• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How long til the SEC adds 14?

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stafford was recruited before McCoy I believe. He was one year older than McCoy. McCoy was kind of a surprise, he wasn't that highly recruited.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have the burden of proof, however I see now that you started to change your tune. Next time when you try to throw facts and stats out there, back it up.

I'm not the one begging for links you can look up on google. I even told you WHAT to lookup. But since you are too lazy, here:

Four DVRs, no waiting
A TV and radio blog with David Barron
Larger | Smaller
« World Cup begins, college football realignment continues | Main | Thoughts on the Dome, the Big 12 and World Cup »

Some college football ratings to ponder
There are still a lot of moving parts in the college realignment game, and I’m not going to speculate what’s going to happen this week. All I can do on this Sunday is offer a few numbers.

I went through my ratings books and compiled a list of the top-rated regular-season college football games in Houston for the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Now, Nielsen ratings can be a bear to get, and the list that I receive through the generosity of a patron who will go unidentified in this space does not include Fox Sports Net. The 2008 list includes neither FSN or ESPN. So keep that in mind as you peruse the following numbers, which, as I said, are for Houston only.

UPDATE: As I was perusing a fan site, I realized that I had omitted the Tech-UH game from last year. That game aired on ESPN2, and the ratings sheets that I was studying did not include ESPN2. Sorry about the oversight.

Game (Network) Rating/share

Texas-Nebraska (ABC) 15.7/26

Texas-Texas A&M (ESPN) 13.5/26

Florida-Alabama (CBS) 12.3/25

Texas Tech-Texas (ABC) 10.9/20

Texas-Oklahoma (ABC) 10.8/28

Kansas-Texas (ABC) 9.0/16

Texas-Oklahoma State (ABC) 8.9/18

Texas Tech-Houston (ESPN2) 7.9/NA

Texas-Missouri (ABC) 7.7/14

Texas Tech-Nebraska (ABC) 6.7/15

Florida-LSU (CBS) 6.8/12

Colorado-Texas (ESPN) 6.6/12

LSU-Alabama (CBS) 6.3/15

LSU-Georgia (CBS) 5.5/12

Florida State-Florida (CBS) 5.3/12

Auburn-Alabama (CBS) 5.2/12

Game (Network) Rating/share

Texas-Texas Tech (ABC) 16.2/29

Texas Tech-Oklahoma (ABC) 11.6/20

Texas-Oklahoma (ABC) 10.9/26

Oklahoma State-Texas (ABC) 10.2/24

Oklahoma-Texas Tech (ABC) 9.4/17

Oklahoma-Oklahoma State (ABC) 9.3/16

Florida-Alabama (CBS) 9.1/20

Missouri-Oklahoma (ABC) 7.6/14

Alabama-LSU (CBS) 6.1/13

LSU-Florida (CBS) 5.2/10

Penn State-Ohio State (ABC) 5.2/10

What does this tell us? Well, for one thing, it tells us that the SEC already does pretty well in Houston. I’m not sure it needs Texas A&M as a ratings booster, at least in this market. In 2008, in fact, Alabama-LSU beat Oklahoma-Texas A&M in the same time slot, 6.1 to 4.1. Of course, the Aggies will draw better when they play better,and they’ll have more prime time games and more ABC games, presuming the Big 12 continues as a 10-team league. At this point, however, they’re not a prime time property.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the top recruit is J Grey from Aledo, a RB.....and he is going to Texas. Texas right now has the top class in the nation, all but ONE player is from Texas, so not sure what rankings you guys are reading, cause they're wrong. Rivals is pretty much the only one with any reputation.

LOL at SEC SEC SEC fans thinking Texas won't get the top prospects. We've been over this before, and you are wrong if you think simple conference affiliation matters.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree IrishFutbol, most Texas players or any players anywhere would want to play for a National Champion contender such as Alabama or LSU that gets a lot of media attention over a team that is struggling in one of the worse BCS Conferences.

You mean the conference with one of the best OOC records so far this year? Damn, the conference that has sent more teams to NCG than any other conference besides the SEC? Get your head out of your ass.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU fan seems to think that Texas is magically going to stop contending and putting kids in the pros all because A&M joined the SEC.

Texas has put more players in the pros than every team IN the SEC. NOBODY puts more busts in the pros than the SEC. I'm not sure how he thinks this is some sort of selling point.

Kids will still go to Texas, and they will still get the top recruits. I have yet to see a reasonable, logical reason as to otherwise, especially when the proof is right in front of them, with Texas still pulling in the top class right now. It's like they are immune to facts.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:focus: The SEC is in the best possible situation right now; they have no need to take a 14th member unless it is someone they absolutely want and will improve their product. Similar to the ACC with UConn and Rutgers (except with just about any team), the SEC can knock on the door and say "Hi, we'd like you to join" and said college would immediately comply. Unless they've already had multiple teams decline, I don't see how this discussion is even pertinent. It's obvious ESPN has no clue what's actually going on, otherwise Clemson, FSU, and Missouri would already be in tSEC...

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead link. And I didn't say he was the top recruit in the nation, I said he was the top recruit in state.

Texas is still getting the top recruits in state. Not sure why you guys think this has changed.

Damn yahoo, anyways Mario Edwards is the top recruit in Texas according to Rivals.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant, in his 1974 autobiography "Bear," recounted a conversation he had with Jack Finney, a member of the A&M Athletic Board, before Bryant agreed to come to College Station.

Bryant: If we could offer a boy the same scholarship deal Texas does, and there were 20 good prospects, how many would we sign?

Finney: Ten

Bryant: You mean we would get half?

Finney: At least.

"That impressed me because I knew I could win with that," Bryant wrote. "But I didn't know the Aggies then like I know them now. Old Jack was exaggerating. You couldn't get ten. You would be lucky to get one. The chances were you wouldn't get any. Not then."

Nothing has changed in Texas since Bear Bryant, nothing will with A&M leaving either.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn yahoo, anyways Mario Edwards is the top recruit in Texas according to Rivals.

Well, guess I'll have to settle for Texas only getting most of the top recruits, and not the #1 overall, oh nooooos

Is there a point to this, I mean seriously? Is Texas NOT hauling in the top class?

And how you like those ratings? STILL think A&M is a draw in state?

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing has changed in Texas since Bear Bryant, nothing will with A&M leaving either.

Og course, nobody is going to argue that. However, this gives the other SEC teams a game in Texas now, which means Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, etc. has a better opportunity to recruit in the state.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Og course, nobody is going to argue that. However, this gives the other SEC teams a game in Texas now, which means Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, etc. has a better opportunity to recruit in the state.

How often will they play in Texas? OU plays there every year. They'll be competing against Texas and OU...

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another classic example of that Texas-sized inferiority complex...

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC should go all arrogant with 14th pick. Hold an survivor type competition for the biggest interested schools in virginia and north carolina. And then whoever wins out can then quickly out recruit all the acc schools located there. Id put the early money on VCu. Bigger enrollment than all but 2 SEC schools and an endowment currently equal to MSU.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC can't add the 14th team how does the scheduling break down? And will the West complain about the unfairness of having more teams to play in conference or what?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC can't add the 14th team how does the scheduling break down? And will the West complain about the unfairness of having more teams to play in conference or what?

good question. I really dont see how they can have split conference with an odd amount. It also messes with what who would be the cross divisional permanent rivalry game for aTm when the east already has those games in place. Perhaps everone plays 9 in conference games and the top 2 go to the SECCG.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How often will they play in Texas? OU plays there every year. They'll be competing against Texas and OU...

For the West teams, every other year and maybe every two years. I'm not worried about competing against OU and Texas.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good question. I really dont see how they can have split conference with an odd amount. It also messes with what who would be the cross divisional permanent rivalry game for aTm when the east already has those games in place. Perhaps everone plays 9 in conference games and the top 2 go to the SECCG.

It would be weird, probably 3 West teams play every team in the West, while the other 4 play only 4 teams in the West and pick up an extra East game.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sooner fans also have the Texas Inferiority complex ballboy. It is funny listening to both schools whine and bitch about being kings of the world when the Pac12 shot them down. That has to be humbling.

I am going to laugh when Mizzou leaves. I think it is going to happen. I was hoping KSU, Kansas, and Iowa State were going to say fuck it and head to the Big East. Those three schools have been the only reasonable parties in this entire mess.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooner fans also have the Texas Inferiority complex ballboy. It is funny listening to both schools whine and bitch about being kings of the world when the Pac12 shot them down. That has to be humbling.

I am going to laugh when Mizzou leaves. I think it is going to happen. I was hoping KSU, Kansas, and Iowa State were going to say fuck it and head to the Big East. Those three schools have been the only reasonable parties in this entire mess.

Really now? Tell us, WHO is going to take Mizzou?