• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Phil Steele has B1G finishing - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten forecast for 2017: Good luck beating the Buckeyes

Here's Phil Steele's look at how things should unfold in the Big Ten:

East Division

1. Ohio State Buckeyes

Urban Meyer has lost three bowl games in his career, and after the first two, he took home a national title the next season. Last year's squad was the least experienced in the FBS, and this year moves all the way up to No. 38 in the nation. The Buckeyes have one of the best offensive and defensive lines in the country, a veteran QB and all of their units rank in the top three of Big Ten with the exception of special teams (No. 9) in my ratings. They do have to play Michigan on the road but avoid Wisconsin out of the West and get a revenge match versus Penn State at home. Ohio State is my pick to represent the Big Ten in this year's College Football Playoff.

2. Penn State Nittany Lions

Heading into last year, all of the talk for the East title was either Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State. Lo and behold, the Big Ten champs at the end of the year were the Penn State Nittany Lions. This year's PSU team appears to be even better equipped, as it has 16 returning starters and goes from No. 81 on my experience rankings to No. 12, the highest of any Big Ten team, led by a pair of Heisman front-runners in QB Trace McSorley and RB Saquon Barkley. PSU has my No. 1 offense, No. 4 defense and No. 2 special-teams unit. After not being favored in six games last year, the Lions figure to be favored in all but one game this year -- Oct. 28 at Ohio State will be pretty important.

3. Michigan Wolverines

If this pick were based purely on the talent on the field, the Wolverines would be No. 1 or 2 in the Big Ten, as coach Jim Harbaugh has done a great job recruiting, despite the plethora of NFL talent (11 draft choices) that was lost. This team still has plenty of skill, but it does draw Wisconsin out of the West and has to play both the Badgers and Penn State on the road as well as host a loaded Ohio State team. While Michigan last year lost three of its last four games, its three losses were by five combined points. Despite picking the Wolverines third here, I believe they are fully capable of winning the East and the Big Ten.

4. Indiana Hoosiers

The Hoosiers were 6-7 and actually make my list of most improved teams for a third straight year and will be trying for a third straight bowl. Last year they finished fourth in the East and this time have just 18 lettermen lost and rank sixth in the conference (No. 47 in the nation) on my experience rankings. They do draw Wisconsin out of the West, but their final three Big Ten foes were a combined 3-24 in conference play last year. The past two seasons they've needed a big finish to get to a bowl and this year, with nine starters returning on defense, actually have my No. 6-rated unit in the league.

5. Michigan State Spartans

The Spartans were 1-8 in Big Ten play but actually outgained league opponents by an average of 35.4 YPG. Since the end of spring, they have lost numerous players and were already an inexperienced team heading into the season -- that now makes them the second-least experienced team in the country. I could easily make a case for Michigan State to finish as high as fourth, but with the possibility of even more losses over the summer, I peg them here.

6. Maryland Terrapins

Coach D.J. Durkin did a fine job getting the Terps to a bowl game in his first season despite QB injuries. Maryland was just 3-6 in Big Ten play and was outgained by an average of 102.6 YPG in league play. This year, the Terrapins drop from No. 71 in my experience rankings to No. 96, but their schedule moves up to the 13th-toughest (they draw both Wisconsin and Northwestern out of the West). The Terps have some solid additions, such as QB Caleb Henderson, and now have seven starters back on defense. Despite the tough schedule, I could easily see them getting back to a bowl this year.

7. Rutgers Scarlet Knights

If Rutgers had been a little more competitive last year, I could easily paint a scenario for them moving as high as fifth in the division. The Scarlet Knights have 14 returning starters, draw the bottom two teams out of the West, host Maryland (in the Bronx) and get Michigan State at home. They are a much improved team, especially at QB with the addition of Louisville transfer Kyle Bolin. They also have eight starters back on defense. Last year they were outscored in Big Ten play by an average score of 40-10 and were outgained by an average of 231.2 YPG. They'll be far more competitive and should bag a Big Ten win or two, but still get my call for the basement in the East.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Division

1. Wisconsin Badgers

Last year Wisconsin was just No. 105 on my experience rankings and, after avoiding all of the big boys in the East in both 2014 and 2015, the Badgers actually had to face six top-10 teams last year. Coach Paul Chryst outperformed my expectations as the Badgers went 11-3, got to the Big Ten title game (where they blew a 28-7 lead) and the Cotton Bowl. This year Wisconsin is No. 33 on my experience rankings -- that's third-best in the Big Ten -- and get key games versus Michigan and Northwestern at home. LSU and Ohio State both drop off the schedule and the Badgers do not face Penn State. Six of my nine sets of power ratings call for Wisconsin to go 12-0 this year and that makes them a legitimate national title contender and my pick to win the West.

2. Northwestern Wildcats

Last year, Northwestern had a lot of factors pointing down after its 10-3 season in 2015. The Wildcats needed a win in the season finale to get to six wins, then had a close bowl victory. This year, that should not be a problem. They have 16 returning starters and rank No. 17 on my experience rankings. QB Clayton Thorson and RB Justin Jackson are back and they add Oregon transfer WR Jalon Brown behind a veteran offensive line. The defense has my No. 5-rated defensive line and No. 2 DB group among Big Ten teams. They face both Wisconsin and Nebraska on the road, but beat them both at those sites in 2015 so this team is a legitimate contender in the Big Ten West.

3. Nebraska Cornhuskers

There are some factors clearly pointing down for Nebraska. The Cornhuskers go from the fifth-most experienced team in the Big Ten to the third-least experienced team (No. 126 in the nation) and draw both of the top-10 teams, Penn State and Ohio State, out of the East. Despite the inexperience and schedule, the Huskers have the talent, and new QB Tanner Lee is an NFL prospect and a perfect fit for head coach Mike Riley's system. They have my No. 5-rated offensive line and No. 4-rated DBs in the Big Ten. The Huskers also get their main two contenders in the West, Wisconsin and Northwestern, both at home, where they were 7-0 last year. That makes them a legitimate threat in the West.

4. Minnesota Golden Gophers

Despite this pick, Minnesota should be considered a contender. The Gophers have an excellent chance opening up 7-0 this year before their killer final five games, which has road trips to Iowa, Michigan and Northwestern, plus home games versus Wisconsin and Nebraska. None of those games are impossible to win, especially for a confident bunch, so despite me picking them here, watch out for the Gophers.

5. Iowa Hawkeyes

Last year, Iowa had a dream schedule with its five Big Ten road games against teams that were a combined 10-30 in Big Ten play the previous year. The Hawkeyes beat Michigan at home but went only 6-3 in conference play and were outgained by an average of 25.2 YPG. This year, they are a more veteran team with 15 returning starters. The schedule is also tougher. While they have just four Big Ten road games, three are versus the top three teams of the West, and they draw both Ohio State and Penn State out of the East. Head coach Kirk Ferentz usually gets the most out of his teams but with the tougher schedule, my computer does not have them contending for the Big Ten West Title.

6. Purdue Boilermakers

The Boilermakers trailed by five points or fewer at the half in five of their final six games last year and had to deal with their coach getting fired in the middle of the season. This year, they bring back just 13 returning starters, but I was impressed with what head coach Jeff Brohm did at Western Kentucky. I think he'll get David Blough to be a more efficient QB and cut down on those INTs (21 in 2016), which will make the offense stronger and put the defense in less jeopardy. Purdue has finished in the basement of the division four straight years with a Big Ten record of 3-30 (two of the wins were over Illinois). I'm not calling for a bowl, but I do expect them to get out of the cellar.

7. Illinois Fighting Illini

The Illini went just 2-7 and were outgained by an average of 128 YPG in Big Ten play last season. This year they figure to have a much improved offense with a veteran offensive line and running backs, plus they get Mike Dudek back at WR along with junior college transfer QB Dwayne Lawson. The defense is still a question mark. Second-year coaches have an advantage in that they now know the players and the players know the schemes, so Lovie Smith and Illinois should be improved this year.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Michigan Wolverines
harbz.0.gif

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa at 5 ?

It is not too surprising Iowa is viewed that low. Iowa lost their QB, 3 WRs (1 that is returning got a season ending injury), their #1 TE, starting RB (which returning RB might have been better) on offense. On defense, they lost a few DBs, including All-American Desmond King.

They also have a decently tough schedule in the B1G, as they face Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Nebraska has a shot at being good and can never count out Michigan State under Dantonio.

So, it is not surprising that Iowa is seen so low.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not too surprising Iowa is viewed that low. Iowa lost their QB, 3 WRs (1 that is returning got a season ending injury), their #1 TE, starting RB (which returning RB might have been better) on offense. On defense, they lost a few DBs, including All-American Desmond King.

They also have a decently tough schedule in the B1G, as they face Penn State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Nebraska has a shot at being good and can never count out Michigan State under Dantonio.

So, it is not surprising that Iowa is seen so low.

Yeah that's a tough schedule. I think Iowa could have 1 loss coming into the Northwestern game. If the can beat Northwestern and Minnesota then they will be in good shape.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious who the fuck Phil Steele is.

Great journalist for when you are going crazy because it has been months since a good football game. It might be worthless as a preseason thing, but it is something.

JOZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the under dog role its usually when we have our best years! GO HAWKS

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the guy who picked Washington to make the playoffs last year after they finished 7 - 6.

Great journalist for when you are going crazy because it has been months since a good football game. It might be worthless as a preseason thing, but it is something.

And
@KingKoolKat75

I guess the sarcasm needs to be spelled out better for some......

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Steele, used to always get his magazine but it became to expensive to ship up here. That said I think Michigan should be higher than #3 in their division.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious who the fuck Phil Steele is.

Phil Steele stuff is a brain overload of statistics. Lots and lots of statistics. Some statistics you never knew existed. Mel Kiper was made famous by being the guy that made the NFL Draft statistics, Phil Steele is along those lines for how a team will do the next season.

I read his magazines for insight into my Las Vegas football bets for the amount of games a team will win or lose, both pro and college. Called Futures bets.

He also lists key additions and key subtractions for personnel which I find invaluable.

I decide on my own bets for an individual game.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do buy his book every year-dont know how he compiles all those stats on EVERYBODY

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Steele, used to always get his magazine but it became to expensive to ship up here. That said I think Michigan should be higher than #3 in their division.

I want to say the same based off their trajectory the last few years under Harbaugh, but Ohio St and Penn St have more coming back and had just as good of seasons last year. I understand the 3rd place predictions and I even did the same.