• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How will expansion impact VT?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am being a downer here - not trying to be by any means. But I feel that if the SEC does raid the ACC and VT is still in the ACC (does not get invited to the SEC), our conference weakens and we are screwed. Thinking we have a chance to get to the NC will be a thing of the past.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the only way for the ACC to come out as good as it was before, if not better, is to bend over backwards for Notre Dame. I don't like putting a team on a pedestal like that, but ND could save the ACC from expansion if they join.

The Big 10 can take their time with ND and not be held hostage, but the ACC's TV deal is not finalized and could face problems if teams are picked at will like the Big 12 was. Even if ND is an odd number 13, we can add teams from the Big East later, but the only expansion that works in favor for the ACC is to add a big name and the only realistic team to come to the ACC would be ND. The sad part is that it is not that realistic to begin with unless we make ND the perfect offer (if it even exists).

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC "raids" the ACC, VT will be the first to be invited. Count on it.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ goDAWGSsicem:

Do you think the SEC will act if the PAC10 extends its membership to 14-16 teams? What are you hearing in your neck of the woods?

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC wants to keep the staus quo (stay 12 teams).

But if a 14-16 team "super conference" seems iminent, and poses a threat to SEC dominance, then the SEC will expand.

From what I hear, Texas, of coarse, is at the top of the wish list with Texas A&M (been talking for months) and Virginia Tech close behind.

I also heard grumbling about Texas & Oklahoma going to the SEC, but I think that is more of a Big 12 rumor.

Right now the SEC commish is keeping a tight lip, but I know he has a plan and I'm sure there are secret conversations happening as we speak.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the ACC and SEC will stay the course as 12 team conferences for now. The SEC does not need to do anything for a competitive edge as they have been kicking everyones ass already anyway, and the ACC and SEC both have huge, lucrative new deals with ESPN/ABC.

The ACC MAY scoop up a member or two from the Big East ruions, especially if Maryland gets picked up by the Big Ten. Pitt, UCONN and Syracuse all fit. If Pitt was smart, they would jump at an ACC offer over a Big Ten one because they need to thiunk about the future. Do they want to be associated witht he dying rust belt or the emerging mid-atlantic, 10-20 years from now.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now that the hoax that was "conference armageddon" is over, how about this idea:

This thing is all about TV and money, namely the Big Ten Network. However, why mess with tradition and strength for a media market or an outlier? Instead of an ACC or SEC network, why not a combined network?

No expansion needed (unless an elitle Big East, Big 12, or Big Ten team shakes loose as a steal)
No identity change (The PAC will change big with the addition of two marginal programs)
The best football in America in the SEC
The best basketball in America in the ACC
Two of the top baseball conferences
Elite programs in the non-revs to anchor fill in time (WBB, Lax, Soccer, etc.)
Rivals, both within each conference and between.

This combination would actually be pretty tough to run out of programming, and ESPN has the opportunity with both conferences locked up already. Maybe ESPN U turns into this.