• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How to handle talent gaps in your party

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two people in our group hit mid 80's regularly, the other two are 100-110. I can't imagine it is fun for the more experienced golfers to watch me and the other guy make bad approach shots and 3 put every hole. I have recommended they go as a twosome and get paired with other players, but they don't want to split the group. So while I am working to close the gap is it better to play best ball so they can enjoy it a little more, or will that stunt my development and slow the process of me catching up.

Eventually I will catch up to the other 2, just trying to find a way to not burn out the whole group before I get there.

DUB

Once A Champ, Always A Champ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid post. Good to see you care about the overall group play too. I've been in this situation plenty of times.

A few options to think about (depends on you guys of course.)
1. Can only play to a triple i.e on par 3 worse you can do is triple bogey a 6. Once you hit that number pick up the ball. This keeps pace of play moving and you still got 6 hits at it.

2. Handicap for the round thus the better players still need to stay focused to beat you guys but like you stated if you are having a 110 round the delay in play for them could still effect everyone.

3. I've been in a group friend play which the 2 worse players do play best ball in the round. It's a good way to keep pace and instead of the two worse players playing crap shots or lies you can stay positive and enjoy hitting and learning from solid position a lot more often.

Those 3 are all ones that I have been involved in. I prefer option 1 or 3 when playing with guys that shoot in the 100's.

-DUB-

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid post. Good to see you care about the overall group play too. I've been in this situation plenty of times.

A few options to think about (depends on you guys of course.)
1. Can only play to a triple i.e on par 3 worse you can do is triple bogey a 6. Once you hit that number pick up the ball. This keeps pace of play moving and you still got 6 hits at it.

2. Handicap for the round thus the better players still need to stay focused to beat you guys but like you stated if you are having a 110 round the delay in play for them could still effect everyone.

3. I've been in a group friend play which the 2 worse players do play best ball in the round. It's a good way to keep pace and instead of the two worse players playing crap shots or lies you can stay positive and enjoy hitting and learning from solid position a lot more often.

Those 3 are all ones that I have been involved in. I prefer option 1 or 3 when playing with guys that shoot in the 100's.

-DUB-

I like the idea of me and the other 100 player playing best ball. We have been joining one of the good players with one of the worse players and basically treating it like doubles. It can be fun, but unless you are the first on the course you spend a lot of time waiting that way.

Reactions: DUB

DUB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have played when we pair one good player with one bad player. That is ok from time to time. But I too as a better player want to improve and prefer my own ball slash round of play. Pairing the 2 guys at 100's allows them to work on the game from a realistic round of play. If the worse player play a bunch of a good players shots how does that help him.... doesn't since he won't be hitting from those spots at this point.

-DUB-

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play with my brother in law... He hits high 70s, low 80s... He doesn't seem to mind... In fact he stops and teaches me... and he still kicks my arse!

I do see how this could be frustrating for the people who are "better" than you... I've been that person (one slowing people down). My advice: get those 2 low guys DRUNK! :D

DUB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok ok ok.... Booze or beer does help to even the scorecard out... that option is 100 percent accurate hahha

-DUB-

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just play ready golf and those extra shots won't be significant in time.

One thing that drives me NUTZ is the need to mark your ball after every chip onto the green. It happens in my league all the time. Dude pitches the ball and then immediately walks into the green to go mark his ball. Why? Unless it's on someone's lie, pitch 'em all on first, then mark them. That's a huge time-saver.

Be ready to hit when it's your turn.

Don't take multiple practice swings.

I have no problem playing with higher handicappers who take basic steps toward moving along.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just play ready golf and those extra shots won't be significant in time.

One thing that drives me NUTZ is the need to mark your ball after every chip onto the green. It happens in my league all the time. Dude pitches the ball and then immediately walks into the green to go mark his ball. Why? Unless it's on someone's lie, pitch 'em all on first, then mark them. That's a huge time-saver.

Be ready to hit when it's your turn.

Don't take multiple practice swings.

I have no problem playing with higher handicappers who take basic steps toward moving along.

This.

Or dudes that wait up on the green while you're still walking up or you're further away or what have you. Standing there waiting like a tard. Just putt yer friggin ball Tiger Woods!?

I played with a newb last year, and the first couple holes he kept leaving his goddamned bag below the hole where he chipped from. I said something. Shit seems like common sense, but I've been playing golf since I was 7...gotta give em the benefit of the doubt, but also stop the poor etiquette.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most better players will tolerate you using time as long as you're not wasting it.

Also, I can play along or play more slowly. The thing that messes me up is flying around the course and then running into a slow group and having to finish the last few holes at a crawl.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two people in our group hit mid 80's regularly, the other two are 100-110. I can't imagine it is fun for the more experienced golfers to watch me and the other guy make bad approach shots and 3 put every hole. I have recommended they go as a twosome and get paired with other players, but they don't want to split the group. So while I am working to close the gap is it better to play best ball so they can enjoy it a little more, or will that stunt my development and slow the process of me catching up.

Eventually I will catch up to the other 2, just trying to find a way to not burn out the whole group before I get there.

Some good stuff already I see.

One thing on your games that you can improve on pretty quickly with practice...putting, especially speed control which is the number 1 cause of 3-4 putting.

Play up a box...or two. It's very tempting to play the same tee box as the better players sometimes, but play up...as your game develops, move back.

On the green be cognizant of where everyone's ball is. It probably won't make a difference but some better players can be finicky about someone walking on their putting line.

Finally...attitude. When I was learning the game playing with better players, they know what's like to be a beginner so you don't have act like you're Tiger Woods on every bad shot. Keep a good attitude when you pump that drive into the woods or shank one, etc. We've all been there. The day will go much better for all.

Just being realistic, you're not going to hit very many greens right now. So, swing smooth, and work on that chipping and putting...you'll be out of the 100s in short order.