• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does Hugh Jackson still have a job?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pics of the owner with a few amputee midgets, a donkey, and a car battery with jumper cables.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Browns ? .. and I know that's rich coming from a Lions fan, so sorry. Watching his presser after he learned he'd be coming back, he almost seemed embarrassed that he still had the gig.
Maybe, if he goes 0-32 the next 2 seasons they'll get rid of him. He impressed the brass too much with his 1-31 showing.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A belated Xmas Miracle?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand being upset at Haslam for this at all. If anything he should be commended for sticking with a coach who was dealt a team that he couldn't possibly have success with.
This has to be a "show me" year for Jackson.

Year one was a throw away. This past year was extremely disappointing, but still the odds were against them having anything that resembled real success.

Next year they need to show marked improvement. They will still be the youngest team in the NFL, but there's no excuse to not see massive improvement given all their picks and cap space to fix the problem.

1-31 is 1-31 and it's hard to stomach for any football fan, so it's hard to make a strong case for Hue, but there were some circumstances that were huge factors. We've talked about the vet gut job in yr one, but they smartly invested FA money into the makings of a good OL in yr 2...only to undermine that by starting a raw rookie. If winning as many games as possible in 2017 was the objective, they had to shoot higher for a starting QB.

I probably would've stayed with Hue as well, but only if I was going to give him a QB that was more ready to play next yr. If Rosen is the guy and I'm willing to struggle again in '2018...I think I would prefer a HC that I'm willing to stick with through at least 3 yrs of the rookie's contract.

I wouldn't want Hue and Rosen...they suck again in '18 then fire Hue and bring in a new HC/OC for '19.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Jackson still have his job? This guy has a very serious problem.

jimmy-halsman-laughing.gif

Here's a current picture of his condition.

downloadfdsdf.jpg

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago, all the NFL "experts" were writing that Hue Jackson was a genius hire, and Doug Pederson the worst hire. Mike Lombardi went further and said Pederson was the least qualified head coach he had ever seen in the NFL.

Pederson now is a Super Bowl champ and Jackson is 1-31 in two years.

Moral of the story: Coaches matter, but organizations are more than coaches.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago, all the NFL "experts" were writing that Hue Jackson was a genius hire, and Doug Pederson the worst hire. Mike Lombardi went further and said Pederson was the least qualified head coach he had ever seen in the NFL.

Secondary moral: grading transactions shortly after they happen means nothing.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but having a bad coach is like having a failing heart. Can only go on so long regardless of how the rest of body is doing.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lombardi was part of the brain trust that helped Cleveland become such a trash organization when he became GM in 13-14. I'm skeptical of his NFL chops. He's looked really good working with Belichick, but who hasn't?

Secondary moral: grading transactions shortly after they happen means nothing.

What good is the internet if we can't knee jerk react to everything?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting for a team that sticks with a dead weight coach is never easy (Fisher), but it is SOOO nice once you get the right one!

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rooting for a team that sticks with a dead weight coach is never easy (Fisher), but it is SOOO nice once you get the right one!

IMO, the jury is still out on Jackson in Cleveland. Both the owner and GM recognize Jackson was hired at a time when the franchise was purposefully tanking in order to acquire the capital necessary to rebuild. It's unfair to judge him based on the last 2 seasons. Maybe he could have or should have won a few extra games, but we're splitting hairs when we're talking about going 4-29 vs 1-31.

That said, this coming season is definitely a "show me" season for Jackson. With the free agents and coaching added to the team in the offseason in addition to whoever they draft, significant improvement must be shown for Jackson to retain his job. If he fails, then some lucky coach is going to walk into a seriously plum job.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the jury is still out on Jackson in Cleveland. Both the owner and GM recognize Jackson was hired at a time when the franchise was purposefully tanking in order to acquire the capital necessary to rebuild. It's unfair to judge him based on the last 2 seasons. Maybe he could have or should have won a few extra games, but we're splitting hairs when we're talking about going 4-29 vs 1-31.

That said, this coming season is definitely a "show me" season for Jackson. With the free agents and coaching added to the team in the offseason in addition to whoever they draft, significant improvement must be shown for Jackson to retain his job. If he fails, then some lucky coach is going to walk into a seriously plum job.

I might believe the tanking aspect if they didn't waste opportunities in those drafts. It's almost like they are intentionally avoiding quality QB prospects. Wentz and Watson to name 2 under Hue.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably keeps people off-balance with the weird spelling of his name. The Browns might have tried to fire him several times, but they informed the wrong guy

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably keeps people off-balance with the weird spelling of his name. The Browns might have tried to fire him several times, but they informed the wrong guy

hue
(h)yo͞o/
noun
  1. a color or shade.
    "her face lost its golden hue"
    synonyms: color, shade, tone, tint, tinge
    "a lovely hue of lilac"
    • the attribute of a color by virtue of which it is discernible as red, green, etc., and which is dependent on its dominant wavelength, and independent of intensity or lightness.
    • character; aspect.
      "men of all political hues submerged their feuds"
      synonyms: color, shade, tone, tint, tinge
      "a lovely hue of lilac

In other words, they can identity him as a coach, just not sure how bright or dim he is....