• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Cleveland Has Fared Since Rejoining NFL In 1999 (NFL Team Records Comparison Since Millennium)

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of people shitting on the Browns to shit on the Browns without paying much attention to the big picture. They've set themselves up incredibly well in the next 2-3 drafts to build a core group. They have an excellent OL for a QB to work within and bare requisite for a QB to throw to in Britt, Barnidge, and Coleman. This is a legit FO.

The irony of all ironies. The Browns from 1990-2016 the last quarter century/26 years were the worst team in NFL easily during that span with only a couple playoff berths and three winning seasons.

The Browns from 1946-1989 were the best team in NFL easily during that span had around 35 winning seasons,went to 13 title games winning 8 championships,23 division titles. In the teams first 5 decades of football they had only 6 losing seasons.

It is crazy because up through 1989 the Browns were always in the hunt but starting in 1990 and over the last 3 decades it is like they couldn't get arrested.

Through the entire existence its been feast or famine.

I do believe like you that they have the starts of a winner brewing. In fact i wouldn't doubt if the Browns didn't start winning a lot once again and then everyone starts copying their moneyball approach.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony of all ironies. The Browns from 1990-2016 the last quarter century/26 years were the worst team in NFL easily during that span with only a couple playoff berths and three winning seasons.

The Browns from 1946-1989 were the best team in NFL easily during that span had around 35 winning seasons,went to 13 title games winning 8 championships,23 division titles. In the teams first 5 decades of football they had only 6 losing seasons.

It is crazy because up through 1989 the Browns were always in the hunt but starting in 1990 and over the last 3 decades it is like they couldn't get arrested.

I do believe like you that they have the starts of a winner brewing. In fact i wouldn't doubt if the Browns didn't start winning a lot once again and then everyone starts copying their moneyball approach.
I think moneyball to a degree has already happened- Cleveland just happens to be the one that is comparatively puritanical, and all in, in those analytics. Whereas the Chiefs might be 85% Braves and 15% Athletics, the Browns are more the other way around; and I don't think the current Chiefs regime is anti-analytic at all and even suspect they're ahead of most teams.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt i have a poster tell me to start worrying about cleveland?:nono:

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well from 1946-1949 they weren't playing in the NFL. So really you have to go from 1950 on.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually i think Cleveland if they play their cards right and use their picks wisely they could easily turn things around in just a year or two especially if they get a decent QB.

Which will never happen so we won't have to worry about that

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I didn't say that yet I'll say it now. Not only do the Steelers have to worry about the Browns but this is the year Cleveland takes control of the AFCn.:yes:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of people shitting on the Browns to shit on the Browns without paying much attention to the big picture. They've set themselves up incredibly well in the next 2-3 drafts to build a core group. They have an excellent OL for a QB to work within and bare requisite for a QB to throw to in Britt, Barnidge, and Coleman. This is a legit FO.

Exhibit A

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would....... Not being a smart ass, but like he said if they draft well this year and next they can have a stacked roster that can win, of course the question will be do they have the right coach in place to use that talent!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the last 20 yrs of history mean anything we probably won't have to worry about it, but you never know.

ATL was a terrible franchise from '66 into the 90s with a few decent records sprinkled in. They literally had non-football people making football personnel decisions under the Smith ownership...it was real bad. They finally hired a real football man in Dan Reeves, and had some success for a few yrs, got to a SB (and lost) then went thru the Vick era, fell back again. Now they seem to understand foundation and most obviously they were able to land a legit pro QB.

CLE...they're not that far removed from having very good trench play on both sides of the ball. They just couldn't pull the skill positions and the QB together that's why it never showed up in the win column. Then it just unraveled.

It seems like they are going back to that model of building from the inside...expensive, but imo money well spent on the OL...they would be foolish not to take the A&M kid with #1 overall to bolster the DL...QB...I think there are some blueprints out there (CIN, KC) proving you can be competitive w/o having a true franchise QB if the rest of the cast is strong enough. Obviously they need to improve the QB position...how they go about doing that will shape the Hue Jackson era.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride ...

I see you have no sense of humor. Hey make sure to give me a BS rating on this comment as well. Thank you.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to the Browns being NFL relevant again.
My second favorite team way back in the day with Dr. Ryan, Leeroy, Gary Collins and the great Paul Warfield.
Great football fans too.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh calm ur panties down i was kidding with the bs

Sure you were kidding, it's all good though. Hey can I start rooting for the Steelers?:hope: I need your okay 1st though.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Cleveland's been terrible since re-entering the league. Also saw Detroit there at #31. They had a few bad seasons but they've been decent the past few seasons, thought they would have fared better than that.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Cleveland's been terrible since re-entering the league. Also saw Detroit there at #31. They had a few bad seasons but they've been decent the past few seasons, thought they would have fared better than that.
Even really bad teams overperform in a tiny 16 game schedule.