• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How a few recent draft blunders hurt the Patriots' defense in the Super Bowl

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense was atrocious in the Super Bowl there is NO question about that and they had their WORST game of the season that is for sure but who knows what truly would have happened if they made other draft picks... I mean they just as easily couldn't have made the Super Bowl in the first place

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easley, Richards and Jones have turned out to be very bad picks. Man I hate the “could have” game. It can be so depressing.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richards sucks so bad, I completely forgot about Easley

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but it’s the same discussion every season ... but we have to admit, this was one of the strangest seasons for the defense

how many times did we see the backs out of position ... seemingly surprised like broken communication with shoulder shrugs after getting burned? ... the time it took for Gilmore to be effective? ... the desperate last minute moves on the safeties to cover .... and finally topped off with sitting a dressed Butler watching as the d blew the Sb?

the final stunner to me, like butler sitting the entire game, was the lack of adjusting the D backfield during the entire season

... and then the void still present from Collins and Jones left wide open

strange ... very strange

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always easy to shit on what happened two, three, four years ago. We're all experts after the fact.

How many people thought Tom Brady was anything in 1999? He couldn't beat out Drew Henson for the starting job at Michigan. If Bledsoe hadn't been hurt in the Jets game, would Brady have been a Patriot in 2004? Would the Patriots have won a Suoer Bowl in 2001, 2003, 2004? With Bledsoe at the helm, I don't think so. If Brady had become a free agent in 2004, where might he have landed? Miami? Kansas City? San Francisco??

As for the defensive players that Belichick "blundered" on, how many has he hit squarely oin the head with his hammer? Malcom Brown, Dontae Hightower, Devin McCourty, Malcom Butler, Deatrich Wise, Duron Harmon.....
For every one missed, there's one that was a direct hit.

It's the off season and writers are bored. It's fun to scratch at scabs and see how much blood you can draw.

Maybe the writer of this article should make 7 picks in this draft before hand and see how good those picks are in three years. Why three years? Because it took that long to realize the value of Jimmy Garapollo. You know the guy everyone thought was a wasted pick in the second round of the 2014 draft.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree on Fuller and Richards.

the rest is purely hindsight.

IMO you gotta just look at the process.

Easley was a no brainer pick there. He got hurt a bit. Those things happen.

But Fuller man, I would've been happy with Fuller in the FIRST round for Tenn. I was obsessed with that guy.

When they took freaking Dodd over him I almost lost it.

What an atrocious franchise.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people thought Tom Brady was anything in 1999? He couldn't beat out Drew Henson for the starting job at Michigan. If Bledsoe hadn't been hurt in the Jets game, would Brady have been a Patriot in 2004? Would the Patriots have won a Suoer Bowl in 2001, 2003, 2004? With Bledsoe at the helm, I don't think so. If Brady had become a free agent in 2004, where might he have landed? Miami? Kansas City? San Francisco??

Bill Polian thought Brady was a first round talent.

I believe Brady would have been a Patriot in '04.
Bill saw enough of him in 2000 to keep 4 QB's, the only 2 in 2001.
Tom was going to beat out Drew in '02 or '03.
Which SB's they would have won...???

Anybody's guess.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always easy to shit on what happened two, three, four years ago. We're all experts after the fact.

As for the defensive players that Belichick "blundered" on, how many has he hit squarely oin the head with his hammer? Malcom Brown, Dontae Hightower, Devin McCourty, Malcom Butler, Deatrich Wise, Duron Harmon.....
For every one missed, there's one that was a direct hit.

It's the off season and writers are bored. It's fun to scratch at scabs and see how much blood you can draw.

Maybe the writer of this article should make 7 picks in this draft before hand and see how good those picks are in three years. Why three years? Because it took that long to realize the value of Jimmy Garapollo. You know the guy everyone thought was a wasted pick in the second round of the 2014 draft.
I think the Brady analysis at Michigan is way over played. The fact is he demonstrated time and again he was the better QB, but nobody wanted to believe their eyes. Brady was brought in as a respectable bench player until his play finally proved otherwise.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reasons or bad reasons - you just can't win them all. Even the Patriots. We were 9 minutes from a Superbowl championship with a decimated defense. What few players we had available were defending out of position. A good offense and a bad match up beat us - but not by much. We came within a PI call and 2point conversion from pulling it off anyways.

Rewind and lets give it another try.....