• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How far have we fallen? Are these schools better coaching options?

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was talking with a buddy of mine about how I thought Nebraska was still a 10-15 program for a top college coaching spot...he had a pretty good argument that Nebraska is about 20-25. Our location sucks, and with our recent shitting the bed, we can't pull recruits like we use to. So here is a list of schools, which ones do you think are better coaching places than Nebraska. Stay away from the koo-laid and attempt to look at this from a neutral prospective.

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Stanford
Florida
Miami Fl
FSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Michigan
Ohio State
Alabama
LSU
Colorado
Georgia
Wisconsin
Tennessee

There is a list of 18 schools, the argument is that talent surrounding the location would make the coaching job/opportunity more valuable than Nebraska despite our tradition/facilities. The bottom it gets pretty close, but lets face it. Everyone else is getting great facilities and the kids going to college now missed out on the 90's they remember only Nebraska in the Callahan/Pelini Era.

Are we just going to stay in mediocrity?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes a special coach for Nebraska. Can't have much of an ego. Has to like the simple life. Does NOT want to be the star.

The coach will have to probably come from the state of Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Minnesota. Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne fit the bill.

Every school in Texas, California, and Florida is a better coach's choice for job security because of the recruiting. You will NEVER see a coach like Saban or Meyer come here. They have egos. I bet a coach like Mack Brown would have come to Nebraska, if Mack Brown would have come to Nebraska he would failed massively.

Oregon is pretty close to going back to being the Oregon of the 1980s and earlier. Once Nike decides to pull the plug, Oregon is toast.

Colorado? No. They can't get any good coaches there and they never did. The got lucky finding the good coaches they had, but Colorado is not a destination job.

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Florida
Miami Fl
FSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Michigan
Ohio State
Alabama
LSU
Georgia

Questionable to me
Wisconsin - probably a lot like Nebraska
Tennessee - they ar struggling to find coaches now
North Carolina or North Carolina State. There are a lot of recruits in North Carolina
Nebraska we love football and will support the team. If a great coach some how appears again, look out.
Oregon

Not in the discussion
Colorado

I sure wish Pelini would have done what I suggested for Minnesota. Which I believe 99.99% of Husker Nation said the exact same thing.

Stop Minnesota's run and only play Martinez one quarter to knock off the rust. Martinez was probably the main factor in the loss because Beck just had to throw because Minnesota gave them that. The Nebraska defense had to keep going back on the field because of failed drives, 17 first downs and 30 pass attempts with a guy with broken toes.

How come Nebraska did not force Minnesota to only throw? Because of stupid coaching. Pass isn't working, but Minnesota is giving Nebraska the pass, keep throwing the rock.

Minnesota wun's the ball, so Nebraska plays defend the pass defense. Stupid coaching.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It takes a special coach for Nebraska. Can't have much of an ego. Has to like the simple life. Does NOT want to be the star.

The coach will have to probably come from the state of Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Minnesota. Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne fit the bill.

Every school in Texas, California, and Florida is a better coach's choice for job security because of the recruiting. You will NEVER see a coach like Saban or Meyer come here. They have egos. I bet a coach like Mack Brown would have come to Nebraska, if Mack Brown would have come to Nebraska he would failed massively.

Oregon is pretty close to going back to being the Oregon of the 1980s and earlier. Once Nike decides to pull the plug, Oregon is toast.

Colorado? No. They can't get any good coaches there and they never did. The got lucky finding the good coaches they had, but Colorado is not a destination job.

USC
UCLA
Stanford
Florida
Miami Fl
FSU
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Michigan
Ohio State
Alabama
LSU
Georgia

Questionable to me
Wisconsin - probably a lot like Nebraska
Tennessee - they ar struggling to find coaches now
North Carolina or North Carolina State. There are a lot of recruits in North Carolina
Nebraska we love football and will support the team. If a great coach some how appears again, look out.
Oregon

Not in the discussion
Colorado

I sure wish Pelini would have done what I suggested for Minnesota. Which I believe 99.99% of Husker Nation said the exact same thing.

Stop Minnesota's run and only play Martinez one quarter to knock off the rust. Martinez was probably the main factor in the loss because Beck just had to throw because Minnesota gave them that. The Nebraska defense had to keep going back on the field because of failed drives, 17 first downs and 30 pass attempts with a guy with broken toes.

How come Nebraska did not force Minnesota to only throw? Because of stupid coaching. Pass isn't working, but Minnesota is giving Nebraska the pass, keep throwing the rock.

Minnesota runs the ball, so Nebraska plays defend the pass defense. Stupid coaching.

I disagree with you about Mack Brown. He would have done well here at Nebraska.

I certainly agree with you about STUPID COACHING. We saw some of the worst coaching EVER last Saturday at Minnesota.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot about Notre Dame.

Jobs that I think are definitely better:

Bama
LSU
Georgia
A&M
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma
Florida St
Miami
Oregon
USC
Ohio St
Michigan

I think UCLA is barely better. Wisconsin and Tennessee is about the same as Nebraska.

Nebraska is still a top 20 job.

HuskerInBig10, you said that Oregon is close to dropping back because once Nike pulls the plug? Huh???? Uh Phil Knight will NEVER pull the plug on the place he went to school at. He has his own fucking locker in the locker room.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Didn't get the Oregon thing.

Phil Knight IS Oregon. They've got access to every resource Nike has.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is NOT a better job

A lot of those id say are equal to Nebraska as well.

Def still a top 15 job

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a list of 18 schools, the argument is that talent surrounding the location would make the coaching job/opportunity more valuable than Nebraska despite our tradition/facilities. The bottom it gets pretty close, but lets face it. Everyone else is getting great facilities and the kids going to college now missed out on the 90's they remember only Nebraska in the Callahan/Pelini Era.

Are we just going to stay in mediocrity?
-------
Some coaches will not even think about Nebraska because of the weather as they themselves just don't like the cold weather. But I don't believe Nebraska has fallen on hard times in landing a top notch coach. When I say top notch, they may not come from a top notch school--Devaney wasn't at a top notch school and yet he came to town and took a 5-6 team and went 9-2 his first year. Someone that knew coaching in a program like ours and what it took to be successful.

I still believe given the opportunity a HC with experience as a HC could come in here next year and make a strong immediate impact. We don't lack for talent/facilitites/fan base/or money, we just need a proven entity that has already proven himself elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will clarify my statement on Nike.

I will agree, as long as Phil Knight is alive, Oregon has money. Phil Knight is 75.

Once Phil Knight dies, and Nike begins to have revenue problems, the bean counters will slow the money going to Oregon. Nike is clothes and shoes. Not highly technological items. I do not buy NIKE. Their shoes are crap for my feet and gave me black toe. I switched to Asics.

I don't buy Nike clothes either. I buy Under Armour.

Grandma Kadafi in Pakistan can make some clothes and shoes and sell them cheaper.