• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tau (2018)

On Netflix! This was a unique film. The plot was very linear but with such a secluded setting it was forced to be creative. I found a lot of similarities with Don't Breathe in that aspect. The first thing that catches your attention is the filming styles & lighting work. They are superbly done with great use of color. Some pretty well framed shots especially in confined spaces. Typically in these settings the directors will fill up the majority of the run-time with lots of close-ups & restrained angles, but this wasn't the case. In Federico D'Alessandro's debut as director he got everything right, but where this film fails is in the writing.

For what could have been a very tense & dramatic thriller, this film seems to drag at times due in large part to a script that fails to provide much detail. The character building for Julia should have focused on her survival & intelligence skills rather than her thievery. We are basically forced to understand that this grifter is simply a very intelligent/jack-of-all-trades type of thief. Budding horror princess Maika Monroe stars as the main protagonist and did a great job. I always get her confused with Amber Heard, but I think Monroe is a much better actress. Ed Skrein also put on a good performance. Not really the most well-rounded antagonist, but he pairs well with Tau. Gary Oldman is rather wasted as the voice of Tau. The story isn't very compelling so the acting was definitely hindered, which was a shame for such a great cast. It fell a bit short in its ability to make the viewers connect with Julia. I felt more sorry for Tau than I ever did for her.

I wonder if this story could have used a bit more time to really develop into something greater. But I'm not all too sure that this plot had the juice to squeeze. The concept was simple. And it made me wonder if someone was a big Iron Man fan and thought Tony Stark's AI 'Jarvis' would make a good horror film. This sci-fi thriller felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone but with a glossier presentation. It lacked the excitement & storyline to make it more of a motion picture than a TV-movie. More drama than thriller. It sports a great cast and has good cgi, but fails to stick the landing. Decent entertainment though.

Decent sci-fi TV movie but lacks a compelling storyline... 6.5/10

Just watched it. Agreed that it is pretty good but not great. 6ish rating imo.

It started out very intriguing but, as you noted, it dragged some after the scenario had been revealed. I think they should have kept it in the lab and containment areas a little longer to establish how screwed the scenario is. Instead they jump to the next phase and explore the human/AI relationship more.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Train to Busan 2016 Korean Zombie movie (with sub titles)

Yea, another Korean horror movie from me (You got a problem with that?)

I would give it a 7, no problem.

For a Zombie movie this is different. They really make you love the cast and the zombies are a bit different. But they could have used some more CGI.

R.J did a review on it last year. Cool flick!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was going to write about The Strangers Prey at Night but I saw that like 3-4 people have already expressed their displeasure.

I didn't think it was a horrible movie but it pales in comparison to the first one, which was excellent. If it was a stand alone it would be ok (5.5ish) but it drops a half a point to a point due to the first movie being a recent near-classic.

My biggest gripe is, for me, a huge part of what made the first one great is that it was a plausible situation and the characters had rational decision making. I could watch it and say "yeah that's what I would do", and then it totally backfires on them.

In the 2nd one, it is the complete opposite. Whatever the logical choice was, they would choose the exact opposite. I found myself rooting for the strangers.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest gripe is, for me, a huge part of what made the first one great is that it was a plausible situation and the characters had rational decision making. I could watch it and say "yeah that's what I would do", and then it totally backfires on them.

In the 2nd one, it is the complete opposite. Whatever the logical choice was, they would choose the exact opposite. I found myself rooting for the strangers.

I can't disagree. I think we were rating The Strangers at an 8 to 8.5 range but the Prey at Night sequel comes in at about a mediocre 5ish.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see The Domestics yet? Holy crap!

Did you ever wonder what it would be like to cross The Road Warrior with cult classic The Warriors? Well, wonder no more and just tune into this apocalyptic nightmare!

Kate Bosworth and her facial hair husband cross post-apocalyptic Wisconsin gang territory to try to reunite with her family. At first she is a sniveling waste of space who her husband has to carry but over time she toughens up and goes full bad-ass on the situation.

Bullets fly, heads explode, crazy misogynistic gang members attack, and general mayhem ensues!

There are plenty of plot holes and I really wish they had followed up on the background motivations and maybe a closer look at the worldwide situation.......but that being said: If you are a fan of gritty post-apocalyptic violence with a 70's explotation like I am, then this is a movie for you!!

For some stupid reason this is currently getting a 5.7 on IMDB (screw you guys) but for me it immediately shoots to the top of my best of the year list. I will go 8.5-9.0 range with only complaints being that they could have explored the post-apocalyptic scenario further and better, a lack of gratuitous nudity, and I would have loved even more crazed anti-social violence!!

Check it out folks!

The Domestics (2018)

Thanks for the rec @jakedog56!

This movie was a wild ride. Jake made a spot-on reference to this movie & the likes of Walter Hill's The Warriors & The Road Warrior. I'd even throw in hints of Mad Max with all the crazy gang attire. Also felt a bit reminiscent of the Book of Eli, if Eli Roth had directed it. This is one of those "empty your brain and enjoy" types of mindless entertainment flicks. As jake pointed out, there are plenty of plot holes. Also we are confronted with what I like to call character suicide, for not just 1, but both of the main characters. First we have the wife who I agree was a complete waste of space, but she transcends into this Tom-Hardy level post-apocalypse badass. It was difficult to understand the progression, but again, turn off the brain and just enjoy the mayhem. Second, the husband went the complete opposite route. In the beginning he dispatches 2 gang members with relative ease, then by the movie's climax (when I finally realized that he wasn't the John Tucker dude) he's a mere bystander to the chaos and looks like he's suffering sudden-onset PTSD. It was an odd flip-flop of sorts with those 2 characters but it was obscured within the chaos and miscellaneous oddities that this film presented.

From an overly polite cannibalistic family to a very odd Slim Shady Pee-Wee Herman, this movie was chalked full of crazy characters. Some would call it over the top, but honestly this film never tried to be based in realism. And the plot had plenty of twists & turns to accompany these miscreants which equated to a ton of action-packed suspense. You never knew what craziness was in store. Acting was great from top to bottom.

Overall this movie was a great new addition to the post-apocalypse genre. This film takes a lot of risks. As pointed out earlier, it is over the top in just about every way conceivable. And it also presents a lot of plotlines that lead nowhere but still manages to contain resolution to give it a more realistic feel. Most movies get crucified for doing those things. If you are in the mood for mindless entertainment, then this is the movie for you. Tons of crazy, and tons of gore. Just what the doctor ordered.

8/10

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even a sniff of a convo? C'mon guys!

This shit is gonna be GOLD!
What's there to add really? Will be more of the same from the first, some new characters thrown in the mix, some new rules, maybe an old face (zombie zombie Bill Murray).

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised to see all of the original main actors and the 2 original writers are back in! Hopefully that bodes well for continuity and a similar feel.

I lost all hope after seeing the gawd awful tv series pilot.
I cannot believe that its been 10 years since the first... Does not feel like its been that long. But I fear that most people are going to view this as too late.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot believe that its been 10 years since the first... Does not feel like its been that long. But I fear that most people are going to view this as too late.
I don't know if I'd view a sequel as too late. If there's a linear storyline someone wants to tell, great. If it's more of trying to be a cash grab off of something that previously did well, my expectations are lowered and I imagine it'll be a slightly watered down film from the original I enjoyed. I'm still going to watch it and hopes will be high with the writers and cast, but end of the day, I view it as a comedy overall, so Hangover II is the expectation.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'd view a sequel as too late. If there's a linear storyline someone wants to tell, great. If it's more of trying to be a cash grab off of something that previously did well, my expectations are lowered and I imagine it'll be a slightly watered down film from the original I enjoyed. I'm still going to watch it and hopes will be high with the writers and cast, but end of the day, I view it as a comedy overall, so Hangover II is the expectation.
Hangover 2 came out just 2 years after the original though. And that wasn’t very good at all. This is 10 years we’re talkin here. Plus I would expect the ceiling to be a little higher for a Zombieland sequel.

But it doesn’t bother me none. I will pay to see it since I’m a huge fan of the original. Just worried the hiatus won’t produce good results.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hangover 2 came out just 2 years after the original though. And that wasn’t very good at all. This is 10 years we’re talkin here. Plus I would expect the ceiling to be a little higher for a Zombieland sequel.

But it doesn’t bother me none. I will pay to see it since I’m a huge fan of the original. Just worried the hiatus won’t produce good results.
that being said, i think your worry would cancel out with mine, as far as the hiatus. There was no plan for a hangover ii, but they did one based off of the success of the first. There was no plan for a zombieland 2, but they're doing so off the success of the first.While it could be they've been waiting not he cast to get together to film, I'd also venture, the writers wanted to get something together first as well.

Granted, I'm coming at this after seeing SuperTroopers 2 in theaters, love the first movie, the second came out after some time and a kickstarter to get it going, it wasn't as good as the first. Sure, I'm not the college kid watching it that I was at the time, most of the best bits were the call backs, which are kind of cheap laughs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that being said, i think your worry would cancel out with mine, as far as the hiatus. There was no plan for a hangover ii, but they did one based off of the success of the first. There was no plan for a zombieland 2, but they're doing so off the success of the first.While it could be they've been waiting not he cast to get together to film, I'd also venture, the writers wanted to get something together first as well.

Granted, I'm coming at this after seeing SuperTroopers 2 in theaters, love the first movie, the second came out after some time and a kickstarter to get it going, it wasn't as good as the first. Sure, I'm not the college kid watching it that I was at the time, most of the best bits were the call backs, which are kind of cheap laughs.
Yea I'm sure it will be fine. Shouldn't be too difficult to write a script outline. Just rinse & repeat essentially, in a different setting with different motives. And I pray they figure a way out to include Zombie Bill Murray!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hiatuses don't matter much if the movie gets good reviews or has nostalgic previews... Maybe show Woody in a Truck full of twinkies in the preview...

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hiatuses don't matter much if the movie gets good reviews or has nostalgic previews... Maybe show Woody in a Truck full of twinkies in the preview...
I'm sure comicon (which starts Wednesday in San Diego) will have a big unveiling with something really simple like that.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they keep a realistic time line for the actors ages
The Domestics (2018)

Thanks for the rec @jakedog56!

This movie was a wild ride. Jake made a spot-on reference to this movie & the likes of Walter Hill's The Warriors & The Road Warrior. I'd even throw in hints of Mad Max with all the crazy gang attire. Also felt a bit reminiscent of the Book of Eli, if Eli Roth had directed it. This is one of those "empty your brain and enjoy" types of mindless entertainment flicks. As jake pointed out, there are plenty of plot holes. Also we are confronted with what I like to call character suicide, for not just 1, but both of the main characters. First we have the wife who I agree was a complete waste of space, but she transcends into this Tom-Hardy level post-apocalypse badass. It was difficult to understand the progression, but again, turn off the brain and just enjoy the mayhem. Second, the husband went the complete opposite route. In the beginning he dispatches 2 gang members with relative ease, then by the movie's climax (when I finally realized that he wasn't the John Tucker dude) he's a mere bystander to the chaos and looks like he's suffering sudden-onset PTSD. It was an odd flip-flop of sorts with those 2 characters but it was obscured within the chaos and miscellaneous oddities that this film presented.

From an overly polite cannibalistic family to a very odd Slim Shady Pee-Wee Herman, this movie was chalked full of crazy characters. Some would call it over the top, but honestly this film never tried to be based in realism. And the plot had plenty of twists & turns to accompany these miscreants which equated to a ton of action-packed suspense. You never knew what craziness was in store. Acting was great from top to bottom.

Overall this movie was a great new addition to the post-apocalypse genre. This film takes a lot of risks. As pointed out earlier, it is over the top in just about every way conceivable. And it also presents a lot of plotlines that lead nowhere but still manages to contain resolution to give it a more realistic feel. Most movies get crucified for doing those things. If you are in the mood for mindless entertainment, then this is the movie for you. Tons of crazy, and tons of gore. Just what the doctor ordered.

8/10

Glad you liked it also! It isnt quite The Road Warrior level but it is upper echelon in the post apocalypse genre.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of good stuff.....HOLY SCHIZNITT!!!! Did anyone see the trailer for Overlord yet?

This looks like it has EPIC potential. Let's all hope that JJ Abrams doesn't screw this up!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two of my greatest Horror Movie Guilty Pleasures:

220px-Jason_x.jpg

MV5BYjM1NTE0NjItMWM0OS00NmRlLTk2OWUtOTViNGM0MDFhMGQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4Mzg3Nw@@._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Lol, I can't help it, I love both of these movies "to death". BWAHH HA HA!!! :pound::pound::pound:

Who's got some guilty pleasures of their own??