• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Houston in six

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HurricaneDij39

Your trade proposal in theory is sound, but the value you place on it is not correct. There are a lot more workable options out there than this for the Kings if it was their goal to accept incoming salary. They may very well do that, but you need to match the compensation to what it's worth.

Or, the trade proposal is a quite sound one and it's just a matter of you and @msgkings322 simply prefer to not have any real competition in your path to the finals.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But value is relative when the goal is to absorb contracts to tank. They don't really get a return because neither player is in their future goals. You just said they're not going to hurt the youth movement.

And tanking would do Sacramento no good next season, for they currently don't own a 2019 first rounder. Tucker and MKG are good veteran role players who could speed up a youth movement without taking shots away from the young guys.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, the trade proposal is a quite sound one and it's just a matter of you and @msgkings322 simply prefer to not have any real competition in your path to the finals.

No, it's actually really, really bad. Sacramento should fire their entire front office if that trade happened.

I feel like I should break this down another way. Here's how this conversation would go with the front office.

Divac: Hey Vivek, we have a trade. We just got a 1st Round pick and all we had to use is cap space.
Vivek: That's great, how much?
Divac: Well 21M for this year.
Vivek: That's a bit steep.
Divac: 21M for next year too.
Vivek: WTF.
Divac: Oh and 8M for 2020.
Vivek: So you just paid 50M for a singular 1st round draft pick? What is it the 1st pick? 3rd pick? We already have the 2nd.
Divac: It's Houston's. So probably 29th or 30th.
Vivek: WTF. Well who did we get back?
Divac: That's the great thing, we got MKG and PJ Tucker back.
Vivek: Don't they play the same position though?
Divac: Don't worry they won't block anyone's path to success. They're both wings. We don't have one on the team right now.
Vivek: What position does Doncic play?
Divac: ............

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Kings are taking on everyone's bad contracts for low draft picks, maybe the Lakers can get them to take Deng's contract along with the #25 pick? :yes:

Pretty sure he won't disrupt anyone's youth movement. Hell, the Kings wouldn't even have to give him a uniform.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't lose another game this series. :suds:

But, should they lose, it would make them considerable favorites to sign LeBron. You have to think there will be a little more urgency within their front office to get it done if they were in fact going to lose in the conference finals. I'm sure a team like Sacramento (who has no 2019 first round pick, mind you), Atlanta, or Dallas would have no issues absorbing the contracts of Tucker and Gordon to help Houston sign LeBron.

So, be careful what you wish for. Go Warriors! LOL

My three-team trade proposal is as follows:
  • Charlotte gets: Eric Gordon
  • Sacramento gets: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, P.J. Tucker, and a first round pick (from Houston)
  • Houston gets: cap space to sign LeBron
I wouldn't ever thought you to be a Vodka drinker. This sounds like you had way to much. I hope you don't have a drinking problem bro.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd being todd again
Who in the Hell would take Gilchrist for a draft pick that will be close to dead last?

I just hope Pelinka and Magic Johnson talks them first, so they can unload Deng while they are at it:pound:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Kings are taking on everyone's bad contracts for low draft picks, maybe the Lakers can get them to take Deng's contract along with the #25 pick? :yes:

Pretty sure he won't disrupt anyone's youth movement. Hell, the Kings wouldn't even have to give him a uniform.
You took the words out of my mouth - I swear to God, that I did not see this post when I said almost the same thing:pound::pound:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite sure but I think Ryan Anderson would need to be the deal that got moved for cap space. Also CP3 is up for free agency as well.

But mostly, I don't agree with the value you have on this trade. Sacramento would get a late 1st round pick and take on 20M plus in salary for at least two years. That's horrible trade value for Sacramento. There's no value to them doing that because neither MKG or Tucker make them really any better. That would be one of the most expensive late first round draft picks in NBA history.
I would argue that both players makes them worse and sets them back from their rebuilding process by at least two years

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And tanking would do Sacramento no good next season, for they currently don't own a 2019 first rounder. Tucker and MKG are good veteran role players who could speed up a youth movement without taking shots away from the young guys.
Tucker averages 6 points per game and 5 rebounds
Gilchrist averages 10 points and 4 rebounds
You're calling that good Veteran role players? In the G league or the WNBA?

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's actually really, really bad. Sacramento should fire their entire front office if that trade happened.

I feel like I should break this down another way. Here's how this conversation would go with the front office.

Divac: Hey Vivek, we have a trade. We just got a 1st Round pick and all we had to use is cap space.
Vivek: That's great, how much?
Divac: Well 21M for this year.
Vivek: That's a bit steep.
Divac: 21M for next year too.
Vivek: WTF.
Divac: Oh and 8M for 2020.
Vivek: So you just paid 50M for a singular 1st round draft pick? What is it the 1st pick? 3rd pick? We already have the 2nd.
Divac: It's Houston's. So probably 29th or 30th.
Vivek: WTF. Well who did we get back?
Divac: That's the great thing, we got MKG and PJ Tucker back.
Vivek: Don't they play the same position though?
Divac: Don't worry they won't block anyone's path to success. They're both wings. We don't have one on the team right now.
Vivek: What position does Doncic play?
Divac: ............

A few things:

1) I'd call these guys pure frontcourt players before I'd call them "true wings" (You don't want MKG playing SG, do you?:scratch:). Throw in the fact that Sacramento finished 28th in total defense this season, so these guys would have plenty of value to them.

2) Teams heading into a given season without a first round pick are often not afraid to take a chance on a questionable contract. Brooklyn, for instance, absorbed the contracts of DeMarre Carroll, Timofey Mozgov, and Allen Crabbe LAST SUMMER IN ITSELF. That's $132 million over three years worth of questionable contracts. I assume you must think D'Angelo Russell is an MVP candidate and is in fact worth $132 million over three years by himself and hence worth absorbing all that salary.

3) If TLF says something is a bad trade then there's a strong likelihood that it's a good trade.:nod:

It's not the same thing and you know it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

1) I'd call these guys pure frontcourt players before I'd call them "true wings" (You don't want MKG playing SG, do you?:scratch:). Throw in the fact that Sacramento finished 28th in total defense this season, so these guys would have plenty of value to them.

2) Teams heading into a given season without a first round pick are often not afraid to take a chance on a questionable contract. Brooklyn, for instance, absorbed the contracts of DeMarre Carroll, Timofey Mozgov, and Allen Crabbe LAST SUMMER IN ITSELF. That's $132 million over three years worth of questionable contracts. I assume you must think D'Angelo Russell is an MVP candidate and is in fact worth $132 million over three years by himself and hence worth absorbing all that salary.

3) If TLF says something is a bad trade then there's a strong likelihood that it's a good trade.:nod:

Well,

First off, the "wing" position has traditionally been 2 and 3, not just two. Even in the 80s the 3 position was a lot more like the 2 than it was the 4.

Today 2-4 are becoming more and more interchangeable as the traditional 4 is dying and teams are going with with more perimeter oriented guys. PJ Tucker is a valuable piece because he can play 3 or 4 in a small lineup. But, as others have said, his value is limited to contending teams that need a role player. But, he can shoot and defend.

MKG? Not so much. He is not very good offensively. Bad contract for sure.

As for your Nets example, I don't think it applies. Mostly because it didn't work. DLo has a ton more upside than anyone you have Sacto taking, but like I said last summer, the Nets' moves were short sighted because they made them only marginally better and put them in cap hell, thereby delaying their actual rebuild a couple more seasons.

I don't think you should be using the Nets as an example of what other teams should be doing.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few things:

I mean if you think it's great value, that's fine lol. I'm just here to tell you it was a horrible trade. And literally everyone in this thread and on this board has agreed. But you still cling to your logic here on why this benefits Sacramento. LOL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if you think it's great value, that's fine lol. I'm just here to tell you it was a horrible trade. And literally everyone in this thread and on this board has agreed. But you still cling to your logic here on why this benefits Sacramento. LOL.

Who cares if it benefits Sacramento? The Kings don't always seem to concern themselves with that lol.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't have to be, which is the point I've been trying to make all along.

Again, there's a salary cap floor teams have to meet or otherwise they get penalized. That's why Brooklyn spent their money the way they did knowing they didn't have a first rounder the following summer.

Why don't you just tell me who the Kings should spend their cap on if not on these two that I mentioned? Would you hand out $50 million over four years on Jerami Grant???:scratch:

How about Alex Len? :L

There aren't going to be many, if any, FA's in this 2018 class thinking about Sacramento as a legit option at this point in their careers. Jahlil Okafor??? Now there's a good way to maintain your 28th-ranked defense right there...LOL

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to be, which is the point I've been trying to make all along.

Again, there's a salary cap floor teams have to meet or otherwise they get penalized. That's why Brooklyn spent their money the way they did knowing they didn't have a first rounder the following summer.

Why don't you just tell me who the Kings should spend their cap on if not on these two that I mentioned? Would you hand out $50 million over four years on Jerami Grant???:scratch:

How about Alex Len? :L

There aren't going to be many, if any, FA's in this 2018 class thinking about Sacramento as a legit option at this point in their careers. Jahlil Okafor??? Now there's a good way to maintain your 28th-ranked defense right there...LOL

Just because you have to spend money, doesn't mean you have to spend it on garbage. LOL.

Why do you think JJ Redick got a 1 year 23M contract from Philly? Same principle. They could have gotten him for way less annually if they signed him long term, but ask yourself why they didn't?

If you have to reach a salary cap floor, there are much smarter ways to do while still preserving cap space and not just throwing it away. At worst, you know what you could trade a huge expiring contract for?

You could also use that cap space to take fliers on other guys who didn't get a fair shake or could have a turn-around with your organization. It's completely short sighted to give away THREE YEARS worth of cap space for a pick that is going to be 30th. The Warriors paid 3.5M for the 38th pick just last year. But you want the Kings to use 50M in committed salary for that pick?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, its not unusual for teams to not bother to hit the floor. The penalty is just splitting the difference among the players on the roster or something like that. It's not a huge penalty to where teams will take on bad salary just to avoid it

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think JJ Redick got a 1 year 23M contract from Philly? Same principle. They could have gotten him for way less annually if they signed him long term, but ask yourself why they didn't?

Exactly. It's why the Lakers took on Brooke Lopez and KCP. 1 year deals that gave them solid vets and got them to the cap floor.

As you said, much smarter ways to get to the cap floor than bringing in bad contracts with multiple years.