Bears strength which was running the ball and try to make the Bears win by beating the Pack with the pass. The Packer run D stepped up and held the Bears to 55 yards rushing. The Bears rushing offense is ranked 8th in the league averaging 121 yards per game.

The Bears D is pretty solid. Not top 10 but certainly better than most people give them credit for.

The 3rd down throw to Adams surprised me. One thing that helped Hundley was Williams. That dude was running like a man possessed. He was making defenders pay for tackling him. If he keeps running like that he will open it up for Hundley. The defense on the other hand........Their problem is just themselves which i hold the coaching staff directly responsible for. I dont see the defense getting better until Capers is gone.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3rd down throw to Adams surprised me. One thing that helped Hundley was Williams. That dude was running like a man possessed. He was making defenders pay for tackling him. If he keeps running like that he will open it up for Hundley. The defense on the other hand........Their problem is just themselves which i hold the coaching staff directly responsible for. I dont see the defense getting better until Capers is gone.

The run D played as well as they have all season as under 60 yards against one of the top rushing offenses is a good day. The pass defense does need work but they did get a bit more pressure with 5 sacks but allowed close to 300 yards when their average against per game is about 250.

On a side note in the Bears previous 2 games before the Packers they held the Panthers to 3 points and the Saints to 20 points. And the Packers put 23 on them

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The run D played as well as they have all season as under 60 yards against one of the top rushing offenses is a good day. The pass defense does need work but they did get a bit more pressure with 5 sacks but allowed close to 300 yards when their average against per game is about 250.

On a side note in the Bears previous 2 games before the Packers they held the Panthers to 3 points and the Saints to 20 points. And the Packers put 23 on them

No denying it was a good effort by the defense. I still believe one of the issues is Capers defensive scheme along with injuries but they cant put it all together on a consistent basis.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Capers is overall a good DC but his message is bland. I think a separation will be good for both parties.

Reactions: GNG

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Capers is overall a good DC but his message is bland. I think a separation will be good for both parties.

I don't know how true it is but i have also heard the players having a hard time with his scheme which would explain the communication problems and blown assignments.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers defense allowed over 300 yards to a poor Bears offense.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how true it is but i have also heard the players having a hard time with his scheme which would explain the communication problems and blown assignments.
Capers has been the main problem in Green Bay the past 5 seasons.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think other factors come in to play but i feel the same way.
It's incredible that the Packers have only been to one SB despite having Rodgers at QB.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,101.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts:

Loved the kid when he was at UCLA.....he's not the most out spoken person (kind of passive actually) but he had his best game so far last week. Against a solid Bears defense.....he needs to be allowed to throw the ball down field, it's not like the Pack don't have playmakers......surprising (to me, at least) McCarthy kept the gameplan very basic the first few games.....the 4 INT game was definitely an aberration. The kid may never be a good to great QB but he can definitely be a game manager/average player.....the Pack are just treading water......

PS: Is Rodgers done for the season or could he return in the post-season?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts:

Loved the kid when he was at UCLA.....he's not the most out spoken person (kind of passive actually) but he had his best game so far last week. Against a solid Bears defense.....he needs to be allowed to throw the ball down field, it's not like the Pack don't have playmakers......surprising (to me, at least) McCarthy kept the gameplan very basic the first few games.....the 4 INT game was definitely an aberration. The kid may never be a good to great QB but he can definitely be a game manager/average player.....the Pack are just treading water......

PS: Is Rodgers done for the season or could he return in the post-season?

I'm pretty sure the earliest he could return is week 16 against Minnesota (the team that knocked him out).

Reactions: DJ

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even from game 1, Hundley has had a pretty strong and accurate arm. Where he falters is primarily his 1) defense reading, 2) timing and 3) decision making.

1) He's on par with Trubisky regarding pre-snap reads and control of the offense at the line of scrimmage - and that's disappointing considering Hundley has been in this offense for three years.

2) Specifically, I can think of at least four balls he threw yesterday that were late coming out of his hand. A big difference between where Hundley is right now and an NFL QB is that an NFL QB anticipates route breaks and throws the ball BEFORE the break, not after.

3) He still hasn't figured out when to take off running or throw for yardage on broken plays. And when he does run, he needs to do a much better job of sliding and avoiding hits.

All that said, he has improved a little each game. I think McCarthy is still handcuffing him some with the play calling, though. Gotta trust him to throw on first down.

I'm in agreement with you on all this, I'll just add that to you first point, he and Trubisky are basically even when it comes to seeing live NFL action. Hundley has played well in a couple of preseasons, but if that was all it took to start then Taysom Hill would still be in Green Bay IMO.

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can somewhat buy this, considering how young they are overall and the number of backups they seem to throw in all the time.