• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How important are sacks?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting, some interesting data and a good read, but like all else it's of course not that simple.
A lot of sacks come on 3rd down or second and long so the 80% number doesn't surprise me. But whether you go all out for the sack or sit back and get the incomplete if it kills the drive it all plays the same.

To me, getting pressure (or ideally a sack) when needed most is what matters. How many sacks do you get when the other team has the ball with 2 minutes left and your up 2 points or just on 3rd down in a tight game. We know this team struggled getting pressure last year, but if you just look at sacks we were OK because we were almost always winning and forcing the other team to throw so we had a lot of chances. But when we needed pressure the most we often couldn't get it, just like the last few years. I go back to my stance of stats are fun but go by what you see with your eyes more than what you read in the paper. With health and good coverage I think we get a little more pressure this year than last year. That will make me happy even if our sacks go down. I'm not counting on Taco to do too much for our pass rush (hopefully just contribute a little), but I think the other guys we have get better (Lawrence, Collins, etc)

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a kinda weird view on sacks....

The more times you sack a qb or get pressure on a qb, the more times you are likely to are aee a rushed throw.

Those are quickly usually picked off or incomplete. Move on....

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks are great, pressure is great as well. Even when we had ware the defense could not get off the field because we had a secondary that did not make plays. The secondary has stunk since Woodson retired. We would be smart to sign revis to supplement the young guys. As far as I can tell the Cowboys need to sack a couple referees. Just atrocious officiating during those past two packer playoff games.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have to be brain dead not to like what we did in the last two draft to address the secondary and pass rush. Tapper is going to knock some qb's around and taco should be a nice piece.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins could easily lead the team in sacks. He is ferocious and very underrated. Very explosive

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see these new DEs in action. But in terms of better sacks and pressure, it is much better if it comes from across the board. Better off if the offense can't single out one guy to block.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think sacks are extremely important. Not only for the stats every likes to follow but when a sack doesnt occur it often ends positive yardage.
I like any team that can pressure the QB (even without the Sack), Which is one of the reasons why I like to beef up the trenches, if I had to choose DL or DB to deal with 1st.

Teams have made it to or won the Championship game with all different types of weaknesses to the team.
The one thing all the teams have in common is they won the trenches.
We already have a capable OL, would love to match with the DL.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can rush an opposing QB with just four pass rushers.......that is huge
And sacks are a very important part of a great defense.
A great D line and O line win super bowls

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting, some interesting data and a good read, but like all else it's of course not that simple.
A lot of sacks come on 3rd down or second and long so the 80% number doesn't surprise me. But whether you go all out for the sack or sit back and get the incomplete if it kills the drive it all plays the same.

To me, getting pressure (or ideally a sack) when needed most is what matters. How many sacks do you get when the other team has the ball with 2 minutes left and your up 2 points or just on 3rd down in a tight game. We know this team struggled getting pressure last year, but if you just look at sacks we were OK because we were almost always winning and forcing the other team to throw so we had a lot of chances. But when we needed pressure the most we often couldn't get it, just like the last few years. I go back to my stance of stats are fun but go by what you see with your eyes more than what you read in the paper. With health and good coverage I think we get a little more pressure this year than last year. That will make me happy even if our sacks go down. I'm not counting on Taco to do too much for our pass rush (hopefully just contribute a little), but I think the other guys we have get better (Lawrence, Collins, etc)

I want to see what Lawrence can do with a good season health wise. If he is not any better than what I have seen I am going to be let down a bit.

I love Collins.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins could easily lead the team in sacks. He is ferocious and very underrated. Very explosive

I also want to see what Tapper can do when he is pain free.

Hard to say how good that draft can be for us. If Jaylon comes back to playing level and it looks like he is....

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pressure on the QB, under today's rules, is the single most important element to having a good defense. You could have Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson at CB, if the QB has 5-6 seconds to throw, it doesn't matter. This was illustrated on the last defensive play of the Cowboys 2016 season

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pressure on the QB, under today's rules, is the single most important element to having a good defense. You could have Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson at CB, if the QB has 5-6 seconds to throw, it doesn't matter. This was illustrated on the last defensive play of the Cowboys 2016 season
Agree. I'd love to see 3 or 4 sacks werkly by our D, but I'm fine if the team can simply force the QB to get rid of the ball early on most plays.