• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How bout them roundballers!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The press is a gimmick to cover up the team's lack of fundamentals.

When WVU is pressured, it cannot take care of the ball. The guards have mediocre handles and below average passing skills.

This could get ugly...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.. my math would be the same...16 does not equal 4...........4 equal's 4! LOL!...Mad I am with you..it is impossible..and its certainly has been proven that you cannot ask a team to press for an entire game for 30 plus contests...you end up with a Stephen F Austin game and you're out!...he's got to find a way to save these kids legs...the foul shot percentage needs to be 15% points better as a group if they plan to make a run in the tourney...
Hey Slaton, there are 128 teams playing 1A football, 351 playing div 1 basketball...........even making the field of 64 is an accomplishment, if football were the same, there would be only 12 bowl games, and it would be a feather in your cap to get to one.....Let me tell you what else is impossible, it is impossible to win a football championship with just offense......I will take Huggins all day, every day as my basketball coach.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The press is a gimmick to cover up the team's lack of fundamentals.

When WVU is pressured, it cannot take care of the ball. The guards have mediocre handles and below average passing skills.

This could get ugly...

Our press is a gimmick to cover the teams obvious lack of talent. We play Kansas tomorrow. Could our starting lineup of 3 3 star guys and 2 4 star guys even be on the same floor with Kansas with 4-5 star talent all over the floor?

When you cannot get the star players, gimmicks can help. Catlett went for 20 years playing the same style as everyone else and rarely made the tourney. Beilein used the Stanford offense and 3 point shooting as a gimmick. Huggs played strong defense and when the rules changed, went to the press defense. If we only had a good offense.

I think if we keep Devon Williams and a real inside threat, we would be really tough. As it is now, on a good night, we can beat anybody and on a bad night we can lose to anybody.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What many fail to see is that our bball team, just like football has a difficult time getting talent to come to wv. Give huggs a few 5 star guys, or a group similar to what Kansas has an I would expect major changes in the way he manages the games.

Huggs reinvented himself a couple of years ago when rules changed that turned great defensive plays into fouls. I thought he was toast. Then he came up with the press and play 10 guys. Sure it wears out legs, including those of the other teams we play. We keep knocking off #1 ranked teams with considerably lesser talent and getting high rankings.

He must be doing something right.
When this point is made about football, lack of 5 star talent, you have some on this board who feel that it is an excuse for Dana? One idiot says that Dana cannot develop talent like RR did with his 3-star recruits. RR had something new when he emerged on the college football horizon that made him look like a genius at first. How many 5-stars are playing for Arizona? I bet you more than the number that is coming to WVU. How is RR doing?

We have a highly regarded and battle tested future HOF HC that everybody thought he would bring in the high ranked talent to WVU as he did at Cincinnati. You have 1 idiot on here who feels that Huggy should be given a pass because of all the Sweet 16 appearances. Huggy is already taken care of with his current contract to retire as a Mountaineer in one form or another. Why can't a coach like Huggy bring in the type of players that you mentioned but it is expected by our football coach? So it can't be both ways. I would expect a highly touted HC like Huggy to bring more to the table. Would you consider Huggy to be in the same league as Coach K? Why can Kansas bring in the talent? Is it the coach or is it tradition? I like Huggy, but I feel that his hard nosed approach doesn't mesh with kids of today. They need a hug, though I feel many need a kick in the ass. It's a far different generation that Huggy or most of us on here grew up with. What kid wants to run the treadmill just to get all busted up when he cannot keep up with it and wipes out? Hell, I wouldn't want to do that even if I was 18 or 19 years old. For what? What other coach has the same approach that Huggy has and is successful?

We knock off a #1 team and then lose to 2 teams, almost 3 (Texas ran out of time), that had no business beating us. But they did. It happens. You cannot press all day everyday. Sure, it wears out the other team but just for 1 or 2 games, when we face them. He needs to find that guys who will compliment the press. Guys who can hit that 15 foot jumper. The press shouldn't be the only means for you to generate offense. Let's not talk about free throws.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Slaton, there are 128 teams playing 1A football, 351 playing div 1 basketball...........even making the field of 64 is an accomplishment, if football were the same, there would be only 12 bowl games, and it would be a feather in your cap to get to one.....Let me tell you what else is impossible, it is impossible to win a football championship with just offense......I will take Huggins all day, every day as my basketball coach.
That's not a 1 for 1. In basketball, 32 teams who win their conference are automatically placed in the tourney. You could be a shitty team and still make it just by getting hot at the right time. The balance are selected by a selection committee. That is why a Big 12 school will get more teams in than somebody from the Ivy or Patriot League. The FCS schools are not considered on the football side.
To quote your same source:
Basketball - 351 teams; 32 Conferences
Football - 128 FBS + 125 FCS; 10 FBS Conferences + 13 FCS.

It appears to me that football decided to eliminate the smaller schools from their equation, even though the numbers are almost the same. Sounds like your placing blame on Gibson's defense for some of these losses. It shouldn't be a feather in your cap to beat somebody from the Patriot League or even a Stephen F. Austin.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a 1 for 1. In basketball, 32 teams who win their conference are automatically placed in the tourney. You could be a shitty team and still make it just by getting hot at the right time. The balance are selected by a selection committee. That is why a Big 12 school will get more teams in than somebody from the Ivy or Patriot League. The FCS schools are not considered on the football side.
To quote your same source:
Basketball - 351 teams; 32 Conferences
Football - 128 FBS + 125 FCS; 10 FBS Conferences + 13 FCS.

It appears to me that football decided to eliminate the smaller schools from their equation, even though the numbers are almost the same. Sounds like your placing blame on Gibson's defense for some of these losses. It shouldn't be a feather in your cap to beat somebody from the Patriot League or even a Stephen F. Austin.
1AA football doesn't count toward the "playoff" total, there are 128 schools playing 1A (top level) (FBS) there are nearly three times that many playing div 1 basketball (top level) hence my comparing the sweet sixteen to the BS "playoff". If you want the REAL numbers, as they will never include a non "power 5" school in their "playoff" the numbers favor Huggins even more. There are 64 teams in the "power 5", so one of every 16 teams goes to the "playoff", 1/16 of college basketball's top division comes out to about 23 teams, so if basketball makes the round of 32 half the time, and the sweet 16 half the time, they are in Alabama's class in football. Huggin's is a great coach, who is still recovering from the failed recruiting job he did several years ago with the complete washed out class. BUT, per some it is a great accomplishment to beat "power5" teams like Kansas, Duke, IAST, Purdue in football........league means NOTHING, TEAMS play both kinds of ball!!!!

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forever the Spinologist. You're counting teams on the basketball side who are comprable to FCS teams in football. There are over 125 teams in basketball who will never make the tournament but every 10 - 20 years. When they expanded the 64, people asked why? How often has a number 1 seed loose to a #16? Don't forget those powerhouse teams like SFA who make it in and then rolled the Mountaineers. Broke the press like nobody's business and what was our response? Press some more because we couldn't transition into nothing else. A future HOF HC who can't secure 1 or 2 players who can play ball. An all around ball player. After all, you expect it out of that other coach. Things you didn't even expect out of your own Bill Stewart.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forever the Spinologist. You're counting teams on the basketball side who are comprable to FCS teams in football. There are over 125 teams in basketball who will never make the tournament but every 10 - 20 years. When they expanded the 64, people asked why? How often has a number 1 seed loose to a #16? Don't forget those powerhouse teams like SFA who make it in and then rolled the Mountaineers. Broke the press like nobody's business and what was our response? Press some more because we couldn't transition into nothing else. A future HOF HC who can't secure 1 or 2 players who can play ball. An all around ball player. After all, you expect it out of that other coach. Things you didn't even expect out of your own Bill Stewart.
No, sir they are NOT the FCS level, they play at the top level of college basketball, and they are eligible to play in and win the tourney.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our press is a gimmick to cover the teams obvious lack of talent. We play Kansas tomorrow. Could our starting lineup of 3 3 star guys and 2 4 star guys even be on the same floor with Kansas with 4-5 star talent all over the floor?

When you cannot get the star players, gimmicks can help. Catlett went for 20 years playing the same style as everyone else and rarely made the tourney. Beilein used the Stanford offense and 3 point shooting as a gimmick. Huggs played strong defense and when the rules changed, went to the press defense. If we only had a good offense.

I think if we keep Devon Williams and a real inside threat, we would be really tough. As it is now, on a good night, we can beat anybody and on a bad night we can lose to anybody.

I agree about Devon Williams...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this team miss Devin Williams? Absolutely.

The 3 kids rotating through the 5 position this year... Watkins, Macon and Konate have all been inconsistent. Williams was pretty reliable.

Last year, Williams, Macon and Watkins shared the 5. Their cumulative scoring total was 18.4. This year's trio is 16.5. Saturday night, all 3 of the 5's were in foul trouble, and it really affected their production.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, sir they are NOT the FCS level, they play at the top level of college basketball, and they are eligible to play in and win the tourney.
Who is they? SFS? Are you implying that more, as in more basketball teams, is better and makes it harder to get in the tourney?

How is it easier to get into the football playoffs? Only 4 teams get in. Football already made the decision to cut out the FCS portion of the schools. There are 32 teams that automatically get invited with another, what, 67 teams getting an invite? It'seems not a 1 for 1 comparison that you threw out there. Many of the basketball conferences will only have 1 team in the tourney because the rest of team do not play a strong schedule. In football, it can get as low as only 3 conferences being represented. The stronger conferences will get more teams in on the basketball side of the equation.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love some of our fans, could you imagine if their man crush beat #1 and #2 in the same season???? Huggins is one hell of a basketball coach, I don't care what two "fans" on here say!!! MAD, let me make it easy for you......... 64 teams are eligible for the CFP, 4 make it, 1/16 chance, do you grasp that???? In basketball 351 teams are eligible for the big dance. got that???? 1/16 of 351 is 22, do you understand???? getting to the sweet 16 is mathematically harder than making the CFP. I don't care how the teams are chosen, how many teams come from each conference, or what excuses some try to make.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Huggs were worth a shit, he would have won a conference championship by now. How many years has his fat ass been coaching in Morgantown?

So he knocks off an overrated basketball team every once in awhile. That is supposed to mean more than losing to sub .500 teams?

Great coaches don't have to make excuses. Great coaches don't throw their players under the bus regularly.

I guess for some of the deeply insecure West Virginians out there, being told repeatedly how much he loves WV... how much the hillbilly coal miners mean to him... creates deep devotion. We of the weak soul and mind can trust Huggy, becasue he's one of us.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Huggs were worth a shit, he would have won a conference championship by now. How many years has his fat ass been coaching in Morgantown?

So he knocks off an overrated basketball team every once in awhile. That is supposed to mean more than losing to sub .500 teams?

Great coaches don't have to make excuses. Great coaches don't throw their players under the bus regularly.

I guess for some of the deeply insecure West Virginians out there, being told repeatedly how much he loves WV... how much the hillbilly coal miners mean to him... creates deep devotion. We of the weak soul and mind can trust Huggy, becasue he's one of us.
man, you have some issues!!!! I guess Self and Calipari aren't any good either? Is Saban running a gimmick, since he relies on his defense scoring and creating more opportunities for his offense....sad, sad man

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this team miss Devin Williams? Absolutely.

The 3 kids rotating through the 5 position this year... Watkins, Macon and Konate have all been inconsistent. Williams was pretty reliable.

Last year, Williams, Macon and Watkins shared the 5. Their cumulative scoring total was 18.4. This year's trio is 16.5. Saturday night, all 3 of the 5's were in foul trouble, and it really affected their production.

Gotta believe there was a big difference in rebounds with Williams ..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True dat!

:agree:

Great point BBW...why hasn't Hugg's won the Big12 yet?...his a future HOF Coach!..is it talent?..of someone starts to point to that ...I will throw up in my mouth...That here we have an HALL OF FAME Coach that can't get 1 single 5 star to come to Wv...year in and year out..were at Kentucky ...that's all they get...I am just looking for one!..BTW just curious are the basketball Assistant Coaches on one year contracts??...answer is a resounding NO for those who think there are some of us trying to launch a conspiracy theory of Lying Shane Lyons and his CLEAR double standard...

Yet the expectation seems higher for Dana to land more top end talent....of course there is...thats how the old boy network in Hillbilly USA works!!

Last edited:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta believe there was a big difference in rebounds with Williams ..

The overall difference is not that big. I would need to look at defensive rebounds though. WVU has struggled in this department this year. Once again though... they are among the nation's leaders in offensive boards.

What hurts our defensive rebounds is the fact we constantly try to trap in the half-court some 30-40 feet from the basket with one of our bigs. In conference play, all of our attempts to trap have been futile... and does nothing but give our opponents wide open shots and easy offensive boards as we're chasing the ball all over the court!

More defensive genius by our fat ass alcoholic...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True dat!

:agree:

Great point BBW...why hasn't Hugg's won the Big12 yet?...his a future HOF Coach!..is it talent?..of someone starts to point to that ...I will throw up in my mouth...That here we have an HALL OF FAME Coach that can't get 1 single 5 star to come to Wv...year in and year out..were at Kentucky ...that's all they get...I am just looking for one!..BTW just curious are the basketball Assistant Coaches on one year contracts??...answer is a resounding NO for those who think there are some of us trying to launch a conspiracy theory of Lying Shane Lyons and his CLEAR double standard...

Yet the expectation seems higher for Dana to land more top end talent....of course there is...thats how the old boy network in Hillbilly USA works!!
Huggins hasn't won the B12 because Kansas has a better team most years, pretty simple. Huggins did more this WEEK than Holgorsen will do in 20 years.......

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggins hasn't won the B12 because Kansas has a better team most years, pretty simple. Huggins did more this WEEK than Holgorsen will do in 20 years.......

WTF???? Holgorsen has beat Kansas many times, even at their place.........WTF are you smoking????

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love some of our fans, could you imagine if their man crush beat #1 and #2 in the same season???? Huggins is one hell of a basketball coach, I don't care what two "fans" on here say!!! MAD, let me make it easy for you......... 64 teams are eligible for the CFP, 4 make it, 1/16 chance, do you grasp that???? In basketball 351 teams are eligible for the big dance. got that???? 1/16 of 351 is 22, do you understand???? getting to the sweet 16 is mathematically harder than making the CFP. I don't care how the teams are chosen, how many teams come from each conference, or what excuses some try to make.
I understand that you are ignorant as fuck. Football dumped the dead wood already. Do your math again, Einstein. 64 teams are eligible? You better check how many Div I-A teams there are. I already gave you the number. Are you getting a performance bonus for 2016?